It's Alive!

Thanks Gary.

Benoit reviewed the specs and it seems that everything is local (no cloud) which his fantastic. This said, they have their own protocol on top of Bonjour (for discovery) so the level of effort would be just a little less than developing Z-Wave or Zigbee protocol stacks. In addition, it's still quite fuzzy as to where ISY fits in.

We are still investigating.

With kind regards,

Michel

My HomeKit use case is pretty simple - display a widget on the Today page and in the control center to show the status of my locks and alarm and to control them easily with tap.  For that, HomeBridge on an RPI3 is working fine for me, so ISY supporting HomeKit would just simplify that installation. Configuring HomeBridge to expose only a specific subset of my devices is a bit cumbersome and doesn't work at all for some of them, so native HomeKit support in the ISY would be a welcome addition.

Rob

• Like 1

I was happy to see Apple pull back on the HomeKit restrictions and even happier to see some traction happening here.  

I'm a long time ISY user with an extensive Insteon and Z-wave installation.  I currently use homebridge to add HomeKit integration to our setup.  When I added homebridge, it drastically changed how my family interacts with our home automation system.  

Before, my wife and kids would only control the system from the actual wall switches and keypads (or by asking me to change it from my phone).  I've tried to teach my wife how to use MobiLinc, but she doesn't want to invest the time to learn such a complicated app.  Control with Siri via homebridge changed all of that.  Now, my wife will turn scenes off and on from her watch or phone and my kids from their iPads all the time.

As anyone who has used homebridge knows, it is far less than the ideal solution.  Chalk me up as another +1 for native HomeKit integration.

• 2 weeks later...

The google cloud having access to your voice theoretically means they have access to whatever your voice can control and thus so does an intruder. So, just not allowing your alarm to be controlled by voice should handle it.

How do you handle keeping a vpn connection going between your phone and home? I have not tried this but it seems like it would be a PITA. I have only done router to router vpn.

I use Symantec wifi VPN. II works on wifi or cellular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk