RaspberryPi 3B+ is released

Scottmichaelj

3 hours ago, larryllix said:

Thanks! Very nice to see more stats.

Trouble is, we are going back into mechanical fans for cooling again but at least we have a range of products to meet various needs now. We are also really straining those micro connections with microUSB power draws over the USB spec of 0.5 amperes max. For the few times I have to power cycle  my RPi3,  I already worry about the arc created making and breaking power flow on that micro  connector. :(  I think I better get a switch in the cord next purchase.

I had a usb drive on mine for a while when experimenting with syslog. Even on a B+, I had put a powered USB hub in the middle of the equation, even for a simple 5400 rpm portable backup drive that worked perfectly on PCs. 

I don't think I've ever had to reboot either of my pis. I had a time where I kinda forgot about it and hadn't logged in for so long I had to retry the password.  I did have setup a new SD card with stretch recently as one of them, "Dev" had self inflicted dependency problems and wouldn't upgrade. It was relatively simple and I'm going to go ahead and update my second pi the same way.

Paul

48 minutes ago, paulbates said:

I had a usb drive on mine for a while when experimenting with syslog. Even on a B+, I had put a powered USB hub in the middle of the equation, even for a simple 5400 rpm portable backup drive that worked perfectly on PCs. 

I don't think I've ever had to reboot either of my pis. I had a time where I kinda forgot about it and hadn't logged in for so long I had to retry the password.  I did have setup a new SD card with stretch recently as one of them, "Dev" had self inflicted dependency problems and wouldn't upgrade. It was relatively simple and I'm going to go ahead and update my second pi the same way.

Paul

It mostly hangs when I allow the raspbian stretch browser to sleep only every month or so. Cursor works but I cannot get any response. I suspect the Chromium browser has a few quirks they haven't gotten out yet. Unfortunately there is no nice way out of it other than a power cycle. (She done, di,d hung up, real good! :)) This happened on the previous raspbian version and the previous RPi 2? also.

Once these linux distros  get up to the full GUI  O/S  level of MS Windows, they  will likely crash just as frequently, unfortunately. MS Dos never crashed either :( My ISY partner running NodeLink never crashes running only command line stuff.

The extra speed of the RPi 3B+ has me drooling for web browsing use, to replace this one (typing on now)

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

It mostly hangs when I allow the raspbian stretch browser to sleep only every month or so. Cursor works but I cannot get any response. I suspect the Chromium browser has a few quirks they haven't gotten out yet. Unfortunately there is no nice way out of it other than a power cycle. (She done, di,d hung up, real good! :)) This happened on the previous raspbian version and the previous RPi 2? also.

Once these linux distros  get up to the full GUI  O/S  level of MS Windows, they  will likely crash just as frequently, unfortunately. MS Dos never crashed either :( My ISY partner running NodeLink never crashes running only command line stuff.

The extra speed of the RPi 3B+ has me drooling for web browsing use, to replace this one (typing on now)

The good news about the GUIs in Linux is that they're generally just processes that can be killed and restarted without bringing down the machine.  When I administered Linux/Unix servers, I'd just change runlevels on the fly to start/stop the GUI -- there was generally no need for a full-time GUI environment (and, we used to reboot them once a year, whether they needed it or not -- I loved working with those machines).  :-)

You can generally switch runlevels in a Debian based distro by using the 'telinit' command, i.e. 'sudo telinit 3" will enter runlevel 3 that normally is defined as being multiuser, but having no graphical display manger (GDM), or 'sudo telinit 5' which will enter runlevel 5 which is normally defined as multiuser running the system GDM.

I normally have the machines boot to runlevel 3, then switch to runlevel 5 should the need arise, then I switch back to runlevel 3 when I'm done (no need to occupy the resources when not needed).  I must admit that I haven't had my RPi in runlevel 5 since I set it up, so I'm assuming that this trick still works.

The obligatory RTMF link... :shock:

4 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

The good news about the GUIs in Linux is that they're generally just processes that can be killed and restarted without bringing down the machine.  When I administered Linux/Unix servers, I'd just change runlevels on the fly to start/stop the GUI -- there was generally no need for a full-time GUI environment (and, we used to reboot them once a year, whether they needed it or not -- I loved working with those machines).  :-)

You can generally switch runlevels in a Debian based distro by using the 'telinit' command, i.e. 'sudo telinit 3" will enter runlevel 3 that normally is defined as being multiuser, but having no graphical display manger (GDM), or 'sudo telinit 5' which will enter runlevel 5 which is normally defined as multiuser running the system GDM.

I normally have the machines boot to runlevel 3, then switch to runlevel 5 should the need arise, then I switch back to runlevel 3 when I'm done (no need to occupy the resources when not needed).  I must admit that I haven't had my RPi in runlevel 5 since I set it up, so I'm assuming that this trick still works.

The obligatory RTMF link... :shock:

I am not sure how this is related to a hung machine. There is no running sudo anything. It's hung.

22 hours ago, larryllix said:

I am not sure how this is related to a hung machine. There is no running sudo anything. It's hung.

Fair criticism, but the GDM shouldn't clobber the kernel or the network stack.  Something else is afoot.

For my 2¢, see if the latest/greatest doesn't resolve that: "sudo apt-get update; apt-get upgrade".  I just got a new mono and kernel update today...  Also, it might be that the machine is flat out of RAM.  Periodically rebooting fixes that, but if you don't want to kill background processes, then switching to runlevel 3 might also help.

I've included below the output from 'top' and 'ps x' for comparison of the runlevels.

RAM usage at runlevel 3 (no GDM):

top - 17:35:07 up 1 day,  4:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.09
Tasks: 113 total,   1 running,  66 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  8.6 us,  0.8 sy,  0.0 ni, 90.1 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.3 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :   945416 total,    83680 free,   274936 used,   586800 buff/cache
KiB Swap:   102396 total,   101372 free,     1024 used.   564736 avail Mem 

RAM usage at runlevel 5 (GDM running):

top - 17:35:55 up 1 day,  4:20,  2 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.23, 0.12
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running,  94 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  1.8 us,  0.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.8 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :   945416 total,    34136 free,   329392 used,   581888 buff/cache
KiB Swap:   102396 total,   101116 free,     1280 used.   508348 avail Mem 

Process list at runlevel 3:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ps x
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 1086 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
 1688 ?        S      0:00 sshd: pi@pts/0
 1691 pts/0    Ss     0:00 -bash
 7054 ?        Ssl   12:46 /usr/bin/mono /home/pi/Nodelink/NodeLink.exe
 7147 ?        Ssl    3:10 /usr/bin/mono /home/pi/WeatherFlow/WFNodeServer.exe -f /home/pi/WeatherFlow/nodesetup.zip
 7666 ?        Ssl   14:37 /home/pi/polyglot/polyglot-v2-linux-armv7
 7678 ?        Sl     1:17 python3 ./nest2.py
 7708 ?        Sl     1:22 python3 ./wirelesstags-poly.py
 7824 ?        Sl    11:13 python3 ./sonos-poly.py
 7856 ?        Sl    11:52 python3 ./lifx-poly.py
 8572 ?        Sl     0:43 python3 ./camera-poly.py
12179 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
12346 pts/0    R+     0:00 ps x

Process list at runlevel 5:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ps x
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 1086 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
 1688 ?        S      0:00 sshd: pi@pts/0
 1691 pts/0    Ss     0:00 -bash
 7054 ?        Ssl   12:46 /usr/bin/mono /home/pi/Nodelink/NodeLink.exe
 7147 ?        Ssl    3:10 /usr/bin/mono /home/pi/WeatherFlow/WFNodeServer.exe -f /home/pi/WeatherFlow/nodesetup.zip
 7666 ?        Ssl   14:37 /home/pi/polyglot/polyglot-v2-linux-armv7
 7678 ?        Sl     1:18 python3 ./nest2.py
 7708 ?        Sl     1:22 python3 ./wirelesstags-poly.py
 7824 ?        Sl    11:14 python3 ./sonos-poly.py
 7856 ?        Sl    11:52 python3 ./lifx-poly.py
 8572 ?        Sl     0:43 python3 ./camera-poly.py
12179 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
12408 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE-pi -e LXDE
12432 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax
12433 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
12464 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent x-session-manager
12471 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd
12476 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-fuse /run/user/1000/gvfs -f -o big_writes
12487 ?        S      0:00 openbox --config-file /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
12489 ?        Sl     0:00 lxpolkit
12491 ?        Sl     0:00 lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
12492 ?        Sl     0:00 pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
12503 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s
12515 ?        Rl     0:00 light-locker
12519 ?        S      0:00 sh -c zenity --info --no-wrap --text="Your Raspbian system has been upgraded to the latest version.  To ensure compatibility with the new version, some
12522 ?        S      0:00 sh /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autokey.sh
12523 ?        Rl     0:00 zenity --info --no-wrap --text=Your Raspbian system has been upgraded to the latest version.  To ensure compatibility with the new version, some config
12525 ?        R      0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/lxkeymap --autostart
12537 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/dconf/dconf-service
12543 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/menu-cache/menu-cached /run/user/1000/menu-cached-:0
12552 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
12553 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
12570 pts/0    R+     0:00 ps x

Archived