Integrating with Amazon Echo?

Kentinada

I have been an ISY994i user for some time. I also use Mobilinc on my iPhone and iPad.  But I just where my Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostats are controllable via Amazon Echo.  That lead me to the INSTEON hub which led me to a thread that said I could integrate my ISY994i with Echo.  Whew!   

What I'm looking for is some clear documentation on the ISY Portal and how to connect it to Echo.  And what happens to Mobilinc?  Do I simply stop using that?  Any pointers to integrating ISY with Echo would be most appreciated.  I have several programs and scenes in my ISY that I don't want to abandon. 

Thanks!!

There is a MobiLinc skill for use with the Echo or Dot. Check out the MobiLinc forum on this site. They are currently working on a "Smarthome" skill so you don't have to keep using "Ask MobiLinc" or "Tell MobiLinc". But to answer your questions, if you sign up for the ISY Portal you have to give up your MobiLinc subscription and unload the MobiLinc module. You can use the ISY Portal to access your system remotely. You can use MobiLinc with the ISY Portal but GeoFencing in MobiLinc will no longer work. You have to use an alternative method for GeoFencing as described in the Wiki.

I do prefer the ISY Portal implementation but YMMV.

So I received my Echo and it's installed and working.  It is linked to my Honeywell thermostats.  Now its time to do the INSTEON integration.  I've read a bit and see the ISY portal.  But if I go that route, what client on my iPhone would I use to access my INSTEON devices remotely?  Today, I use Mobilnc with their subscription service.  Isn't the ISY Portal just the communicates vehicle, i.e. it is not a client app? 

Michel,

I have attached a screenshot from my iphone although its hard to read.  But when I did it from scratch, I entered my email address and ISY portal password in the User Name and Password field as directed.  When I finished and said Done, a dialog box pops up saying it found the ISY and asks for a username and password.  I tried the ISY portal info but it didn't like that so I used my Admin console username and password and it accepted that.  That is why the User Name on the screen shot is my admin name and not my email address.  But it will not connect when I'm away from home. 

post-2348-0-02954600-1485202451_thumb.jpg

I just did it all over again and let the Local http:// blank.  When I press Done, it says it find an ISY at IP address blah blah on my LAN and asks for my username and password.  It wants the Admin Console username and password.  When I enter that, it syncs and looks fine.  But when I check the ISY settings again, the Local http:// is filled in again. 

Michel, when I did this process at home on my wifi, it behaved as I described.  Just for grins today, I decided to try the setup process when I was away from home.  That seems to have worked.  It didn't tell my it found an ISY and ask for a username and password like it did at home.  I was able to see my home devices.  Not sure why this is happening but I at least seem to have it working for now.  

I just got my ISY yesterday (it replaced a previous unit which was defective). All is fine now...except...

I added the ISY Portal and linked it to my Alexa skill for ISY.Worked justfine.Alexa could turn on lights etc as asked. Then, out of nowhere she stopped,saying in response either "that device is not found in your devices" or "ISY is not on the UDI portal"

I show in config as online.

Could my later addition of the mobillinc module be causing this difficulty? Any other ideas? Thanks for any assistance.

I just got my ISY yesterday (it replaced a previous unit which was defective). All is fine now...except...

I added the ISY Portal and linked it to my Alexa skill for ISY.Worked justfine.Alexa could turn on lights etc as asked. Then, out of nowhere she stopped,saying in response either "that device is not found in your devices" or "ISY is not on the UDI portal"

I show in config as online.

Could my later addition of the mobillinc module be causing this difficulty? Any other ideas? Thanks for any assistance.

If you only installed MobiLinc, then no. If you installed the MobiLinc portal, the yes, absolutely.

The ISY is capable of only one portal at a time.

Thank Stu... however a cautionary tale lies here. You are right I did not have the Mobilinc portal, just the offered add on of Mobilinc. And as it turned out, that was the problem here. Once disabled the problem disappeared. I think problems may yet lurk in that marriage.

I would like to utilize both the ISY portal AND Mobilinc.... But at startup I am jut going to sideline that until I get more proficient. I've been in HA since the 80's and feel like a dinosaur coming to all this..(I even did voice control when you practically had to pirate the AT&T voices!) Great stuff today, and ISY is pretty awesome!

I would be derelict not to mention to product/customer support... simply the best I have ever encountered. Bar none.

If you are lurking and considering investing an an ISY system, but fear the "dragon" of a high end system and jargon, etc... jump in, UD staff will be there for you!! (cannot say that for some others by experience)

It is an awesome time to be in HA.

A tip of my hat to Michel Kohanim for the assistance..  :-P

Thank again Stu.... figured it was something like that. However as this is for now "proof of concept" trial for a new house....I am gonna be a little shy. BUT, do want to explore that in the end stages of POC, by August, so hope I can rely on your expertise on this....some...<g>.

I am an old hand at X-10 (almost 25 years) and somewhat of an Insteon newbie., like 8 years worth, mainly integrated it for my x-10 system needs when it added to it.. Z-Wave is new to me and I am learning as I go. Forums are always great... have helped and learned on them.

Archived