How to pay for yearly fee for ISY portal

ctviggen1

So let me get this straight... You received an email that was ALLEGEDLY from UDI, and you clicked that link. Is that correct? 
If so, you would have failed a fairly basic test of online security practices in many companies. I know you are a VERY smart guy, so if you can be convinced to do that, it might explain why this is something we train hard to prevent our employees from doing (and those in our household). It's one of the most surefire ways cyber criminals trick very smart people into letting them into their system. No one should EVER use a link emailed to them unless they JUST requested that link (e.g., a password reset). In your case, it was obviously legitimate. Fantastic! But the fact that this is the only easy way to renew a portal license speaks volumes. UDI could fix it with some very simple changes to the portal account page, and by also making it easier for new users to sign up for a portal account, as I recall. Here's to hoping they do that. They're great people with a super-reliable product. But they need to improve this particular thing, which is all I was trying to say, earlier.
Now, flame away, folks. Everybody needs a hobby...

I agree industry best practices is to never click on a hyper link or open an attachment from a unknown sender or ones you know - but not expecting. However, in my case the email alias I use for my account is dedicated and unique and don’t receive unsolicited emails. The renewal email from UDI also includes the unique UUID for the controller which in my environment is near impossible to know outside of UDI.

One can validate the same expiration date via the portal which I did. Checking the sender via CNAME / MX records isn’t very hard along with viewing the full email headers and the hops (IP) taken to reach my final destination. All of this can be validated by any of the dozens of services that can confirm a legitimate sender / service provider.

All standard fair in my line of work.

Regardless, if in doubt one should always request a confirmation through formal public channels using resource links they have high confidence in.

Nothing to see here . . . No nefarious acts lurking in wait. Just a friendly reminder of a subscription service which I only have 3.

Meaning two subscriptions I have are UDI related. The remaining one is for a security service which comes due every three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16 hours ago, madcodger said:

No, I cannot. I don't currently HAVE a problem paying for it, because I spent the time to figure it out a few months back. What I'm trying to say is that when one must do that, it's not easy to do. Others have noted the same.

Here are some suggestions, since some of the forum members noting a need for additional specificity in suggestions don't seem to be able to follow things without a schematic, so here goes:

On the "My Account" page, how about showing the date when a person's subscription expires? I just checked my account page, and that information doesn't appear there.

On the same page, how about a simple button that says, "Renew your ISY Portal Account", and then a link to entering the payment info, right there?

I find it fascinating that such otherwise bright people on the forum can't figure out that what I had posted earlier would have been sufficient for almost any company to take five minutes and say, "Hey, we probably COULD make it easier for people to give us their money."  But it's probably a lot easier to just call the person a complainer, and go back to your screen. Anyway, I hope those suggestions help. I'll try not to make the mistake of suggesting something I thought would be helpful to UDI, again. And I will certainly not make the mistake of doing so on the forum.

I love how the person that cried about someone calling them out is the very person that tries to be smart and passive aggressive while throwing shade at everyone else.

Many of the otherwise smart people on this forum actually read manuals and such which is part of how they learn things. Besides that everyone's brain works differently in how they process information. This is why some things appear easy to some while difficult to others. 

What udi had in mind when designing the portal may be completely different than what the end user has it for and use. 

In seeing that the portal allows you to use 1 account to handle a multitude of Isy's, I can see why they didn't use the account page itself for that information and put it with the Isy you choose directly. While most users may have 1 isy (which would make it easy for them on the account page)there are many with 2 or 3. That's not taking into account installers who could possibly have many more. 

By the way, under the license, it does give you the exact information that you said it should ask for. 

Screenshot_20200611-091547_Gallery.jpg

I love how the person that cried about someone calling them out is the very person that tries to be smart and passive aggressive while throwing shade at everyone else.
Many of the otherwise smart people on this forum actually read manuals and such which is part of how they learn things. Besides that everyone's brain works differently in how they process information. This is why some things appear easy to some while difficult to others. 
What udi had in mind when designing the portal may be completely different than what the end user has it for and use. 
In seeing that the portal allows you to use 1 account to handle a multitude of Isy's, I can see why they didn't use the account page itself for that information and put it with the Isy you choose directly. While most users may have 1 isy (which would make it easy for them on the account page)there are many with 2 or 3. That's not taking into account installers who could possibly have many more. 
By the way, under the license, it does give you the exact information that you said it should ask for. 
Screenshot_20200611-091547_Gallery.thumb.jpg.edf703e15b2257d130d302257224b46d.jpg

Yes, that was the portal page I intended to share with my last reply - thanks! All of the relevant information is there. I should quickly note within the ISY Series Controller (for some) selecting portal tab also displays various personal details about that controller.

I’ve never been able to get it to work on my two systems but know others have. It has no material impact on what the group is discussing here but is related.

Hello everyone,

1. Clicking on the link from the email will ASK YOU TO LOGIN to ISY Portal. It's not a direct payment method
2. License information is available from the Tools menu

Perhaps we should put the expiration date on the front page of the portal but most don't even login to the ISY Portal after it's setup. So, we will need to send the email reminder regardless. Perhaps Tools is not the right place. Perhaps we should have an Account menu.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hello everyone,
1. Clicking on the link from the email will ASK YOU TO LOGIN to ISY Portal. It's not a direct payment method
2. License information is available from the Tools menu
Perhaps we should put the expiration date on the front page of the portal but most don't even login to the ISY Portal after it's setup. So, we will need to send the email reminder regardless. Perhaps Tools is not the right place. Perhaps we should have an Account menu.
With kind regards,
Michel
Put a link to the wiki on the top of every forum page inside the huge blank UDI logo banner.

In the wiki create a list with a few handy quick links including one to pay bills on the top of the entrance page.

Linking people to a login page does not solve the security problem. Years back, I received one like that from my bank. Just as I was about to commit my credentials with the final click I noticed the corner logo icture aspect ratio was odd. Checking the url links I noticed wrong domain names.

Linking people to a login page only makes it worse and is the exact technique credential thieves use.

Sent using Tapatalk

Since the ISY Series Controller has the ability to present pop up messages. Wouldn’t it make sense to have that system provide the required links and resources.

If it can’t be done in the short term due to limited resources and because the Polyisy is going to be the default controller. Add it to the feature list for that new system down the road!

I didn’t know paying a bill would turn out to be such a sh^t fest for some?!?

I didn’t know paying a bill would turn out to be such a sh^t fest for some?!?

I think it stemmed from a member here that can’t help but to insert himself in a way that is unwanted by some, perhaps many. A suggestion was made that many can see, but the member (“appendage” or similar as he’s been referred to as previously) couldn’t envision it and he got upset since he couldn’t see it. This appendage is ornery and I frankly think does a disservice to UDI and its forum. In his defense though it seems he often says he’s not trying to be ornery. I guess he just can’t stop inserting himself that way.

Not wanting to either be or risk becoming the person @TrojanHorse described (maybe I am, for all I know), I think the easiest path is to just not speak up, even when you have what you believe is a helpful suggestion. I don't think that's ultimately best for UDI (a company I think many of us do care about and want to see succeed) but at some point, it's just not worth it, to get pulled into this type of discussion. So, the number of contributors just dwindles and dwindles. That doesn't seem good for UDI, but it seems to me that's what is happening.

Not wanting to contribute to ill will here, I'm happy to just stand down. Best of luck to all. PM me if I can ever be of service. Personally, I'll lurk more, contribute less. Be well...

6 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

I think it stemmed from a member here that can’t help but to insert himself in a way that is unwanted by some, perhaps many. A suggestion was made that many can see, but the member (“appendage” or similar as he’s been referred to as previously) couldn’t envision it and he got upset since he couldn’t see it. This appendage is ornery and I frankly think does a disservice to UDI and its forum. In his defense though it seems he often says he’s not trying to be ornery. I guess he just can’t stop inserting himself that way.

Let's be nice to each other......  Your forum name can be considered as provocative as what others write.

Not wanting to either be or risk becoming the person @TrojanHorse described (maybe I am, for all I know), I think the easiest path is to just not speak up, even when you have what you believe is a helpful suggestion. I don't think that's ultimately best for UDI (a company I think many of us do care about and want to see succeed) but at some point, it's just not worth it, to get pulled into this type of discussion. So, the number of contributors just dwindles and dwindles. That doesn't seem good for UDI, but it seems to me that's what is happening.
Not wanting to contribute to ill will here, I'm happy to just stand down. Best of luck to all. PM me if I can ever be of service. Personally, I'll lurk more, contribute less. Be well...

Differing opinions in any discussion is what brings insight to all. Finding a balance of offering facts vs personal views is key for many. Ultimately, the voice of one bolsters the voice of many.

Losing one voice diminishes the whole.

1 hour ago, Teken said:

Differing opinions in any discussion is what brings insight to all. Finding a balance of offering facts vs personal views is key for many. Ultimately, the voice of one bolsters the voice of many.

Losing one voice diminishes the whole. emoji869.pngemoji110.png

I completely agree. I miss the days of our debates (since you want to agree with me all the time now) when we could disagree without taking it personal and expand how we both see things

I completely agree. I miss the days of our debates (since you want to agree with me all the time now) when we could disagree without taking it personal and expand how we both see things

True, but I do have to take issue with respect to our agreement with one another. You believe I agree with you when in reality I’m just always right! I simply can’t argue with myself if you’re just a mini-me!!

13 minutes ago, Teken said:

True, but I do have to take issue with respect to our agreement with one another. emoji1785.png You believe I agree with you when in reality I’m just always right! emoji1787.png I simply can’t argue with myself if you’re just a mini-me!! emoji869.pngemoji851.png

unnamed.jpg

On that note I just received my notice for renewal of my ISY Portal subscription.

All links were very obvious they were from my account with clear URL domain names.

On a link I was transferred to my ISY portal login,  where the option to renew was easy, clear and safe as URLs were easily identified. Links were verified each step of the way before entering any  credentials.

The pulldown options were easy to select from the $500 or $750 amounts.
JUST KIDDING ABOUT THIS LAST PARAGRAPH!!! :):)

Sent using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Teken said:

True, but I do have to take issue with respect to our agreement with one another. You believe I agree with you when in reality I’m just always right! I simply can’t argue with myself if you’re just a mini-me!!

I thought I was wrong once but it was just an error.

Sent using Tapatalk

As the original poster, the program I used for checking came up with a notification saying the yearly fee needed paying.  So, I tried to pay it but could not figure out how. That's why I posted.

Turns out that my payment is due next year...not this year.  My mistake.

But for those of us who would come to the site trying to pay, it's not easy to find.  Even though I have a BSEE and MSEE, I don't get on this site enough -- only for infrequent additions/revisions to my network or paying the yearly fee (if not done by email) -- to know where things are. I can barely manipulate things for Alexa, and my list of things I want to do around my house is so long, becoming familiar with the ISY portal (other than for what I need to do) is waaaayyy down my list. 

It's all good, though.  I assume I'll get an email next year.  If I don't, maybe I'll search and find this thread.

48 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

As the original poster, the program I used for checking came up with a notification saying the yearly fee needed paying.  So, I tried to pay it but could not figure out how. That's why I posted.

Turns out that my payment is due next year...not this year.  My mistake.

But for those of us who would come to the site trying to pay, it's not easy to find.  Even though I have a BSEE and MSEE, I don't get on this site enough -- only for infrequent additions/revisions to my network or paying the yearly fee (if not done by email) -- to know where things are. I can barely manipulate things for Alexa, and my list of things I want to do around my house is so long, becoming familiar with the ISY portal (other than for what I need to do) is waaaayyy down my list. 

It's all good, though.  I assume I'll get an email next year.  If I don't, maybe I'll search and find this thread.

After clicking on the link sent to me by UDI in email, I went to my ISY Portal. A popup with payment options was automatic. I think somebody was secretly listening here. :)

Let's be nice to each other......  Your forum name can be considered as provocative as what others write.

I am being nice. I could’ve referred by name(s). I’m one of the nicest guys around. That doesn’t mean I won’t speak up when I see others that aren’t nice which I will always do in person or online. And if people are upset by that or Greek Mythology or whatever then that’s their problem. Sorry, not sorry.

1 hour ago, TrojanHorse said:

I am being nice. I could’ve referred by name(s). I’m one of the nicest guys around. That doesn’t mean I won’t speak up when I see others that aren’t nice which I will always do in person or online. And if people are upset by that or Greek Mythology or whatever then that’s their problem. Sorry, not sorry.

I'm the same way. I'm actually alot more blunt in person than online. At least when I'm typing I can clean up a few times what first came to mind. 

I'm the same way. I'm actually alot more blunt in person than online. At least when I'm typing I can clean up a few times what first came to mind. 

Such as editing / adding to a post to only add a snarky comment... (on record)

Sounds like you’re saying you’re a real charmer in person. Would love to meet you someday. Will leave loved ones at home, lest they succumb to the charm!

Better yet, let’s be better. I’ll start, but I won’t stop calling out people that blow out candles to make theirs look brighter.

6 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

Such as editing / adding to a post to only add a snarky comment... (on record)

Sounds like you’re saying you’re a real charmer in person. Would love to meet you someday. Will leave loved ones at home, lest they succumb to the charm!

Better yet, let’s be better. I’ll start, but I won’t stop calling out people that blow out candles to make theirs look brighter.

While I know you're trying to be smart, you'd be surprised to find how many people actually take to blunt people.

You're more then welcome to call me out. I'm not sensitive like some people. If I don't agree with something then I don't agree. I have no problems voicing my opinion and will continue to do so. 

As I've stated many times before, I want to hear other sides. While, I may come across very strong in staying my cases, its not that I'm trying to drown out a person's thoughts. I'm simply sharing my own. 

Just like you feel it's your duty to jump in and defend those you feel are being taken advantage of, I feel the same when I see incessant crying and complaining about things but an unwillingness to do something to help fix what one thinks is broken. 

Even in looking at this post. While some thought I was trying to be an A (which I wasn't)...in giving suggestions to go along with the complaints, Michel was able to take note of what people wanted and hopefully his response means UDI will make improvements. 

Archived