Polisy has arrived however I cannot connect. RESOLVED

Nope, not as far as I know - Edmonton and Denver follow the same Daylight Savings pattern.  But this is still mickey.  I mean, issues setting my timezone?  Am I really gonna trust a device suffering from this kind of trivial issue with automating my thermostat, or making presence-based decisions that may trigger actions?

I've attempted to set up 4 nodeservers so far: SolarEdge, Lutron, Harmony, and Nest.  The last three all failed to connect or start.  Nest might be an issue regarding Google buying them after I bought my thermostats, so I'll shelve that one.  Lutron reports code issues in the connection process, and Harmony reports being unable to connect despite having the correct IP - my bet is its missing my login credentials, but who knows.

I'm starting to really question whether this device is ready for market.  It was delayed a couple months from initial launch promises to get some late-breaking issues resolved, but I think a couple more months might have been wise.  I don't mind being part of this beta-debug process, but I worry a bad start like this will kill the mass market (if my brother or brother-in-law, for example, bought this gadget and had these problems in the first few hours, it would already be going back for refund), and UD will be forced to abandon the product as a commercial failure.  I hate buying orphaned products.

gviliunas, "not a Canada-only issue" - that's good to hear!  I've made several attempts to change to Edmonton, it always says it succeeded but when I check back, its reverted.  But now that I know somebody has managed to make the change, I'll keep trying.  Thx!

[ edit1: hilarious!  I can change tz to Vancouver no problem, but it just WON'T accept/keep Edmonton. ]

[ edit2: now I'm just insulted - I can change to ANY other Canadian city on the tz list and the change holds, even Calgary (!!!) - but not Edmonton.  Another bug. ]

Thanks everyone for posting the polisy issues.  I have spent  3 days with the sames problems everyone is posting and have submitted my tickets to UD support.  Their advice has not helped.  ISY is not found error.  Does anyone out there have a detailed work around for a non-techie (no coding). We actually shouldn't have to struggle with a work around.  UD needs to send an update for polisy. I hope they can at least assure us they will be sending a new firmware release soon.  I had high hopes for polisy but currently very disappointed. Just adding my 2 cents.

Where are you in your effort to get things going,  rkhauto?  Do you have the standard or the Pro (with WiFi/Bluetooth) model?  Does it connect to your network?  Can you login?  It depends on how deep in this do-do you are as to how much help is out there.  But I feel your frustrations, definitely.

I have the PRO. I could not connect using https://polisy but able to connect to polisy using the IP.   Support suggested using DHCP reservation so I did that. I can see polisy on my network hub. All good there. I entered my ISY parameters on the polisy setting screen.  I have rebooted my ISY, Polisy, my network hub, checked my network.  I also reset polisy and started over. Just can't get polisy to see my isy.

You say you entered ISY parameters on the Polisy Settings screen (I assume you mean Settings -> Polyglot Settings screen).  That screen in my Polisy looks like this:

Polyglot Settings

-> Polyglot Web Port: 443

ISY Settings

-> Address/Hostname: 192.168.xx.yy   (same as my home network private IP for ISY)

-> Port: 80

-> Username: my ISY login username

-> Password: my ISY login password

-> Use HTTPS:   (box left UNCHECKED)    (I only access my ISY while on my home network, not from the web, so no serious need for HTTPS)

Does your screen look similar?  Polisy defaults to "admin" for ISY username and I don't know what (maybe "admin" again) for the ISY password, so if you don't enter your actual login info, you won't get communications with the ISY.  If you make changes to the screen fields, don't forget to hit "SAVE" at the very bottom of the screen before going back to the Dashboard.  It wouldn't hurt to go to System -> Reboot Polisy while you're at it.

Are you familiar with using "ssh" to login into network devices?

OK, I assume you've already confirmed your actual ISY network IP address and port info are the same as what you entered, and that you ensured your username and password were entered with correct capitalization (I'm famous for trying to login into my network devices while having the CAPS lock on, and wondering why it doesn't work).  Don't worry about ssh for now.

Go to the Settings -> Polisy Configuration screen and tell us what's in the IP4 Networking -> Network Interface field ... is it wlan0 or igb0?  If its wlan0, scroll down to the WiFi section of the screen - what's in the Currently Connected SSID field?  Does it say "Not Connected" or is there a network SSID name there?  Are you trying to communicate with your network over the Polisy Ethernet cable plugged into the port right next to the 9-pin D-Shell connector, or are you deliberately trying to use the Polisy's WiFi capability?

I prefer to connect by Ethernet (which is plugged into the right port closest to the 9-pin connector).  When the network interface is set to igb0 my IP4 address is the same as the IP showing on my network hub. It was automatically set on my network hub with the name polisy and associated IP.  All seems good there.

If I change the Network Interface to wlan0 it seems to connect to my wifi network.  It says connected. The interesting thing there is that the IP4 address is different than when the network interface is set to igb0 (not sure if that is suppose to happen).

Forgot to mentioned when I first installed the unit it said 2 update packages were available. I tired to update and I received a message saying the update was successful. When I check the logs it does not seem to indicate the updates were installed.  Also when I check for updates again it still say 2 update packages available.  

I checked my isy user name and password many times thinking I typed it wrong but that does not appear to be the issue.

Any other thoughts?

I probably should have asked this first: can you log into your ISY interface (using the UD launcher) using the same credentials as you're using in Polisy?  I'm pretty sure you've checked this (probably more than once), but I'll ask to get it out of the way.

Yeah, the IP address will change as you move from wired to wireless interface type: each has a different MAC address (that 6-part hex-code you often see, like 0C:45:F2: etc), and each MAC attaches to its own IP address as a general rule.  If you have a network scanner (more common on smart-phones these days), you should be able to scan and find the same WiFi IP Polisy displays when set to wlan0, the "wireless lan 0" interface name.

So, to backtrack a moment, you can login to Polisy and see the various configuration screens, but Polisy can't see your ISY on the same private network (networks that start with 192.168.xx.yy), and you can't update the Polisy despite being notified updates are waiting.  You've rebooted both ISY and Polisy.  Your router sees both ISY and Polisy as present.

Sorta sounds like you had momentary access to the web when you first connected (by WiFi, I assume), but now you can't talk to local or remote network nodes.  If you set the interface to wlan0, can you download the updates (ie, perhaps your wired ethernet connection isn't as stable as you think?).  Are you still using a DHCP-assigned ethernet IP, or did you reserve it in DHCP in your router?

Hmm, when you go to Nodeserver Store, using either wlan0 or igb0 interface, does the screen populate with installable nodes, or remain empty?

Are you familiar with "pinging" web servers from a terminal?

Lemme stew on this a while.

[ edit1: changed "wireless" typo to "wired ethernet" ]

[ My apologies to all, and especially the UD forum moderators - I'd post all these comments in a more suitable sub-forum dedicated to Polisy issues, but there doesn't seem to be one, at least not one I can find after a search.  Lots of partially-applicable spots turned up in my search - Polyglot V2 and ISY Portal, for example - but none dedicated specifically to Polisy launch issues.  So I guess I'll continue to post here for now.  If a more suitable sub-forum exists or is created for these comments, just give me a heads-up.  ]

Changing the username and password in the Polisy web server user interface via browser has no effect on ssh logins.

For example, change your username from 'admin' to 'ralph' and the password from 'admin' to 'ralphs_dog'.  From then on, you can login to the Polisy web server using those login credentials.  Standard stuff.

But login via 'ssh', and you'll quickly discover that Polisy's username and password there are both still 'admin'.  Kind of a security concern if your Polisy is exposed directly to the web outside the firewall.  Leaving the ssh login cred's at the default 'admin' isn't exactly a secure solution.

So ... if I change the username and password from within a 'ssh' login, what happens at the web server level?  Do the new credentials percolate up to Polisy's web server?  Or do I end up with two different sets of login credentials to keep straight?  Sorta reluctant to try this in case I get locked out, or something weird.

The 'admin' login, at the command prompt, is a different login than what you use for Polyglot.  There is indeed a user 'polyglot' set up on your system, but that user isn't meant for doing system tasks at the command prompt, it's only meant for connecting to your Polyglot instance and affecting the changes through the Polyglot user interface.  In fact, you can't even login to the 'polyglot' account at the command prompt.

You can certainly change the 'admin' user password using the 'passwd' utility, but that changes only the 'admin' account that you use to login to the command prompt, via SSH.  I wouldn't bother with creating a new administrator account unless you're an experienced system administrator (on *nix variants, not Windows).  Additionally, it makes no sense to do that unless you intend to delete the existing 'admin' account.  Remember, your Polisy runs FreeBSD, not Linux, so there are significant differences.

You can change the Polyglot username and password through the Polyglot "Settings | Profile" menu. 

These logins are separate and distinct, and one doesn't affect the other.

Actually, I'd have to agree with f11 in the general sense -- the SSH port is open by default, uses default credentials by default, and offers no obvious or simple means to change those credentials (logging in via PuTTY and running the "passwd" command is obvious and simple for the *nix geeks here, but far far from obvious for the general user!).  Best practices in the security world are that part of the initial setup of the Polisy should force the user to change all the credentials, including those for SSH.

Since this is a very early launch of the device, and since users will inevitably lose those credentials just when they'll be most needed, I can see the reason to leave this as-is for this initial roll-out.  But this security gap does need to be fixed in an upcoming release.

Update on my connection issue. The Good, the bad and the ugly.  The Good - I was able to use PuTTY to update the my polisy. The Bad - I thought my ISY was on the latest version but it was actually running version  5.0.13 which is a totally miss on my part (ya I'm an idiot for this miss). I have upgraded to 5.0.16. The Ugly - Prior the changes I just mentioned, I went into the Polisy Config settings and changed DNS Server 2 .  Now when I log into Polisy, the server status which previously said  'connected 'now says 'disconnected' and it will not load the config setting therefore I cannot change/remove DNS Server 2.  So, although I may have resolved my issue by updating my ISY and polisy using PuTTY I cannot get polisy to connect to the server.  Does anyone know if I can change config settings through PuTTY and if so what would the commands be?  

rkhauto - so now your ISY is up to 5.0.16 (firmware and UI, right?).  That's a question I should have asked right up front, sorry, as usual my assumptions skewered both of us.

Well, if you're comfortable with putty (you're working on a Windows PC I take it), login to the Polisy using ssh:

cd /etc             [ change directory to '/etc/ ]
ls -al res*         [ list the directory contents, looking for files that start with 'res' ]

You should see these two files : 'resolv.conf' and 'resolv.conf.bak'

This is where Polisy stores the DNS IPs (hence the 'resolve' reference in the file names).  If you list the contents of 'resolv.conf', you'll probably see these two lines:

cat resolv.conf

# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver xx.yy.zz.vv

The 'nameserver' line will display the DNS address you entered manually (?).  Disclosure: I'm no FreeBSD expert, so it'd be great if someone with more experience than me confirmed this solution before you act:

1. you should be able to edit resolv.conf using the text editor of your choice (text editor 'ee' is on the Polisy already and its as basic as they come)
2. remove the nameserver line that has the DNS server IP you entered manually, and save changes
3. run 'sudo resolvconf -u' to make the changes hold through reboots (basically re-generates the DNS nameservers list for subscribers) 

If you now list the content of file 'resolv.conf', it should no longer contain your manually entered DNS IP.  Even if you reboot the Polisy, this file shouldn't revert.

On my Polisy, I see 1 line in this file: 'nameserver 192.168.1.1', which says Polisy is using my network router IP as its only DNS nameserver.  The router config holds my network DNS IPs, and performs the DNS look ups when a client asks via the router.  I assume your setup is pretty similar, but again - if some resident expert were to chime in here and confirm or correct what I'm suggesting, that would be ideal.

Hi all, a few comments:

1. WiFi connecting to open WiFi router is fixed in udx 10.0.26_8. If you have access to the UI, you can update directly
2. Time zone issue is also fixed
3. The problem with the secondary antenna (on the left side when facing Polisy) is that the connector is SMA whereas it should have been RP-SMA. Currently trying to source either the connector or the antenna. If you are not using 5Ghz, not having this antenna will have 0 impact. We will send email to all those affected as soon as we figure out where to source and the timelines.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

As of 3:25PM MST, Polisy UI reports 0 updates available when selecting System -> Check for Polisy Updates.  As I'm unsure which udx version I have, I just tried to adjust my tz setting - still can't select 'Canada, AB, Edmonton (-7)' and have it stick, but can select any other Canadian city/tz successfully.  Can't speak to the WiFi fix, I'm staying on Ethernet cable for now.  Although it WOULD be nice to turn on my printer again and not have it distract Polisy.

Perhaps an adapter might be an alternative if you can't source the connector or antenna.  It would look ugly (relatively speaking) but if there are no other practical options, it might do the job.

Maybe I'm being thick - but what exactly is the general purpose of Polisy : is it as simple as dumping a pile of home measurements into ISY?

I ask because the data showing up in the Polisy nodeserver screens is displayed in what I'll call raw format, without offering a clue what is a temperature, a pressure, a water flow, or a light status.  From this, I assume Polisy's most general purpose is to act as a middle-man between home smart devices/clouds and ISY.  I do see that once in ISY, these values can be incorporated into ISY's if-then-else structures, and as a side benefit be made available to Alexa/GH.

Which brings up the purpose of nodeservers like Harmony and Lutron, to name a couple I'm interested in.  Both are already available to Alexa (and presumably to GH) via its app, so adding them to ISY just seems to confuse Alexa who now has multiple references to the same devices once 'discovering' the new ISY entries.  So unless you want to use Harmony and Lutron device states in ISY control sequences, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to adding their nodeservers to Polisy, unless of course you don't have Alexa or GH already.  If you already own an Alexa-GH type gadget, are you supposed to decide which devices to connect to them, and which to connect to ISY, avoiding overlaps?

Re: Harmony for example - it shows up in ISY as 'Harmony One' and 'HarmonyHub Controller', presenting some basic status info about each.  Good to know.  But am I supposed to add my Harmony devices manually via the nodeserver so that ISY can see the TV or the AVR set-top box status or functions?  If so, how?  I don't get it.  As I said, maybe I'm just being thick - its Monday after all.

I've spent the last several hours reading forum posts and online references regarding polyglot and can't find anything that carries a working example from nodeserver creation through to an actual practical use case for home automation.  Most of the discussions seem to focus on how to get this or that info into polyglot as part of a nodeserver.  But then there's not much discussion as to what to do once that's been achieved.

When I see Polisy described as an eventual replacement for my trusty ISY, I'm mystified and a little concerned.  ISY shows enough descriptive detail about every device connected to it (at least for Insteon) that I can just load it up, program it, and go.  If I had to use Polisy's screens to do something useful, I'd go mad trying to decipher all the cryptic attributes.

What am I missing here?  What's the step to do after getting a Harmony or Lutron or SolarEdge nodeserver running and discovered in ISY?

9 minutes ago, f11 said:

Maybe I'm being thick - but what exactly is the general purpose of Polisy : is it as simple as dumping a pile of home measurements into ISY? YES

I ask because the data showing up in the Polisy nodeserver screens is displayed in what I'll call raw format, without offering a clue what is a temperature, a pressure, a water flow, or a light status.  From this, I assume Polisy's most general purpose is to act as a middle-man between home smart devices/clouds and ISY.  I do see that once in ISY, these values can be incorporated into ISY's if-then-else structures, and as a side benefit be made available to Alexa/GH.

For the past couple of years, experienced users have been setting up RPIs in order to get the ISY talking to other devices. Some people do not have the technical know how, desire, or inclination to do this themselves. Polisy is a device that takes care of this for them. Outside of downloading the nodeservers you want and configuring them, you do nothing to Polisy. The ISY "decodes" everything for you.

Which brings up the purpose of nodeservers like Harmony and Lutron, to name a couple I'm interested in.  Both are already available to Alexa (and presumably to GH) via its app, so adding them to ISY just seems to confuse Alexa who now has multiple references to the same devices once 'discovering' the new ISY entries.  So unless you want to use Harmony and Lutron device states in ISY control sequences, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to adding their nodeservers to Polisy, unless of course you don't have Alexa or GH already.  If you already own an Alexa-GH type gadget, are you supposed to decide which devices to connect to them, and which to connect to ISY, avoiding overlaps?

Taking the time to plan your system and learning everything is paramount when you step into complicated controllers such as the ISY. One general rule that you see on here is that the ISY should be the commander for EVERYTHING. The next is being wiling to make mistakes and clean them up. If you properly plan your system, you'll find everything with it becomes much simpler. With that said, going off the premise that the ISY controls your devices, everything should flow through there. Though I use hue, sonos, harmony, insteon, zwave, etc. non are added to my alexas (or google) directly. My ISY is attached to them and I control those devices, scenes, and programs, with my assistants. Alexa>ISY>HUE/Harmony/Sonos/etc. There is no overlap or issues. If you want to use Alexa to control  your house then you can. However, I prefer automation not control. Alexa, siri, and Google are nothing but glorified (and expensive) remotes. I (as many here) prefer automation which is what the ISY provides.

Re: Harmony for example - it shows up in ISY as 'Harmony One' and 'HarmonyHub Controller', presenting some basic status info about each.  Good to know.  But am I supposed to add my Harmony devices manually via the nodeserver so that ISY can see the TV or the AVR set-top box status or functions?  If so, how?  I don't get it.  As I said, maybe I'm just being thick - its Monday after all.

What I suggest is sit down to take the time to figure out what you want to do with your system and simply read the information that is readily available. Since you asked about harmony, I will use that for my example. On the harmony sub forum, the  second line contains the link where you can see the instructions for getting it up and running. If in the polyglot store, clicking on the link will take you to the instruction page as well.

I've spent the last several hours reading forum posts and online references regarding polyglot and can't find anything that carries a working example from nodeserver creation through to an actual practical use case for home automation.  Most of the discussions seem to focus on how to get this or that info into polyglot as part of a nodeserver.  But then there's not much discussion as to what to do once that's been achieved.

Once added, what you do with the information is based on your desires. Hopefully you have a plan in place on what things you want to do with the nodeservers that you've downloaded. Using my home for example, the harmony nodeserver allows me to shut everything down together when I leave the house or a room. I dont need multiple commands, multiple buttons or multiple steps. Instead of having to go to the other side of the bed to grab the remote, to turn off the tv, I can simply hit the button on my way out the bedroom to turn off the lights and tv. When I go to bed, I can hit my goodnight button to run my goodnight program. it'll turn off the tv and lights in the room im in and set up my bedroom to sleep. This includes turning on the tv and setting the lights. 

When I see Polisy described as an eventual replacement for my trusty ISY, I'm mystified and a little concerned.  ISY shows enough descriptive detail about every device connected to it (at least for Insteon) that I can just load it up, program it, and go.  If I had to use Polisy's screens to do something useful, I'd go mad trying to decipher all the cryptic attributes.

Polisy is a bridge device (someday it will be an all in one ISY controller), that allows ISY users to control supported non native devices such as hue, harmony, and sonos. It is not used for anything other than configuring the necessary information ( such as account access) that is needed for the ISY to see. Polisy runs those nodeservers so that the ISY can use that information as if it were a native device.  I'm not going into great detail as this has been repeated on the forums numerous times (as well as the Polisy webpage). 

What am I missing here?  What's the step to do after getting a Harmony or Lutron or SolarEdge nodeserver running and discovered in ISY?

See above for Harmony instructions. The same applies for each nodeserver. Each also has their own subforum with fixes for problems that may arise

44 minutes ago, f11 said:

Maybe I'm being thick - but what exactly is the general purpose of Polisy : is it as simple as dumping a pile of home measurements into ISY?

The general purpose of Polisy is to provide a way to connect other signaling formats to your ISY. This makes these other systems available to include in your scenes and programs.

When you set up your Harmony node server dis you follow these instructions.

• Connect to one of your Hubs in the Harmony App
  • Select Menu -> Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices & Activities
  • Select Remote & Hub -> Enable XMPP
  • Do this for every hub.

You do have to enable XMPP. Once you do that all the devices you have in your Harmony Hub will show up in the Polisy dashboard and in your ISY. Then you can include these devices in scenes and programs.

So ok, for now, Polisy is a translator, allowing communications (data) to bridge different 'languages'.  The user was never meant to 'do anything' with Polisy screens, other than select and install (and to a limited extent, configure) nodeservers.

I hadn't seen that "enable xmpp' bit ... since I didn't see anything like that in the Polisy  configuration screen, it must be in the Harmony app.  I have one harmony hub, so you're saying all I have to do is enable that feature, and perhaps ISY will start seeing more than just the hub and controller.

I have a plan, 'lilyoyo1'.  I've been using ISY with Insteon for a long time, starting with the ISY26, a few Insteon lamp modules, and some aging X10 gadgets I'd had since the mid-90's.  I loved the ISY programming aspect, once I got used to what the 'then' and 'else' clauses meant.  I added and integrated Alexa into my home for its voice interface, still relying on ISY to do almost all my background home lighting automation.  Alexa allowed me to 'control', as you put it, my audio-video system via Harmony when there was no easy way (that I could see) to have ISY handle it - the simple phrase 'On Screen' turns everything on, sets the volume and channel, and dims the lights.  Alexa also allowed me to integrate my Lutron Serena blinds, which ISY couldn't handle (to my knowledge), into an automation strategy based on time of day.  I have a dozen RPi's in my home to serve various nred functions, but Polyglot wasn't one of them - to be honest, I'd never run across the word in this context until the Polisy email forced me to Google it.

So yeah, I've had/implemented a plan for a good many years - and that's why I'm asking what exactly Polisy is, because its marketed at the 'consumer' as simple and easy, while I found it thoroughly confusing and without obvious purpose.  I did get the sense that Polisy might offer a reason to change my plan, but there wasn't much I could find to clarify the situation - so I'm asking.  If ISY's user interface will eventually be integrated into it, then I can certainly see Polisy carrying on as ISY's (more capable) successor at some point.  But when Polisy is marketed as "ISY's sidekick", that long-range evolution is obscured.

As for 'control' vs 'automate', you're splitting a pretty fine hair.  I worked as an engineer in the process control industry until I retired 10 years ago, and believe me, there's plenty of 'remote control' involved to make automation work.  My home automation is designed to support me and my habits, which change day to day making pure automation almost impossible with current tech - some things can be automated and forgotten (my primary lights), other things can't be 100% automated because my routine changes constantly and requires input from me.

But thanks for your answers, in big bold italicized red letters.  I got your message.  Appreciate your input.

I spent the whole weekend reading posts and wiki's and marketing.  One thing I couldn't find was Polisy-<pick-a-nodeserver> sub-forums - I searched for Polisy in the forums and this thread seemed to be the most active and relevant for noobs.  I'll have to go back and look for those sub-forums - if my questions are answered in them, then great - my apologies for stupid questions and taking up bandwidth here.

5 minutes ago, f11 said:

hadn't seen that "enable xmpp' bit ... since I didn't see anything like that in the Polisy  configuration screen, it must be in the Harmony app.  I have one harmony hub, so you're saying all I have to do is enable that feature, and perhaps ISY will start seeing more than just the hub and controller.

I apologize, I should have told you where to find xmpp which is in the Harmony App. Per instructions, open the Harmony app, select menu from the Harmony app, then select Harmony setup, then select add/edit devices and activities, then select Remote and Hub, then enable XMPP. Your Polisy will now find your Harmony devices.

• Connect to one of your Hubs in the Harmony App
  • Select Menu -> Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices & Activities
  • Select Remote & Hub -> Enable XMPP
  • Do this for every hub.
51 minutes ago, f11 said:

So ok, for now, Polisy is a translator, allowing communications (data) to bridge different 'languages'.  The user was never meant to 'do anything' with Polisy screens, other than select and install (and to a limited extent, configure) nodeservers.

I hadn't seen that "enable xmpp' bit ... since I didn't see anything like that in the Polisy  configuration screen, it must be in the Harmony app.  I have one harmony hub, so you're saying all I have to do is enable that feature, and perhaps ISY will start seeing more than just the hub and controller.

I have a plan, 'lilyoyo1'.  I've been using ISY with Insteon for a long time, starting with the ISY26, a few Insteon lamp modules, and some aging X10 gadgets I'd had since the mid-90's.  I loved the ISY programming aspect, once I got used to what the 'then' and 'else' clauses meant.  I added and integrated Alexa into my home for its voice interface, still relying on ISY to do almost all my background home lighting automation.  Alexa allowed me to 'control', as you put it, my audio-video system via Harmony when there was no easy way (that I could see) to have ISY handle it - the simple phrase 'On Screen' turns everything on, sets the volume and channel, and dims the lights.  Alexa also allowed me to integrate my Lutron Serena blinds, which ISY couldn't handle (to my knowledge), into an automation strategy based on time of day.  I have a dozen RPi's in my home to serve various nred functions, but Polyglot wasn't one of them - to be honest, I'd never run across the word in this context until the Polisy email forced me to Google it.

Polisy isnt needed if you know how to set up an RPI with polyglot. Its out there for users who do not want to or cant set up an rpi. When I say have a plan, its all encompassing. Alexa and other assistants are good for what they do but none beats true automation. Having a plan answers the why something is important(which goes to your comment about a practical use case). If you are happy with your setup then Polisy is uneeded. If you want the process automated and you dont have the expertise to set up polyglot, then Polisy would be a welcome addition. I dont want to ask Alexa or google to do something that I can automate. When I walk in the door, depending on time, the system should handle things for me. If my wife isnt watching tv, it'll automatically set the room the way I like it to be. If she is, it'll leave it the way she wants things. Ditto for her. Whether its on a Rpi or Polisy, these things are integrated through the ISY.

So yeah, I've had/implemented a plan for a good many years - and that's why I'm asking what exactly Polisy is, because its marketed at the 'consumer' as simple and easy, while I found it thoroughly confusing and without obvious purpose.  I did get the sense that Polisy might offer a reason to change my plan, but there wasn't much I could find to clarify the situation - so I'm asking.  If ISY's user interface will eventually be integrated into it, then I can certainly see Polisy carrying on as ISY's (more capable) successor at some point.  But when Polisy is marketed as "ISY's sidekick", that long-range evolution is obscured.

As previously stated, Polisy is for those who see a need for it. With you being happy with your setup, Polisy is a waste for right now. There are many others like me who see assistants as accessories not necessarily primary devices. For those without the skills or desire to setup an RPi (some just for looks), its benefits are great now. As with anything, the value of something at any given point is how much of a need it covers.

As for 'control' vs 'automate', you're splitting a pretty fine hair.  I worked as an engineer in the process control industry until I retired 10 years ago, and believe me, there's plenty of 'remote control' involved to make automation work.  My home automation is designed to support me and my habits, which change day to day making pure automation almost impossible with current tech - some things can be automated and forgotten (my primary lights), other things can't be 100% automated because my routine changes constantly and requires input from me.

Control and automate is not splitting hairs. Thats why you will find many of us on here making that distinction. Thats not to say parts of either one cant be included in the other. Its 1 better describes the larger process a person chooses to use. As you stated your use case with Harmony and your alexa. You still have to manually give some type of input. Its via voice but its still a manual form. Mine is more automated. I walk in the house. The ISY recognizes that its me, checks to see if my wife is already watching tv. If shes not, the family room is set up the way I like depending on the time. I dont have to say a word. When im ready for bed, depending on the time, simply turning off the tv will set things in motion for me to go to bed. Depending on the situation, the same is repeated for the bedroom. Technically, I can leave everything on. At some point, the ISY will simply shut everything down for me

But thanks for your answers, in big bold italicized red letters.  I got your message.  Appreciate your input.

The way I wrote wasnt anything personal.  I did it this way since I answered your individual questions directly in your statement. It was simply done to easily separate your words from mine. 

I spent the whole weekend reading posts and wiki's and marketing.  One thing I couldn't find was Polisy-<pick-a-nodeserver> sub-forums - I searched for Polisy in the forums and this thread seemed to be the most active and relevant for noobs.  I'll have to go back and look for those sub-forums - if my questions are answered in them, then great - my apologies for stupid questions and taking up bandwidth here.

11 hours ago, f11 said:

f11,

I'm with you on this topic,  had ISY for many years and love it and the team at Universal Devices they are great to deal with I have done so on many occasions including this Polisy mess,  I do have my Polisy Pro up and running only thanks to the UD techs and would recommend having them help you if your still having issues connecting.  Now like yourself I trying to educate myself on Polyglot and how to use it, install nodes and upload into my ISY.  I have not yet done any but one I think would be a start Ambient Weather since I have this weather station up and running. I think if there is more examples or videos possible would be great I have done a lot of reading on this since July when I ordered it but now it's time to practice.  

Many Thanks to lilyoyo1   for all the good info you provided.

2 hours ago, pmhgeneral said:

f11,

I'm with you on this topic,  had ISY for many years and love it and the team at Universal Devices they are great to deal with I have done so on many occasions including this Polisy mess,  I do have my Polisy Pro up and running only thanks to the UD techs and would recommend having them help you if your still having issues connecting.  Now like yourself I trying to educate myself on Polyglot and how to use it, install nodes and upload into my ISY.  I have not yet done any but one I think would be a start Ambient Weather since I have this weather station up and running. I think if there is more examples or videos possible would be great I have done a lot of reading on this since July when I ordered it but now it's time to practice.  

Many Thanks to lilyoyo1   for all the good info you provided.

One thing I do is look at what I do manually and look for ways to cut that process down automatically (this isn't specific to NS but programming in general). For example, I can tell Alexa to turn on the lights when I let the dog out. However, the simple act of my unlocking the door cuts down on that extra step (for security purposes I don't use voice to unlock).

The same applies for going to bed. I programmed my goodnight into my remote because I felt "why am I hitting an extra button?". Now, whether I turn off from the TV or kpl button, they both accomplish the same thing. 

If I find myself taking an extra step for anything I look for ways to automate.  Whether it's hardware or software driven, if I don't have it, I get what's needed.

Since you are looking at the weather NS, I would think about what you want to do with that information. If you have lifx or hue bulbs, you could program where you wake up to blue lights if its calling for inclement weather or sunlight when it's supposed to be a clear day. 

Archived