Fonts

aLf

Since buying a new Windows computer, I have had issues with the Admin. Console / UI fonts being way to small to see.  I go into FILES/THEMES/FONT SIZE and change to the largest (#20) and this helps, but is still kind of small.  This larger font will stay sometimes for many days, some times is back to small next entry.  Is there a fix for this?  I'd think that the personalization of the UI would stay.

Thanks.

Since buying a new Windows computer, I have had issues with the Admin. Console / UI fonts being way to small to see.  I go into FILES/THEMES/FONT SIZE and change to the largest (#20) and this helps, but is still kind of small.  This larger font will stay sometimes for many days, some times is back to small next entry.  Is there a fix for this?  I'd think that the personalization of the UI would stay.

Thanks.

The ISY configuration is saved in the Windows temp folder. If the temp folder contents is deleted the ISY reverts back to the default value.

The ISY Version 5.XX firmware is supposed to address some of these issues, but it's still in alpha testing.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just got a new laptop with a 4K display.  I didn't realize the nightmare I was creating for myself with many applications that come up with micro font text.  I'm having to buy newer versions of the software (Lightroom, Photoshop for example) to get compatibility.  Beware anyone who is looking to get a 4k display.  I'm running Win 10.

I tried both compatibility modes suggested above by Michel and they have no effect.  I have the font size set at 20.  I'm running 4.5.4.

I also have an error when I open the Admin console, "Maximum Subscribers Reached".  When I clear the error message everything seems to work ok.  Probably not related to the font issue but I thought I'd mention it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

There's no "maybe" about that! You would then just adjust the font size in your browser.

The ISY configuration file with the font size is saved in the windows temporary file. When the temp file is cleared out you lose some of the ISY's configuration settings including the font size.

If you open the admin console via the java app then there's no option to adjust the "browser font size" same if you open it via a direct call from a browser window.

The ISY configuration file with the font size is saved in the windows temporary file. When the temp file is cleared out you lose some of the ISY's configuration settings including the font size.

If you open the admin console via the java app then there's no option to adjust the "browser font size" same if you open it via a direct call from a browser window.

Yes, exactly.

As I understand it, though, UDIs future plans for not relying on Java would be to create a fully-functional admin UI that can be accessed from a web browser. A "web app" per-se. Like UDAjax, but fully-functional admin.

So, in the future, if you don't like the font size, you will just adjust your browser font size.

As well, it would be easy for them to also support font size selection within the UI itself, and it could remember your choice in localstorage, cookie, etc.

So, "when they eliminate the reliance on Java" it becomes a non-issue. It won't be using Java, either on the desktop or with a browser plugin. Just HTML/CSS/Javascript/AJAX.

Maybe MS could supply screen drivers to make their Windows operating system hardware independant (of their own hardware yet?) like they introduced in 1980 something and other OSes introduced in 1960?

I think they actually have. Maybe at least on their own devices. But Java manages to be pretty resilient against anything sensible that's been done in an OS to make your life easier.

I have a Surface Pro 4 sitting here for a project, and I noticed something about global font size in the settings. I didn't play with it, but it caught my eye.

I just fired it up to run updates ALL DAY SUNDAY due to the ransom-ware scare. I also did my yearly opening of my Windows 10 VM (VMWare on MacOS) to also run updates NEARLY all day Sunday. (It went faster.)

Typically, I do this once a year, and then never use the VM. Unfortunately, this time I'm going to need it in about a month.

I might install the ISY admin console on the Surface Pro to see if it plays nice with font size.

I think they actually have. Maybe at least on their own devices. But Java manages to be pretty resilient against anything sensible that's been done in an OS to make your life easier.

I have a Surface Pro 4 sitting here for a project, and I noticed something about global font size in the settings. I didn't play with it, but it caught my eye.

I just fired it up to run updates ALL DAY SUNDAY due to the ransom-ware scare. I also did my yearly opening of my Windows 10 VM (VMWare on MacOS) to also run updates NEARLY all day Sunday. (It went faster.)

Typically, I do this once a year, and then never use the VM. Unfortunately, this time I'm going to need it in about a month.

I might install the ISY admin console on the Surface Pro to see if it plays nice with font size.

Maybe they have provided a method of support for their fine res screens but I see apps (ISY) having to build in custom sizes of fonts and that shouldn't have to be built into every app.

It would seem with this generation of unlimited hardware nanotechnology Font size, in pixels, needs to be abandoned. Imagine an app knowing font sizes for every resolution of device based on the old dot matrix printer heads? We are doing that now.

Seems like an absolute size of character should be in order and the OS converts it to whatever is needed to display it that big.

OTOH the next step would be angular size at your eyeballs and now the OS also needs to know how far your chair is away. :)

Archived