Alexa Missing Devices that exist in ISY Portal

db2ace2

Hello All, 

Is anyone else having missing devices in Alexa that exist in the ISY Portal?

I have 170 Devices in the Portal that contain about 350 Spoken Words, however some of the devices are not showing up in the Alexa Device List.

I have Disabled and Re-Enabled the ISY V2 Skill, and Account Link and also Forgot and Re-Discovered all of the Devices. Alexa shows 303 devices when it should have about 350.  

It is also interesting that originally It only saw 302 devices but I went to ADMIN Console and Deleted and Re Created a Program, and also deleted that same Program Entry in the Portal. The Portal now shows the new Program ID for that program and shows no errors, however Alexa still does not discover that and other Programs Spoken Names that are defined to the Portal when you Discover Devices. When I did this however the Alexa Device Count jumped to 303 from 302 and it did add one of the originally missing device names even though that program was not one of the missing devices.

Also I see something about a Smarthome V3 for ISY?   Can you tell me more about that as I do not see that in my Alexa Skills?

Thanks

Charles Seiler

I, too appear to have this issue, but my system has considerably fewer Insteon devices. I have a keypadlinc who's built-in switch used to work, but since reinstalling I am unable to get it to work with Echo despite it being completely recognized and functional through ISY. This is also the case with an Insteon thermostat. I'd given up trying to resolve, but am tired of the workarounds I must resort to. Perhaps others will have some suggestions.

I, too appear to have this issue, but my system has considerably fewer Insteon devices. I have a keypadlinc who's built-in switch used to work, but since reinstalling I am unable to get it to work with Echo despite it being completely recognized and functional through ISY. This is also the case with an Insteon thermostat. I'd given up trying to resolve, but am tired of the workarounds I must resort to. Perhaps others will have some suggestions.

db2ace2,

I looked at the logs and was able to trace the device discoveries. Not too many users have > 300 devices.

From ISY Portal's perspective, 497 devices are being returned to Amazon. It dropped to 496 yesterday in the evening, probably due to having removed the program from the list of spokens.

Now, this may be a limitation at Amazon, or perhaps there is a bug somewhere in the format of the data sent. 

Would you be able to find a case where it is not reported. Is it a program? If so, do you have other programs working?

Thanks,

Benoit

db2ace2,

I just though of another possible cause.

Perhaps one of the spoken has a character Alexa does not like? Perhaps processing stops at the 302nd entry?

I know it could be tedious, but could you check your spokens, see if you have any special characters in them? There should only be letters and spaces.

I may need to enhance spoken validation.

Benoit.

db2ace2,

I just though of another possible cause.

Perhaps one of the spoken has a character Alexa does not like? Perhaps processing stops at the 302nd entry?

I know it could be tedious, but could you check your spokens, see if you have any special characters in them? There should only be letters and spaces.

I may need to enhance spoken validation.

Benoit.

Thanks for looking into this Benoit. I played around with it some today and I would have to agree with your first post that this appears to me to be an AMAZON bug or limitation.  I revamped my spokens today and got rid of a lot of them. I am still hitting the 302 limit however the missing devices I referred to in my original post now show up, so that does appear to be the problem. 

When you try to control all lights in a large two story home inside and out, you end up with a lot of devices and a lot of Spokens. Hopefully this can be overcome at some point in the future so that I will be able to control everything with spoken commands using Alexa/Dots.

Part of the issue here is not just the ISY spokens. I also have a HARMONY HUB and use the HARMONY Alexa Skill which also adds Smart Home Devices to the Device list used by Amazon. Those devices are also interspersed with the ISY devices in the Alexa Smart Home Device list, and therefore also take up Device counts in the limitation.

I plan to contact Amazon to see of there is any possibility of getting that 302 limit raised to see if that helps.

Thanks Again!

Charles Seiler

P.S. I did not find any unusual spoken names but I did get rid of some.

Archived