Anyone else hating their Ecobees now?

carealtor

This Eco+ thing they have forced on us is awful.  It can't be turned off completely.   I have it set at the minimum setting and the bedroom is still too warm every night now.  If I wanted it to be 79 degrees, I would have programmed it be 79 degrees.  I want it 78 degrees.  I don't appreciate the Ecobee overlords insisting that they know better than I do what temperature it should be.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carealtor said:

This Eco+ thing they have forced on us is awful.  It can't be turned off completely.   I have it set at the minimum setting and the bedroom is still too warm every night now.  If I wanted it to be 79 degrees, I would have programmed it be 79 degrees.  I want it 78 degrees.  I don't appreciate the Ecobee overlords insisting that they know better than I do what temperature it should be.

Wait... Are you saying that EcoBee has put in restrictions/governor that overrides your thermostat?  This is preventing you from setting the temp to whatever YOU want?  Is this confirmed as a system wide change affecting all EcoBee thermostat's or is this maybe an isolated bug or something?  If this is system wide of the "Overlords" controller your thermostat temperatures I'm going to die laughing!

Who are these Overlords?

If "they" were controlling your thermostat, why don't you lock it with a setting password, or restrict the range of setpoints?. Those are things that are not remote controllable and only settable right at the thermostat face.

Nobody can force my Ecobee stats to do anything I don't want. ...or is this some, "...or I won't get my monthly incentive discount",  thing?

https://www.ecobee.com/2016/10/how-to-set-the-maxmin-temperature/

142664008_ecobeelocking.thumb.jpg.c3c7a552b995aeda52c1666e6e2cb492.jpg

Edited by larryllix

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Lots to read here https://www.ecobee.com/eco-plus/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL with Tapatalk

Thanks Jimbo. This sounds like a great feature. I don't ever use automatic Home/Away though. My house has a 12-18 hour  lag in response. The humidty combination sounds like a good deal. I haven't seen this option on my stats yet. Maybe warning them with legal action if they ever changed my settings again, during my last failed tech support interaction, made some difference :)

The OP made it sound like it was being forced on ecobee owners???  According to ecobee info it is totally a voluntary setting and.....

I’m uncomfortable during an Energy Savings Event. How can I improve my comfort?

You have total control to end an event anytime. To do so, adjust the temperature setpoint of the thermostat through the mobile app, a smart home integration (ex. Alexa, Homekit, Google Assistant, etc.) or at the thermostat itself.

Your savings preferences can be adjusted anytime. If you find Energy Savings Events are regularly affecting your comfort, your savings preferences can be changed. By setting the savings preference slider Minimum Savings, Energy Savings Event adjustments will be slight.

Edited by larryllix

6 hours ago, larryllix said:

The OP made it sound like it was being forced on ecobee owners???  According to ecobee info it is totally a voluntary setting and.....

It is not voluntary.  Even your quote from the website only says you can select Minimum Savings...  which is not the same as turning it off.  There is no "off" setting.  The minimum can still override your settings by 1 degree if it wants too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/cmludy/eco_ecostupid/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/ckw8cj/how_to_disable_eco/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/ci8gpt/ecobee_ecoplus_is_stupid/

45 minutes ago, carealtor said:

It is not voluntary.  Even your quote from the website only says you can select Minimum Savings...  which is not the same as turning it off.  There is no "off" setting.  The minimum can still override your settings by 1 degree if it wants too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/cmludy/eco_ecostupid/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/ckw8cj/how_to_disable_eco/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ecobee/comments/ci8gpt/ecobee_ecoplus_is_stupid/

Interesting! Some reports of the app allowing it to be disabled were reported.

I find it hard to believe they could pull this crap in Ontario, Canada. Many Nest purchasers accepted an agreement to allow utilities to fudge setpoints slightly during grid peaks, in order to get rebates, as incentive t allow them to do this. Ecobee never had any promotion like this. Even then Nest owners are allowed to just set their setpoint back or opt-out at any time they decide they don't want to be involved. People will be demanding compensation here.

I have my "Donate Data" disabled and although it shouldn't be related ecobee's silly neighbourhood efficiency comparisons haven't worked for the last year or so for me. Also I do not use automatic occupancy settings. They just don't work properly  with large thermal mass and slow response, and I found ecobee support couldn't do the arithmetic to average the tree sensor readings when I proved their system doesn't work properly. Like the Nest, every turns these "wonderful" features off

I noticed a few having the same complaint as I would have. If they changed my setpoints by 2 degrees it would take 12-16 hour to get the temperature back in order. I know where they live. :)

I also use NG to heat my home and NG has never needed any peak control...so far. A/C is a different beast.

If this does happen the simplest would be to maintain a duplicate schedule in ISY, and any time the setpoint chages, slam it back to the schedule. Thank you @Jimbo and @io_guy.

I haven't seen any update to this "feature" yet on my ecobee3/4s. Looks like a class action suit coming if it arrives without an off option. The humidity interaction might work well though. I keep my windows closed and A/C working for June, July, and August minimum. Letting the outside humidity inside, would set my A/C behind, for almost a week trying to catch up. I live in the rural and air is dirty with farming dust and pollens, causing breathing problems.

All that ranting doesn't but I still think ecobee makes the best thermostat going.....so far. Google tried puffing their chest and got slapped, I guess it may be ecobee's turn to try it.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Just bought six a week ago. I am not even taking a chance and they are all going back. Too bad they are good stats overall, but I want to control my HVAC system.

Some forum posts commented the feature was able to be disabled.in a newer app version. May be some backpaddling going on.

This illustrates everything that is evil about the cloud model for IoT -- you get a whole bunch of all well-meaning individuals and organizations together, and with the best of intentions (even noble, in some cases -- saving the planet is certainly a wonderful ideal, isn't it?) -- and they end up creating something that kills goodwill and trust at a minimum, and hijacks otherwise-perfectly-working HVAC systems at worst.

My concern has never been that these companies would suddenly, one day, wake up, laugh nefariously, and set out to damage their customers.  My concern has always been the opposite -- that one day, someone at one of these companies would decide that they know better than I, and for my own good, and with the best of intentions, they would proceed  (just as Ecobee has done) to force their will upon my equipment, my home, my property, and ultimately attempt to force their will upon me personally.

Take this to heart, folks -- never use a cloud-based service for anything other than convenience (i.e. if you or your house can't survive with it unplugged, don't put it in the cloud!)

Edited by mwester
  • Like 2

Some forum posts commented the feature was able to be disabled.in a newer app version. May be some backpaddling going on.

Not going to take the chance.

This illustrates everything that is evil about the cloud model for IoT -- you get a whole bunch of all well-meaning individuals and organizations together, and with the best of intentions (even noble, in some cases -- saving the planet is certainly a wonderful ideal, isn't it?) -- and they end up creating something that kills goodwill and trust at a minimum, and hijacks otherwise-perfectly-working HVAC systems at worst.
My concern has never been that these companies would suddenly, one day, wake up, laugh nefariously, and set out to damage their customers.  My concern has always been the opposite -- that one day, someone at one of these companies would decide that they know better than I, and for my own good, and with the best of intentions, they would proceed  (just as Ecobee has done) to force their will upon my equipment, my home, my property, and ultimately attempt to force their will upon me personally.
Take this to heart, folks -- never use a cloud-based service for anything other than convenience (i.e. if you or your house can't survive with it unplugged, don't put it in the cloud!)

Thing about this stat is that its not cloud dependent. It can use the cloud if you chose. For Ecobee to push this “feature” to clients is ridiculous. I am going to use the generic Mitsubishi stats with my heat pumps along with CoolAutomation. Now for a UDI polyglot!

12 hours ago, larryllix said:

I have yet to see this on my stats, but I'm hopeful it will show up one day soon.

The feature seems like a really good idea, and I'm sure many will benefit from using it.  But yeah, it absolutely should be optional.

I was just about to pull the trigger myself.  Venstar, here I come.

Terms of service statesM

“You may cancel Your use of eco+ at any time by disabling the feature (i.e., adjusting eco+ to the lowest savings level) in the menu of the ecobee mobile app, web portal or on the ecobee thermostat feature of eco+. You may re-enable eco+ using the same menu options.”

Does anyone really think the lowest settings are “Off”? Not sure I trust that. Would be better to have an actual off option.

I have installed many Venstar stats and not had any issues. @Larryllix complains about his but he is old and grumpy!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Terms of service statesM

“You may cancel Your use of eco+ at any time by disabling the feature (i.e., adjusting eco+ to the lowest savings level) in the menu of the ecobee mobile app, web portal or on the ecobee thermostat feature of eco+. You may re-enable eco+ using the same menu options.”

Does anyone really think the lowest settings are “Off”? Not sure I trust that. Would be better to have an actual off option.

I have installed many Venstar stats and not had any issues. @Larryllix complains about his but he is old and grumpy!
Wait until you spring chickens get some real experience, then report back, stat!

:):):).

Sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

I was just about to pull the trigger myself.  Venstar, here I come.

+ @Scottmichaelj

I’ve had them for 5 years and really happy. The nodelink support is great and io_guy is really responsive to feature requests. While the weather dashboard, mobile app and web dashboard are ‘cloud’, that’s separate from the local api. 

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulbates said:

+ @Scottmichaelj

I’ve had them for 5 years and really happy. The nodelink support is great and io_guy is really responsive to feature requests. While the weather dashboard, mobile app and web dashboard are ‘cloud’, that’s separate from the local api. 

Paul

I already have the return label for them to go back to Amazon and ordered some CoolAutomation HVAC controllers. I was stuck in the Honeywell walled garden so long I can't be held down anymore, I need to fly free like a bird! ?

Like I said now just need polyglot and have it work with MANY different stats!  https://coolautomation.com/

• Like 1

I got eco+ pushed to my two stats over a month ago. While I also don't like "features" being pushed on me w/o my control, you can effectively disable it by turning off all the functions one by one. Personally, I kept the "feels like" function on and turned all others off. With wild swings in humidity here in Texas, adjusting temp based on humidity is a nice function to have.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TexMike said:

I got eco+ pushed to my two stats over a month ago. While I also don't like "features" being pushed on me w/o my control, you can effectively disable it by turning off all the functions one by one. Personally, I kept the "feels like" function on and turned all others off. With wild swings in humidity here in Texas, adjusting temp based on humidity is a nice function to have.

The "feels like" is at least partially based on the Canadian concept of Humidex. Perceived comfort is a factor of temperature and humidity. 

To the OPs original post, what people feel and what humidex calculations decide to do, don't always line up. I think areas with wide swings of humidity would benefit most from that feature.

Paul

42 minutes ago, TexMike said:

you can effectively disable it by turning off all the functions one by one. 

Respectfully disagree.  Mine are set to minimum with all 5 functions turned off.  My stats constantly show (for example) the setting is 78, the temperature is 79, and the AC is not running.  This was not the case before eco+ came along.

18 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Respectfully disagree.  Mine are set to minimum with all 5 functions turned off.  My stats constantly show (for example) the setting is 78, the temperature is 79, and the AC is not running.  This was not the case before eco+ came along.

Is the eco+ icon showing up on the stat? Anytime a setting is overridden by eco+ the icon will show on the stat. Are you sure it's not because temp is not above cooling differential? I have cooling differential set to 1 and it's not uncommon to see +1 on the stat for a while before A/C kicks in. 

• Like 1