Displaying individual variables "as devices" (sort of like virtual devices)

madcodger

Thank you all - good to know!

Edit: Would this all be the same for virtual devices NOT tied to an ISY Variable? Basically - the Poly would hold it's own state for the variable (maybe using sqlite or the mongo that's part of Polyglot). This way - these devices are not subject to polling - and when the state is updated on ISY the Poly will see the change immediately?

I am working on the method migration to the Temperature node to mirror the Temperature C node, testing in progress and a version push is immanent.

The paying gig beckons so it is a travel day and I will be away from my desk for a few days. I will monitor this forum to help out when needed.

19 minutes ago, carealtor said:

I dunno.  All of this temperature stuff seems like it should be it's own NS.  I for one don't see the correlation to the concept of a "Virtual Switch".  (insert grumpy old man emoji here)

Hey, the temperature thing was just a simple part for @madcodger, all 10 lines of code.  I wanted the switch for my custom ISY app that is almost finished. The temperature part has taken over like some kind of monster, somewhere north of 300 lines now, because @Teken kept adding requests. But it's done and the final version is about to push to take care of the Temperature F side of things. Of course there is the Generic node to work on sometime.

Scratch everything I just said above everything is working as expected. I think once both Polyglot & ISY Series Controller gets all of the back end processes hammered out all of this will just operate as expected.

There must have been some kind of lag or processing error happening and just took some time to complete in the back ground. So for the benefit of others here are the steps to get this up and running.

- Virtual Node Server: Update to 1.0.11 and restart the virtual node server within the Polisy Dashboard.

- ISY Series Controller: Go to the Virtual Node Server parent tree and select *Update Profile* and close the Administration Console (AC).

- Device Tree: Go to each node and define what it is you need from Pull / Push, Variable Action, Variable ID, Raw to Prec, F to C, if required. The key thing is to press on the side button so that selection is saved. When you scroll down to the next node what may throw you off like it did for me is that the previous settings and value follow / mirror. You need only click on each button assuming the primary settings are the same and only change the Variable ID and press the side button.

You'll know that action has taken because the system will indicate a *System Busy* message at the lower left side of the screen.

@markv58

You have truly outdone yourself in this latest iteration of the Virtual Node Server! ? ??? The only suggestion I can offer at this time is to increase the variable count to 800 plus. As of this writing I have more than 400+ variables so the drop down option of 400 is my limit.

Thank You ~ Sir!

Buttons.PNG

@Teken I will update to the max variables as soon I find out how many that is. Do you know?

I just logged into home remotely and started the AC and none of my settings were populated in the panels but the settings are correct and the nodes are operating correctly  May be a bug, will look at it when off the road  

Thanks for the kind words. 

10 minutes ago, markv58 said:

@Teken I will update to the max variables as soon I find out how many that is. Do you know?

I just logged into home remotely and started the AC and none of my settings were populated in the panels but the settings are correct and the nodes are operating correctly  May be a bug, will look at it when off the road  

Thanks for the kind words. 

@markv58

The specifications for the controller say 1024 devices / scenes and 1000 programs. Perhaps @Michel Kohanim can offer some insight as to the maximum state / integer variables can be created within the controller. 

I think going up to 800 would be near the limit for most of us . . .

Using your Virtual Node Server the bulk of the programs in place could be reduced so maybe in the overall grand scheme of things it would even out?!? Have a fantastic day and know I'll be toasting you a few cold one's in this incredible mile stone! ? ??

Thanks @markv58, my node display is now correct.  Sorry, I missed your comment about temperaturec only in v1.0.10.  The potential bug you just described may be happening to me.  I think I have it configured correctly but the Time Since Last update just continues to increase with no updates.  Just so I'm clear about the changes you have made, the number used to configure the node in the Polyglot configuration (46 in my case) no longer associates it with variable 46?  To do that I have to make the connection as I did below.  Safe Travels.

@Teken, what did you mean by this: "The key thing is to press on the side button so that selection is saved"

image.png.8b02c6215854ce2f0712870b08f9a0f1.png

image.thumb.png.4a54fac840411caaf03843005e23d49a.png

@tmorse305 The node key no longer associates with any variable, you choose that as you did and it can be any variable.

The since last update should reset to 0 when the pull is done. Check the log for errors. The pull is on the long poll so check that. Restart the node server and see if there are any errors. 

11 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

Thanks @markv58, my node display is now correct.  Sorry, I missed your comment about temperaturec only in v1.0.10.  The potential bug you just described may be happening to me.  I think I have it configured correctly but the Time Since Last update just continues to increase with no updates.  Just so I'm clear about the changes you have made, the number used to configure the node in the Polyglot configuration (46 in my case) no longer associates it with variable 46?  To do that I have to make the connection as I did below.  Safe Travels.

@Teken, what did you mean by this: "The key thing is to press on the side button so that selection is saved"

image.png.8b02c6215854ce2f0712870b08f9a0f1.png

image.thumb.png.4a54fac840411caaf03843005e23d49a.png

@tmorse305

I have appended what I meant up above so others could benefit from my trial and error. Next to each of the drop down is a button that needs to be pressed to save the option. What threw me off was as I scrolled down the AC would display the same values and settings from the previous node. Now that I know its safe to ignore all I did was change the State Variable to reflect each node. 

@markv58

Just some quick feedback with respect to how the system converts the raw to precision values. I'm not sure where the lag is happening but if its possible for the Virtual Node Server to see the new value, wait X seconds, and than convert - maybe double convert?? As I often see the system will miss the conversion and the net result is that raw value than becomes the high limit value as seen here.

When programs were in use I simply inserted a 1~2 second wait prior to the raw to prec conversion and this allowed the two system to breath and complete the operation.

Missed Conversion.PNG

@Teken That happens occasionally. I need to re-arrange the module and I will. The data shouldn’t be affected though, I’ll check. There is a lot going on during an update so some waits may need inserting. Bugs will be bugs and they will die. 

Thanks @Teken, I had no clue that was a button thought it was just a label!  I pressed them and ISY went busy for a moment so it seemed to save.  However when I restarted the AC they were gone.  Curiously it did load the correct value from variable 46 in the current field.

@markv58, I did restart the Node server, no obvious errors in the log that I can see.  Will send it to you.

image.thumb.png.a9789741d1c490b9dd07321012a1f623.png

3 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

Thanks @Teken, I had no clue that was a button thought it was just a label!  I pressed them and ISY went busy for a moment so it seemed to save.  However when I restarted the AC they were gone.  Curiously it did load the correct value from variable 46 in the current field.

@markv58, I did restart the Node server, no obvious errors in the log that I can see.  Will send it to you.

image.thumb.png.a9789741d1c490b9dd07321012a1f623.png

Yes, I thought it was just a label too! But, after I realized it was a button the fact scrolling down the list to see the exact same options I chose in the previous one threw me off! I must have sat there for three minute scratching my head wondering WTF???

It didn't help that the AC was slow to update the values or completing my requested action . . .

Regardless, as noted up above insure both fields for push / pull mirror one another for State Variables and press on each left button to force save that option.

18 hours ago, markv58 said:

Hey, the temperature thing was just a simple part for @madcodger, all 10 lines of code. 

Which is very, very much appreciated, @markv58. Thank you!
Between work, some big home projects underway, and some community commitments I haven't had more than a few minutes of free time for a couple of weeks. I admit to having spent those in a kayak, but am eager to play with this fantastic nodeserver. Your work on it is amazing and I'm glad others have found it useful. I'm sure I'll get daily use from it.

I am working on an update that will rid Virtual of some bugs and hopefully smooth out the operations and populate the nodes properly. Be patient, testing is happening now, I will trigger the update asap.

Archived