Jump to content

Z-Wave device FW update OTA via ISY?


telljcl

Recommended Posts

I see some newer ZW+ devices (Aeotec, for instance) can receive FW updates "OTA".

How does this work exactly, and can the update be delivered by / through the ISY, or must it be done some other way?

I see Aeotec sells a USB controller that they say can update FW of their devices that are ZW+, but I wonder if I would need it ?

If so, would I have to un-link my ISY from my devices to use the stick as a controller in order to update FW?

Any clarification would be welcome - thank you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

Would like to know this  too. In my case there's a fw update for a ZooZ device I have. I'm sure I'll have more in the future. I have a 1-yr old 500-series ISY 994ZW Pro in case that matters.

I am disappointed in the Zooz devices. Sometimes it is better to buy more expensive. I have learned  through experience and now mostly buy Jasco/GE and Homeseer devices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ISY currently does not have the ability to do OTA updates of z-wave devices.

To update your z-wave devices you will need either another controller that does support OTA that also can be used as a secondary controller.  OR you will need a USB Z-Wave stick and software that can perform the OTA update.  HomeSeer sells their Z-Wave stick and ZTool software as a bundle OR you can buy a Z-Wave stick (any will work) and use the Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller which is free to download.  You will then need to contact the device vendor to get the firmware update file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 5:36 PM, simplextech said:

To update your z-wave devices you will need either another controller that does support OTA that also can be used as a secondary controller.  OR you will need a USB Z-Wave stick and software that can perform the OTA update.  HomeSeer sells their Z-Wave stick and ZTool software as a bundle OR you can buy a Z-Wave stick (any will work) and use the Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller which is free to download.  You will then need to contact the device vendor to get the firmware update file.

I downloaded the silicon labs "PC Controller" and got the firmware update from vendor. Do I need to exclude the device from ISY before I do the upgrade or is it possible to just add it to 2nd controller (then delete it after) without messing with the ISY association?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

I downloaded the silicon labs "PC Controller" and got the firmware update from vendor. Do I need to exclude the device from ISY before I do the upgrade or is it possible to just add it to 2nd controller (then delete it after) without messing with the ISY association?

YMMV however you can add the PC Controller as a secondary to the ISY.  Then from PC Controller you will be able to see/control the devices and you can apply the firmware.

Now the thing about firmware and z-wave devices..... unless it fixes a problem you're having it's generally better/safer to pass on the firmware update.  If it's not broken don't fix it :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, simplextech said:

YMMV however you can add the PC Controller as a secondary to the ISY.  Then from PC Controller you will be able to see/control the devices and you can apply the firmware.

Now the thing about firmware and z-wave devices..... unless it fixes a problem you're having it's generally better/safer to pass on the firmware update.  If it's not broken don't fix it :)

 

I agree completely. I've seen where they've helped some and others it broke compatibility. I haven't seen any where they've "added" useful features

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, simplextech said:

YMMV however you can add the PC Controller as a secondary to the ISY.  Then from PC Controller you will be able to see/control the devices and you can apply the firmware.

Now the thing about firmware and z-wave devices..... unless it fixes a problem you're having it's generally better/safer to pass on the firmware update.  If it's not broken don't fix it :)

 

@simplextechI've installed the PC Controller software but can't find instructions on how to set up secondary controller to the ISY. I found UDI wiki guide on changing primary controller in ISY (which apparently no longer applies in 5.2) but nothing about setting up any secondary controllers. Can you please elaborate on what I'd need to do?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

@simplextechI've installed the PC Controller software but can't find instructions on how to set up secondary controller to the ISY. I found UDI wiki guide on changing primary controller in ISY (which apparently no longer applies in 5.2) but nothing about setting up any secondary controllers. Can you please elaborate on what I'd need to do?

 

This is one of those tricky territory items.  I can provide the basic information, however if things don't go right (sometimes they don't) or something is missed or I misremember and don't provide exact you could break your z-wave mesh and have to wipe the controller and start from scratch... so... you've been warned.

With the ISY Admin Console open and the PC Controller software open.

On the ISY you select the Include option to add a new device.  From PC Controller you do the same.  I have not done this in a while.  You can play around with it or if you wait then I can go through the steps again later (probably when I'm adding the ZEN20) and I can document it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, simplextech said:

This is one of those tricky territory items.  I can provide the basic information, however if things don't go right (sometimes they don't) or something is missed or I misremember and don't provide exact you could break your z-wave mesh and have to wipe the controller and start from scratch... so... you've been warned.

Yikes. Yes, I'd really like to be able to do it but would want to think it's very likely to work. Starting over would definitely be an ordeal.

Alternatively, can I do this independent of ISY using the Aoetec Zwave stick I have, which takes me back to the question that started this discussion - would I need to exclude from ISY in order to link it to zwave stick for the OTA process? The ZEN20 I want to upgrade is only in about 4 programs so not that big a deal if I have to take it out and put it back in after. That said, I have or will have other zwave devices I may like to OTA upgrade that have more tentacles so being able to do this process without impacting ISY's link to the device is what I'd really like.

Thanks for your help with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

Alternatively, can I do this independent of ISY using the Aoetec Zwave stick I have

Yes.

You can use the PC Controller to update the FW on devices with the Aeotec stick.  It works fine.  You have to exclude the devices from the ISY, include in the PC Controller, update and then again exclude and include back into the ISY... real PITA.

Ok... ZEN20 added to the system... now we wait.

For adding the PC Controller into the ISY for doing secondary updates.

  1. Setup PC Controller with your USB stick and make sure that's all working
  2. Open ISY Admin Console
  3. Open PC Controller if not already open
    1. Open Network Management page
  4. ISY
    1. Z-Wave -> Add a Z-Wave Device
  5. PC Controller
    1. After Clicked Add device in the ISY click the "Classic Learn Mode" button in PC Controller
    2. The PC Controller will be added to the ISY as a device/node
    3. PC Controller will sync/copy devices from ISY

You can now use the PC Controller to update FW on z-wave devices that have been sync'd.  You can re-sync by doing the same steps if you add more devices to the ISY.

To remove the PC Controller from the ISY you will do the same steps EXCEPT for "Add a Z-Wave Device" in the ISY you want to "Remove" but then it's the same "Classic Learn Mode" button in PC Controller.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...