CLOSED --- Z-Wave 500 Series Beta

4 hours ago, gviliunas said:

Error when backing up new Z-Wave Dongle.   ISY version 5.0.13C

I installed the new dongle several weeks ago and everything appears to be working. I did test the ability to backup the dongle upon installation and it worked correctly. I also tried this a few days ago and it also worked without error.

Today I excluded and re-added two Zooz smart plugs as secure devices, successfully healed the network and then played with my "The Buttons" parameters to try and make these devices more reliable. Everything appears to still be working. As a last step, I wanted to backup the new dongle. When I did, the operation failed and I received 2 pop-up errors:

Top Pop-up:

Could not open file:   [/DEF/F6/I1/NLS/EN_US.txt]

Below Pop-up:

The Z-Wave Dongle has not been backed-up. An error occurred while reading data from the Z-Wave dongle.

I first tried rebooting and then tried power-cycling the ISY but received the same pop-up errors above when attempting to backup ISY.

ISY Error Log.v5.0.13C__Sat 2018.08.18 07.52.14.txt

After reading your post I tried a (new) dongle backup as well with same result. See logs.

ISY-Events-Log.v5.0.13C__Sat 2018.08.18 04.00.05 PM.txt

ISY Error Log.v5.0.13C__Sat 2018.08.18 04.03.04 PM.txt

Hi @rccoleman,

Thanks for the details. Quite strange indeed. Please note that if you don't save the contents of the Event Viewer, they are NOT logged.

Hello @gviliunas,

I am so very sorry to hear. Are all your devices working as expected? If so, can you please try Z-Wave | Tools | Synchronize Nodes | All? When done, can you please retry the backup?

With kind regards,
Michel

39 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi @rccoleman,

Thanks for the details. Quite strange indeed. Please note that if you don't save the contents of the Event Viewer, they are NOT logged.

Hello @gviliunas,

I am so very sorry to hear. Are all your devices working as expected? If so, can you please try Z-Wave | Tools | Synchronize Nodes | All? When done, can you please retry the backup?

With kind regards,
Michel

I thought that I had saved an event log somewhere, but it looks like it was just the log and error log.  Like I said, it would really helpful if I could just point the ISY at my local syslog server (my Synology NAS) and log events that way.  For something that's so useful while debugging, they're quite ephemeral and easy to lose.

3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Michel

1. All my devices are working

2. I performed a Sync all nodes and then again tried to backup but with same negative result . Pls see attachments

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.39.34 PM.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.39.53 PM.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.42.55 PM.pdf

Any idea when this new Dongle will be available to purchase to add to my ISY994?  As my X-10 in wall switches get less reliable, I am now leaning towards going Z-wave, rather than add more Insteon ... unless someone wants to convince me otherwise?

Any idea when this new Dongle will be available to purchase to add to my ISY994?  As my X-10 in wall switches get less reliable, I am now leaning towards going Z-wave, rather than add more Insteon ... unless someone wants to convince me otherwise?

You mean outside of the beta? It may still be available as part of the beta.

Hi Michel,

Re. Inability to backup Z-Wave configuration on new dongle.

Thanks for your suggestion.

1. Yes, I believe that all of my Z-wave devices are working.

2. I tried to Sync All nodes as you suggested. This seemed to complete successfully but the backup still failed. Here is additional data...

3. I disabled all programs (to minimize the log entries) and then opened the event viewer in Level 3 and tried again. Attached is the result.

ISY-Events-Log.v5.0.13C__Tue 2018.08.21 20.19.06.txt

Thanks for the suggestion. This worked 1 time only.

I performed the Sync All. There was a red-slash note at the top of my tree "ZW-000" 

I deleted that node and was able to backup successfully just 1 time. BUT then I tried the backup operation again and again several more times....and these all failed.

I even tried a re-sync again  but no bad nodes were found this time ...... But still the backup Failed ( I disabled all of my programs for this last test).  Here are screen shots and logs from the last attempt.

2nd Try to backup after Sync All.PNG

ISY-Events-Log.v5.0.13C__Wed 2018.08.22 19.13.48.txt

re. Cannot backup Z-Wave configuration.

I installed 5.0.13D then did a Sync All. No failed nodes were found but I did see many instances in the log indicating a device was not sync'ed.

After this, I tried a backup 2x. Notice that the backup operation fails at a different point.  Logs attached.

Logs attached

ISY-Events-Log.v5.0.13D__Fri 2018.08.24 04.26.24.txt

Recommendations for the Wakeup field on a Z-Wave node.

I Noticed that for every Z-Wave device, there is a node with a wakeup button in the middle of the page and a field to enter a time value. 

-  What does this do?

-  Are there recommendations for setting this?

-  How does the "wakeup" button relate to the "Write Changes" button at the bottom of the page?

I was watching the Admin Console and the event viewer while investigating the z-wave backup issue and noticed that my EcoLink Z-Wave front door sensor was, once again showing "!" cannot communicate status. (Grrrr there is a AEON doorbell within 7 feet) On a lark, I pressed the wakeup button and saw, in the log that this had sent a wakeup interval of 0 seconds to the EcoLink. The device awoke and is now back in my Admin Console tree. I tried other values for the wakeup time interval (300 seconds, 5 minutes, 10 minutes) . Every value I tried, except 0 seconds resulted in the device status reverting to "!"

Is this expected behavior? Should the wakeup interval be "0 seconds" for this device?

I am using ISY 994i firmware version 5.0.13D and everything seems to be working. I am new to Z-Wave and just recently installed the just released 500 dongle from Orchestrated Home. I also have two light on/off switches/extender. I plan to add an Aeotec Z-Wave ver 6 range extender. I am having a new door installed in about a month and want to be sure that I have a strong Z-Wave signal in that part of the house for my Schlage Z-Wave deadbolt lock. My two Inovelli light switches/extender seem to be working fine.

My question is when should I perform the "heal Z-Wave network" function in my admin console? Should I do this before I add the Aeotec extender and z-wave deadbolt and then do it again after everything is installed.

Thanks as usual for all the great support and advice I receive on here.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is about the Z-Wave 500 Series Beta and it is closed. I think the questions I am going to ask, may have been asked in another thread, but I cannot find it.

Orchestrated Home has a 500 Series Z-Wave radio, Gen 3 listed, which I assume is this Z-Wave board.

Is it a later version (gen) than the Beta version?

Is it OK to purchase and use now?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I could never get my new 500 series z-wave board to work correctly, so I went back to the original one about 3 months ago.  Today, I decided to try again.  I went through the steps in Post #1, but when trying to restore, I always get the message "The Z-Wave dongle has not been restored.  The data could not be written to the Z-Wave dongle".  Repeated the steps again and got same results.  

Did z-wave full backup and then restore using 5.0.14.  

Any ideas?  

EDIT: well, after 3 attempts to restore and use the Series 500 dongle, still no joy.  I am going to remain on the older series 300 dongle.  Not sure if my 500 series dongle is bad or if I am doing something wrong, but just not able to figure it out at this point.  Maybe try again with 5.0.15 when that comes out.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the various documents on "Plus" and "500", how much of this relevant to the chipset in the ISY?   Given that I still have a bunch of old non-plus Zwave devices, I'm not sure that I will benefit significantly from replacing the dongle with a plus/500 version?

Mostly I'm reluctant to upgrade because I have a good external antenna setup (because the ISY is in a big metal datacenter cabinet), and upgrading means switching to the onboard antenna.

Archived