Need some explanation

jmsikora

I couldn't find my polisy after making some changes to the network. It turned out it was there but had a strange set of symptoms that I'd like some help on.

If I entered the url to try to talk to the policy it wasn't visible. I found the address but it wouldn't answer a ping. However, as it turns out this was the address on the wireless gateway. I found the address of the ethernet interface and it does communicate on that address if I use the actual address.

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, jmsikora said:

Sorry, wasn't explicit enough. Why would you not see the device when you use the address //polisy. The actual IP address works fine.

My opinion is: Most consumer grade routers don't support the feature. 

31 minutes ago, jmsikora said:

Sorry, wasn't explicit enough. Why would you not see the device when you use the address //polisy. The actual IP address works fine.

You would require a personal Dynamic Name Server that understands what '//polisy' is.  Most people never bother to build or use one.
Ethernet mostly goes by IP addresses. A DNS converts human style text names to IP addresses.

11 minutes ago, larryllix said:

You would require a personal Dynamic Name Server that understands what '//polisy' is.  Most people never bother to build or use one.
Ethernet mostly goes by IP addresses. A DNS converts human style text names to IP addresses.

Or the Polisy would have to be setup for mDNS.

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Goose66,

Yes, we will have it. Just waiting for more support in other operating systems/browsers and especially Windows. Having mDNS makes finding Polisy extremely easy.

With kind regards,
Michel

I hear you. The only reason I have it in Windows 10 and it works so seamlessly with RPi is because I have iTunes installed (and, thus, Bonjour).

@Michel Kohanim The browser itself doesn't provide mDNS support (I use Chrome), but I can put mDNS addresses in the browser address bar and they are resolved. E.g., I can put "https://raspberrypi.local:3000/" in the address bar to get to my local Polyglot instance. This support is coming from Bonjour installed on my Windows 10 machine as part of iTunes.

From what I can tell, the latest Raspbian build (Buster) comes with all of the mDNS components (AVAHI) but the daemon does not run automatically. However, if you install the Python AVAHI library (zeroconf), it also configures Raspian to run the daemon. Because I loaded zeroconf for the Bond Bridge Nodeserver on my Polyglot RPi, and because I have iTunes on my Windows 10 machine, this all works. Ping works as well.

Archived