Is the Polisy standalone and is it an ISY replacement?

Blackbird

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

INSTEON, there's a DB9 jack on the back which will be used to communicate with INSTEON. Given our horrid history with Z-Wave boards (manufacturing, certification, FCC, obsolescence, etc.), we are considering vetting one (max of two) USB dongles that work reliably (700 series). We are researching.

@Michel Kohanim - Will there be an option to have Zigbee along with INSTEON, Z-Wave and Bluetooth in the Polisy Pro?

2 hours ago, Techman said:

What type of interface will be available to access Polisy?

Will there be an option to xfer existing ISY data to the Polisy or will the Polisy database need to be reconstructed from scratch?

Good question. I hope something more intuitive and user friendly. I only access the UI about 4 times a year. I feel like I have to learn everything all over again each time and still often have to come to the forum for advice on how to setup what seems like should be a simple program. I would have preordered Polisy if I knew it had a much better UI, but I was expecting something very similar to what we currently have. 

On 6/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

All,

Polisy will replace ISY994 but ISY994 will remain an active and supported product for a variety of business reasons. 

I cannot give you accurate ETAs. Suffice it to say that we have been working on the port for over a year now and it's continuing in a good pace.

INSTEON, there's a DB9 jack on the back which will be used to communicate with INSTEON. Given our horrid history with Z-Wave boards (manufacturing, certification, FCC, obsolescence, etc.), we are considering vetting one (max of two) USB dongles that work reliably (700 series). We are researching.

For those on the fence, my algorithm for the decision would have been:
Do I use or plan to use Polyglot? If no, wait … again, ISY994 is NOT going away. If yes, then: do I mind losing the discount? If no, wait. If yes, buy now.

For developers and geeks, with the 50% discount on top of the sale price, I really do not see any reason why you want to wait regardless. Polisy is what you have been waiting for. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks @Michel Kohanim.  Does the DB9 jack mean I'll still need some form of a 2413S to communicate with Insteon devices?  The 2413 has been the weak link in my configuration.  Gives my ISY994 Pro a bad name every time it fails.  Of course it picks the worst time to fail.  With two residents and two ISYs I've had to start making sure I have at least one spare 2413 at each location.  Pretty clean power at both places so not sure why these things fail every couple of years.

Insteon 2413S Serial Modem Interface, Dual-Band (White)
15 minutes ago, Strebe said:

Thanks @Michel Kohanim.  Does the DB9 jack mean I'll still need some form of a 2413S to communicate with Insteon devices?  The 2413 has been the weak link in my configuration.  Gives my ISY994 Pro a bad name every time it fails.  Of course it picks the worst time to fail.  With two residents and two ISYs I've had to start making sure I have at least one spare 2413 at each location.  Pretty clean power at both places so not sure why these things fail every couple of years.

Insteon 2413S Serial Modem Interface, Dual-Band (White)

Yes you will as that's the only way for insteon to work

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Techman,

The interface is the same interface as the one for Polyglot (https://polyglot.universal-devices.com). We do plan to have a migration tool once we are ready to move ISY to Polisy. This said, it's not trivial since ISY994 is Big Endian and Polisy is Little Endian.

With kind regards,
Michel

What does big and little endian mean?

Archived