Custom Labeling KPL Buttons

justin.cool

Has anyone got any ideas of a reasonable priced method to custom label the KPL buttons. I tried the clear buttons with labels, but my wife absolutely hated it. And I had to admit, it did not look very good, even in the kitchen.

Is there an easy way to label them myself, that doesn't look cheesy? I have 7 KPLs so far, all eight button models. And for the life of me, I cannot remember exactly what all the buttons do.

Thanks!

Justin

I work for and engineering firm and able to grab scraps of Mylar (mat polyester) film. This is what we use to print record drawings. It is similar to an overhead transparency except heavier weight and translucent white as apposed to clear.

I have good success using the clear caps and printing labels on the mylar using the available templates, and placing the labels under the caps. The material diffuses the led light nicely and, I think, looks quite professional.

The down side is the material is not readily avaible cut to letter size, it is mostly available on 36 inch rolls, and can be quite expensive. However you could make an 11x17 pdf of all the labels you need for you house, and any you could conceivably ever need and go to you local blueprint shop and have it printed for a couble of bucks.

• 1 year later...

Not that product but I did label my ICON paddles that way using Avery labels and an Ink Jet printer. Worked fine and provides visitors with switch function that is easy to read and has lasted for years. I put the labels near the center of the paddle where it does not get finger pressure when turning the ICON On or Off.

I have mostly clear KPL buttons as many of my KPLs were purchased when clear buttons were all there were. Never tried using the same technique for KPL buttons. I found printing my own KPL labels on light paper and placing them under the clear buttons worked fine. Custom laser buttons are just too expensive for the dozen or so 8 button KPLs now installed. I tried the pre etched buttons but found the labeling less informative than my own printed labels with the clear buttons.

Yes, I should have noted that I was referring to the clear button covers that you pop off, put the label inside of it and pop it back on.

I have used paper labels and think that the custom etched buttons seems a little absurd on the price side.

The paper is OK, but it looks like the paper that it is. I was thinking this would have a more professional look and might even look good with color laser printing.

Another idea that would really have potential but require a lot of setup is to shoot 35mm transparancy (slide film) and cut those to size. You could have some seriously fancy looking buttons but you could spend hours setting up the photo shoot.

This is a bit ridiculous only because Smarthome charges $8 per key. It seems to me that have to have a machine setup to do these anyway -- Why not $0.99 a button? I would probably get custom buttons for all my KPLs at that price ($42). At $8 per key, they are not getting any of my money. Is anyone paying $8 for a custom key?

I can understand $8 for a single button order as there is all of the handling to get your custom button in the mail to the right person.

If they did $1.00/button plus an $8.00 per order handling charge I would go for it and would not consider that a rip-off. Obviously the cost of production is less than $.50 per unit as a pack of 50 pre-printed ones is $25.00.

I've been using a Brother "P-touch" labeler (PT-2100) with clear laminated labels (3/4" "TZ" tape). Extremely durable and easy to use - yes, even a EE can operate this.

Also comes in handy for labeling cat5/rg6/etc so I don't have to drag out the "rf snooper" to figure out where the runs go.

MikeB - aren't you the one who put me onto this wonderful little device?

I used the clear caps with my own laser-printed labels behind them. When cut carefully so they fit the inside of the cap snugly, they look pretty good (I printed cut lines with the text to make it easier; it took some trial and error to get them sized just right). I have one with a blue diffuser that also looks good. I haven't tried other colors behind the paper yet.

Archived