Is Nodelink installable on Policy ??

bgrubb1

15 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@garybixler,

We are waiting for a port that supports OpenSSL 1.1b. Otherwise, you will have to install OpenSSL 1.1 along with it which might have a conflict with other libraries AND, more importantly, it will be removed once UDX does an update.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks for the update on this. Looking forward to being able to run it my shiny new Polisy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:48 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@garybixler,

We are waiting for a port that supports OpenSSL 1.1b. Otherwise, you will have to install OpenSSL 1.1 along with it which might have a conflict with other libraries AND, more importantly, it will be removed once UDX does an update.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

Just to bump this thread...  Is there any momentum on the NodeLink/Polisy issue?

Many thanks.

This has nothing to do with my app.  There is no official Net Core package for BSD.  Someone compiled one but it relies on the official SSL package (which UDI does not use).
https://github.com/jasonpugsley/core-sdk/wiki/.Net-Core-3.0.0-for-FreeBSD

I'm running it fine on my modified (BSD repo enabled) Polisy; what UDI wants to do is up to them.

3 hours ago, io_guy said:

The OpenSSL I install is from the base BSD repo.  I don't know what you guys are doing on your side but it's not base.

Base system openssl: /usr/bin/openssl - this is present on the system out of the box with no pkg installed.
Installed via packages: /usr/local/bin/openssl

Right now that would be exact same 1.1.1d so it does not make sense to install via pkg.

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:07 AM, xKing said:

Base system openssl: /usr/bin/openssl - this is present on the system out of the box with no pkg installed.
Installed via packages: /usr/local/bin/openssl

Right now that would be exact same 1.1.1d so it does not make sense to install via pkg.

We're up to 1.1.1g now.  Still a bad idea to be able to install the package?

And for those curious...

image.png.dfb1119362e7abf0c78bc8ac81cc4bfb.png

It runs fine with the openssl package installed.

2 hours ago, io_guy said:

And for those curious...

What would the install steps be for installing NodeLink on the Polisy? The install script that I found earlier doesn't appear to work. :(

UDI originally wanted to create a package to do this in order to keep everything under their repo and install system.  This clearly isn't happening but I don't think it's my place to spell out the steps here as it puts the polisy in a non-standard configuration which may break later with changes to the polisy OS.   

20 minutes ago, io_guy said:

UDI originally wanted to create a package to do this in order to keep everything under their repo and install system.  This clearly isn't happening but I don't think it's my place to spell out the steps here as it puts the polisy in a non-standard configuration which may break later with changes to the polisy OS.   

:( ? That makes me really sad.

What would it take to make a Brultech Node Server stand alone.... That is what I really need. (Someone created a node server for Venstar and that works quite well.) I just really do not understand (as of right now) the language used for Node Servers, but I could likely figure it out with enough time. (Which as an essential IT contractor right now, is not a lot.)

On 5/8/2020 at 9:12 PM, io_guy said:

And for those curious...

You can just symlink /usr/lib/libssl to /usr/local/lib/libssl if you just need a path to be there

Clearly you got it working, so stop pissing around a make the package UDI have been talking about for 6 months.  Or just say you don't give a shit about NodeLink, polyglot is the future, and we'll move on.

Cause for the last 5 months all I've heard is how incompatible .NET Core is with polisy's OS.  We both have solutions and neither is being implemented.

It's unfortunate UDI chose FreeBSD rather than Linux for Polisy. I understand the reasons why (licensing) but all the interesting embedded stuff is happening in Linux. Had it been 10 years ago it might be a different story, but nowadays if you're going to do embedded on FreeBSD you have to do it soup-to-nuts because the community has all moved on to Linux, FreeBSD simply isn't an interesting target anymore. That may mean there isn't room for a non-polyglot package any more, because it's too hard to support something that's not part of the ecosystem. I'm also curious what impact a FreeBSD base will have on specialty hardware support.

That being said, I'm with @io_guy, not sure why'd you do a custom openssl install when it's baked into the OS's standard packages and all the work is done for you. Of all the packages in the world, OpenSSL is probably the last package you want to be fooling around with.

I certainly agree about all the observations regarding FreeBSD vs Linux -- that's pretty much been my experience as I dove into the Polisy.  I've used BSD and BSD-based OS's for different reasons throughout my career -- my struggles are certainly not due to a learning curve.  Rather, as you observe, the gap has grown too wide and FreeBSD has taken a different course.  As an example: docker has never been ported, and the FreeBSD community seems delighted by that.  Alas, "jails" are NOT equivalent.

But, I'm not willing to say that UDI's choice was unfortunate.  I can see why they made that choice, and if the future works out as hoped, it'll be a great solution to integrate the ISY and node servers for the non-technical masses.

For the rest of us -- the more technical crowd -- I think the solution is pretty clear right now.  With the advent of the Raspberry Pi 4, the performance and capability gap between the Polisy hardware and the RPI has closed up considerably (RAM, USB-3, real bus-attached networking hardware, and capability to boot to a real SSD or HDD).  And as for the software, right now (somewhat regrettably*), there's nothing you can do on a Polisy that you can't do on an RPI.

(* Note: I'd rather hoped we'd see something unique, perhaps with all those network ports on the Polisy, that would make it a no-brainer for a non-technical user to set it up -- for example, "plug the ISY's network jack into the labelled port on the Polisy, plug the port labeled "To Router" on your Polisy into your router, and wait for the LEDs to indicate that the Polisy and ISY have found each other and autoconfigured themselves.")

Bottom line: if you asked me a couple months ago, I'd have said something like "we need to get nodelink on the Polisy, it's not just better hardware, it's clearly going to be easier all the way around."   Today... the low-cost hardware gap is closed, and for right now, there's no software-based advantage to the Polisy... and after spending a lot of time trying to get things that would be a breeze on Linux working on the Polisy, I'd have to say that there are indeed software-based advantages to the RPI approach, at least for those of us who value technical open-ness and breadth of software support.

(Still looking forward to the future of the Polisy... and mine is happily sitting on the shelf in the workshop waiting along with me.  But my latest home automation projects have swung back to Linux (RPI Zero) and to the ESP8266-based hardware.)

Hey guys,

I'm both glad and sad to see this thread continue and offer different points of view.

As someone who is "quasi-technical" there is a definite limit to how much time and energy I can spend to get these working as envisioned. TBH, my Polisy is also just sitting there having no real advantage over what I was using previously.

I just hope it changes over time, as I was counting on this to be my "hub" of the future! Right now it feels like a door-stop...and I don't say that to be a jerk, it's just the unfortunate truth in my case.

56 minutes ago, Tuckerdude said:

Hey guys,

I'm both glad and sad to see this thread continue and offer different points of view.

As someone who is "quasi-technical" there is a definite limit to how much time and energy I can spend to get these working as envisioned. TBH, my Polisy is also just sitting there having no real advantage over what I was using previously.

I just hope it changes over time, as I was counting on this to be my "hub" of the future! Right now it feels like a door-stop...and I don't say that to be a jerk, it's just the unfortunate truth in my case.

I don't think that yours is a fair assessment.  The way UDI works is to bring  a new state-of-the-art hardware and then gradually add features that are also innovating but that  need to be tested. This community helps with the testing.

The Polisy may, right now, bring you limited new features compared to the RPi that you were probably using, but it is way more powerful and easier to set up and use for the less techies, like me and others. Eventually the ISY software will run on the Polisy and many more nodeservers  will be added.  It has more ports and therefore numerous possibilities.

It is your choice to jump on the train early or later, and speaking of trains..... The Polisy is like the super fast trains in Europe (TGV) and Japan (Shinkansen) . First they need new rails, then the locomotive, new safety procedures...... It is a gradual process, but the progress is exciting and full of new horizons.

Archived