Release 5.2.0 (RC3) - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

On 8/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, blueman2 said:

It is a bit confusing, yes.  Two ways to verify:

1) Look at the rear of your ISY.  Is there a blue LED to the right of Port A?  If there is, you have 300.  If not, and you have a z-wave board installed, then it is Series 500

2) Use Admin Console.  Click on "Z-Wave | Z-Wave Version".  Or depending on your current ISY software, it might be "Z-Wave | Advanced | Z-Wave Firmware Version"  If it says 6.81.00, you have a Series 500 board.  If it says 4.55 or lower, you have Series 300 board.  The "Z-Wave: 21100" you refer to has nothing to do with the board, but rather is the ISY z-wave software module product number.  

May I respectfully suggest, and request, that for future upgrades where information like this might be useful to the end user, that UDI post this type of information in the upgrade instructions. Thanks to @blueman2 for doing so.

@cactus does have some good points about having to wade through pages and pages of comments to find information. A few people are eagerly following a thread, so for them it's not a big deal. But the casual user doesn't have the time for that, and frankly shouldn't be required to do so.

As I've said before, UDI is a great company of engineers and coders, and offers great customer support. But user interface, in many different forms, is not its specialty. I would like to respectfully suggest that additional attention to this area would serve the company well. It's an aspect of marketing, but that's not what most people think of when they hear that term. You don't have to sell very hard when your customers do it for you. Many of UDI's customers gladly promote the company's products because of their reliability. Now, think about how much more that might happen if they were also easier to use (including periodic upgrades).

And, back on topic, thanks to UDI for the upgrade. I'm going to go see which board I have (now that I know how to do so) to see if I can use it.

I have also upgraded from the 300 to 500 series module and upgraded from v5.1 to v5.2 - everything went extremely well with the 300 to 500 upgrade and the v5.2 update, except 1 z-wave device is not working at all - any suggestions (link below)?

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/30585-aeotec-gen-5-siren-not-working-after-z-wave-module-upgrade-to-500-series/

Hello everyone,

I have an ISY994i PRO the firmware and UI is v.5.0.16B, I also have a Polisy runing V:2.2.9-

I am contemplating upgrading my ISY software to V.5.2.0. I purchased my ISY994i ZW in June of 2016. I find that I don't use any z-wave devices. Do I need to have the z-wave board to upgrade to V.5.2? 

If i want to remove it before updating my software, do I just kill power to the ISY and remove the current chip?

-   side note: I just read that the series 700 chip is being released. If I do decide to later install the 700 series chip will the current software recognize it?   https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-automation/z-wave-700-series.html, the specs area pretty cool.

Robert Page

1 hour ago, pagerr said:

the specs area pretty cool

Yes they are...... Great for those starting Zwave from scratch, a bit frustrating for those already with many Zwave devices. Should I wait for 900 ??

23 minutes ago, asbril said:

Yes they are...... Great for those starting Zwave from scratch, a bit frustrating for those already with many Zwave devices. Should I wait for 900 ??

I wouldn't be frustrated. With a house full of zwave, there really isn't a benefit after 500 since most of 700 addresses those with poor mesh networks.

The additional battery life applies to battery operated devices which would still apply should you add any.

1 minute ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I wouldn't be frustrated. With a house full of zwave, there really isn't a benefit after 500 since most of 700 addresses those with poor mesh networks.

The additional battery life applies to battery operated devices which would still apply should you add any.

I think that you are right, except maybe for the speed. You have pointed out in past comments that Insteon devices  react faster to each other. And indeed in some instances it can take a couple of seconds for a light to react to a sensor. Maybe that would improve with 700.

9 minutes ago, asbril said:

I think that you are right, except maybe for the speed. You have pointed out in past comments that Insteon devices  react faster to each other. And indeed in some instances it can take a couple of seconds for a light to react to a sensor. Maybe that would improve with 700.

That's true. It will help to a certain degree. Insteon devices react faster because the signal is processed locally vs through a controller. As long as a controller is the middle man, speed will always be an issue. 

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like they're making a car that goes 150 now go 250mph. However, there's still a speed bump (controller) in the road. 

That's true. It will help to a certain degree. Insteon devices react faster because the signal is processed locally vs through a controller. As long as a controller is the middle man, speed will always be an issue. 
I hope I'm wrong but I feel like they're making a car that goes 150 now go 250mph. However, there's still a speed bump (controller) in the road. 

This is why I continue to gamble that SH and Insteon remains. Scenes should be in zwave protocol. SH introduced (to me) them with X10 devices by allowing a device to have multiple addresses many years ago.

11 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

This is why I continue to gamble that SH and Insteon remains. Scenes should be in zwave protocol. SH introduced (to me) them with X10 devices by allowing a device to have multiple addresses many years ago.

I'm with you on that one. That's a large part of why I can't fully invest in zwave outside of specific use cases

On 8/28/2020 at 4:48 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

From my experience, companies that allow both have different methods for including a device as S2 and non S2. I'd ask if they have separate procedures for what you're trying to do. 

I'm finding more and more products that expect including a new device to be "magic" and have virtually no way to configure it on the device itself. Both these light bulbs and a set of z-wave outlets I have automatically include/exclude when you first turn them on (or plug them in in the case of the outlets). I have yet to see any Z-Wave lightbulb that does more than respond to an existing inclusion when first turned on, or with three (or some other number) of power cycles of the bulb.

However, using the Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller as an example, you can include a device in non-secure mode simply by cancelling the window that asks for which security keys to use. I would expect the ISY to do something similar. For example, if I disable secure inclusion, I would expect the ISY to include the device as an insecure device -- even if it reports that it supports security. Or at the very least to prompt me and let me make the decision at the time of inclusion.

I put in a ticket but never got an answer to this question (and I don't see it here): if I upgrade my ISY with my series 300 Z-Wave module installed to 5.2.0, do I just lose Z-wave functionality or does my ISY explode and take out a corner of my house (or some third thing)?

Based on some of the posts here, may I offer several suggestions?

- In the Admin Console's About Page, provide the software and firmware version of the ISY, along with the hardware information about the board installed and memory size of ISY.

- In the Wiki page, provide information about any collateral impact a board upgrade may have on existing devices ISY has collected information on. Is the upgrade seamless after a board swap?

2 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

Where in the wiki?

Not at a computer to look it up this morning.  I did a search on 300 to 500 series update or upgrade.  It is short but it says to do a zwave restore and that makes all good.

1 hour ago, Goose66 said:

I put in a ticket but never got an answer to this question (and I don't see it here): if I upgrade my ISY with my series 300 Z-Wave module installed to 5.2.0, do I just lose Z-wave functionality or does my ISY explode and take out a corner of my house (or some third thing)?

I upgraded to 5.2.0 with an old Z-Wave module and everything is fine.  I have zero Z-Wave modules, so, YMMV.

So after some initial issues with my upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.1.0, I've updated to a 500 zwave board and upgrade to 5.2.0.. it's all working great and i'm running Polyglot on a RPi4 with 8 installed node servers!  The only issue I have is with z-wave..

I only have 2 z-wave devices; two Schlage BE469NX locks (this is the older model as there is a newer zwave plus model) and I'm unable to add them to the ISY...

What I've done so far:

• Factory reset the locks
  • Factory reset z-wave dongle (it's running 6.81.0)
  • Tried to add the locks - no luck, even held the ISY within 5 inches of the lock!
  • Added a Aeotec AEZW189 Z-wave Plus Range Extender 7 - still unable to add the locks
  • Held the ISY on it's side, up-side-down - you name it.. the lock won't add...
  • Played with the numerous Z-Wave options - no luck

This is what I do for my attempt to add the lock

1. On the ISY select  "Add a Z-Wave device"  - this will prompt the Device Discovery pop-up saying it's listening for Z-Wave devices..
  2. On the lock: Deadbolt is extended, press "Schlage" button, enter 6 digit programming code + "0"

Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, oper8 said:

Is there a way to confirm the model of my z-wave upgrade card without opening the box ? I purchased the card from your Canadian distributor, Aartech, on Nov 2018. Item: Universal Devices ISY994ZW+UP ZWave Plus Upgrade Module for ISY994 Series, part number ISY994ZWPLUSUP. Is this a 500 series or a 300  series card ? I'm currently running 5.0.16C and the z-wave firmware version is 6.81.00. All works perfectly fine but I would like to expand my z-wave network and take advantage of the new features in the new 5.2.0 RC3 f/w. Is it the right time to upgrade or I must wait ? 

See very first post at the top of this page

13 minutes ago, AStarink said:

So after some initial issues with my upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.1.0, I've updated to a 500 zwave board and upgrade to 5.2.0.. it's all working great and i'm running Polyglot on a RPi4 with 8 installed node servers!  The only issue I have is with z-wave..

I only have 2 z-wave devices; two Schlage BE469NX locks (this is the older model as there is a newer zwave plus model) and I'm unable to add them to the ISY...

What I've done so far:

• Factory reset the locks
  • Factory reset z-wave dongle (it's running 6.81.0)
  • Tried to add the locks - no luck, even held the ISY within 5 inches of the lock!
  • Added a Aeotec AEZW189 Z-wave Plus Range Extender 7 - still unable to add the locks
  • Held the ISY on it's side, up-side-down - you name it.. the lock won't add...
  • Played with the numerous Z-Wave options - no luck

This is what I do for my attempt to add the lock

1. On the ISY select  "Add a Z-Wave device"  - this will prompt the Device Discovery pop-up saying it's listening for Z-Wave devices..
  2. On the lock: Deadbolt is extended, press "Schlage" button, enter 6 digit programming code + "0"

Any thoughts?

You must exclude first as with all zwave devices

5 hours ago, matapan said:

Based on some of the posts here, may I offer several suggestions?

- In the Wiki page, provide information about any collateral impact a board upgrade may have on existing devices ISY has collected information on. Is the upgrade seamless after a board swap?

Wiki!!!! Who reads that? ?

11 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You must exclude first as with all zwave devices

I recall that from when I initially set them up years ago, but I don't see anything like that in 5.2.0? I've included screen shots to show all my available options...

1192657897_ScreenShot2020-09-02at12_14_05PM.png.8df5765aae501347462c44f7720b6bcf.png

1361649843_ScreenShot2020-09-02at12_13_36PM.png.d2fa0f89a951aa9b83ba1153c17f2ae4.png

1223256244_ScreenShot2020-09-02at12_12_19PM.png.8a8c851cff6798702d270bde2f9d0db2.png

Archived