New router & no portal

auger66

All righty then . . .

I had a plain ole AT&T Westell DSL modem/router in bridge mode to a Linksys and later a TP-Link router. No problem. Everything worked great.

Now I have AT&T ridiculously fast fiber optic in the same location. No bridge mode, but I put it in IP passthrough to the TP-Link router. Internet works great.

If I plug the ISY into the TP-Link router, my network commands (iRule sending REST commands) work fine, but I have no internet connectivity--no portal, no Echo, no Mobilinc, no emails sent.

If I plug the ISY into the AT&T router (Arris BGW210-700,) reverse the above--connectivity, but local network doesn't work.

Echo to Nest works either way--hmmm.

I thought the portal did away with all the port forward, etc. problems. I would really rather use my own router and just use the Arris as a modem. 

Did a couple of searches and couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you have a firewall between the LAN side of your Arris and the WAN side which most likely unavoidable, as in most routers.

Try connecting the Arris to the ATT router via a LAN side port.

That way you bypass the native firewall iand address conversion n the Arris.

Bridge mode never works in my Cisco, Netgear, or Dlink routers here either.

The Portal can't work ifvthe devices csnt see each other. Not having Intetnet access is a good indicator.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

It sounds like your ISY might be on the wrong subnet?

Are you able to access your ISY admin console when connected to each of those two routers using a computer simultaneously connected to the same one?

I assume you can at least log into ISY when on the ATT device from a computer also on the ATT.  From there, check to see that the ISY is in DHCP mode.

This is not a port forwarding issues.  That is only an issue for traffic that is initiated from outside your local network.

It sounds like you have a firewall between the LAN side of your Arris and the WAN side which most likely unavoidable, as in most routers.

Try connecting the Arris to the ATT router via a LAN side port.

That way you bypass the native firewall iand address conversion n the Arris.

Bridge mode never works in my Cisco, Netgear, or Dlink routers here either.

The Portal can't work ifvthe devices csnt see each other. Not having Intetnet access is a good indicator.

The Arris is a modem/router combo. Bridge mode worked great with my ancient DSL modem/router. I wish the Arris had a true bridge mode rather than IP passthrough, but AT&T likes to snoop.

The firewall is a good theory. I'll try disabling it all together on the Arris when I get back in town in a week. However, of all the devices that pass through the firewall, the ISY portal is the only thing not working . . .

It sounds like your ISY might be on the wrong subnet?

Are you able to access your ISY admin console when connected to each of those two routers using a computer simultaneously connected to the same one?

I assume you can at least log into ISY when on the ATT device from a computer also on the ATT.  From there, check to see that the ISY is in DHCP mode.

This is not a port forwarding issues.  That is only an issue for traffic that is initiated from outside your local network.

The ISY, TP-Link router, and Arris combo are all on 192.168.1.xxx. Networking issues are not my strong suit.

I had to leave home for a week. I'll chase down these questions when I get back.

When I figure this out, I'll post my results here. Thank you both for your suggestions.

The Arris is a modem/router combo. Bridge mode worked great with my ancient DSL modem/router. I wish the Arris had a true bridge mode rather than IP passthrough, but AT&T likes to snoop.

The firewall is a good theory. I'll try disabling it all together on the Arris when I get back in town in a week. However, of all the devices that pass through the firewall, the ISY portal is the only thing not working . . .

When a router/modem combo is in bridge mode it won't function on your LAN at all. A router's job is to convert data with external Internet axdresses to LAN addresses. Bridge mode turns the routing function off and you just gave a hub (splitter) connected to a modem attempting to spew Internet addresses nto the LAN side.

All LAN sides of your routers must be connected together and only one can be connected to the ISP side.

Routers are made to reject passing 192.168.xx.yy addresses through themselves. Those are reserved addresses for local networks only.

I'm guessing the issue is how the ATT gateway IP passthrough works.  It isn't really a bridge and it will "pick off" traffic it thinks belongs on its subnet or that it thinks is unsolicited.

Assuming your gateway configures similar to my ATT Uverse gateway

1) Use the DMZ plus mode on the Arris.  This will instruct your Arris to pass almost everything through to whatever you designate.  In your case, you designate your TP link router.

2) Set your TP link router to use 192.168.2.x subnet

• 6 months later...

Let me come back here to not really answer my own question from last year.

I gave up on this issue, but before I left I decided to upgrade the router for the next person due to much faster internet connection availability. I started getting notifications after I installed the new router--Mobilinc, portal, Echo, etc. works great. So basically I changed nothing other than the router from a TP-Link to a Netgear.

I put both on separate subnets after reading the replies . . .

I have no explanation--just changed the router and used the same settings, and everything was fine after that.

• 3 months later...

Archived