Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

I cannot find the Install section or the first post that supposedly has the link for Firmware 5.3.0.  I guess I'm a little slow, but I've been looking for over an hour and cannot find this link.  Can anyone post a picture or something to help me out.

1 minute ago, ssherwood said:

I cannot find the Install section or the first post that supposedly has the link for Firmware 5.3.0.  I guess I'm a little slow, but I've been looking for over an hour and cannot find this link.  Can anyone post a picture or something to help me out.

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 12.22.38 PM.png

1 minute ago, ssherwood said:

I really hate being this dumb.  I clicked on the link above "ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave Support" and it took me right back to the post.  I cannot find a link that is a download of the Firmware.

Try to right click on the link and do a save as

7 minutes ago, ssherwood said:

I have purchased the z-wave plus add-on board for my ISY-994i.  I've inserted the board; installed Firmware v5.3.0 and restarted the admin-console.

I do not see any z-wave menu items.  

What steps have I missed.

Did you plug it into the bottom row and not the top?

Also you need to purchase the Z-wave module.  (Scroll down a little further.)  its $1.00, Help > Purchase Modules.

Edited by MrBill

11 minutes ago, ssherwood said:

I clicked on Help/Purchase Modules, but that took me to https://www.universal-devices.com/store/  There was no $1.00 purchase for the module.  What it showed was the addon board (and other things) for $70.  I already bought and paid for that.  And, yes I put it in the bottom row. 

Clciking Purchase modules should take you to an URL with www.universal-devices.com/my-account/?uuid=uuid: etc.  Once there however it lands on "General" and you need to click "My Products"

image.png.63cd617414fe535c2845f69f53167ff2.png

Just to make sure, its the admin console Help > Purchase Modules:

image.png.319cce508d8bcd1efdc04b6dab7079dc.png

EDIT TO ADD:  I was already logged in to the UDI site today because I used the support portal (tickets) just a little bit ago.   As I recall tho, the Purchas modules may not work right if you are not logged into your account on the website.  Log into universal-devices.com then execute the admin console link to purchase modules.

Edited by MrBill

I installed 5.3.0 several weeks ago without issue and everything appeared to continue operating correctly EXCEPT that I could not make changes to any Insteon device (ie; Using the "Write Changes" button within a device screen did nothing. Activating, Deactivating and Reactivating Automatic Writes to Devices popped up the screen I used to see warning me not to make changes to any device because writes were being performed... progress on the screen led me to believe writes to devices actually WERE being performed, but when I actually checked - by testing a device as well as querying it via the ISY and software, those changes were not made.).

Bottom line is that I've tried all the obvious measures I could think of - ranging from power cycling the system, confirming the ISY was communicating with the PLM, restoring from a backup, restoring an individual device...) and NOTHING I've tried results in any change I make actually being written to the device in question. More specifically, the "test" I am using is to change the ramp rate on 3 different Dual Band SwitchLink Dimmers (v4.5). In each case, if I click on another device (AFTER writing the change) and then click back on it, the old ramp rate appears instead of the newly changed ramp rate. Querying the device doesn't change anything.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, AND WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIX IT? This has really got me stumped! I know the PLM and comm to it from the ISY are good because all my programs run without issue (and these go beyond mere links across devices, so I know they are controlled from the ISY).

The write changes button isn't the answer anymore and the answer is not intuitive!! 

image.png.5220e57816d2fb5b562a2e54952263b0.png

Set the dropdown on the RIGHT, then Press the button to the LEFT of the dropdown.  In other words the buttons shown here are On, Beep, On Level, Ramp Rate, and Backlight.  Yes those are buttons not just labels and Yes they act as the Set button for each parameter.

Additionally there is a bug with Backlight.  The dropdown starts at zero, that does not represet the current value set in the module.  If we set this device to say 50%, the change will write to the device correctly when we press "Backlight"  Now we move to another device this dropdown will lie and say it's 50%... It's NOT... it's whatever was last saved in the device. etc... Finally when the admin console is restarted the backlight will again show 0%, but that's not whats stored in the device.  In other words you can accurately send values to the device using the backlight drodown and button, but they value displayed by the dropdown is never accurate unless you just now set the value.

I really wish UDI would make this process more intuitive, and fix the backlight GUI bug, this is a repetitively explained in the forum.

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1

YOU ARE MY HERO (and I feel like an idiot for not finding this explanation in the forums as I really did search.... perhaps I needed to use different terminology) ?

I've been so ingrained (from years of using the "old" software) to thinking those are merely labels. It NEVER occurred to me they were actually buttons. Of course, there is still that pesky "WRITE CHANGES" button that doesn't work, and the RESTORE DEVICE option (when you right click a device in the tree listing) that doesn't work... BUT I'm super thankful for your prompt response and explanation because now I can at least make needed changes without dropping back to a 4.x version. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Chuck K said:

YOU ARE MY HERO (and I feel like an idiot for not finding this explanation in the forums as I really did search.... perhaps I needed to use different terminology) ?

I've been so ingrained (from years of using the "old" software) to thinking those are merely labels. It NEVER occurred to me they were actually buttons. Of course, there is still that pesky "WRITE CHANGES" button that doesn't work, and the RESTORE DEVICE option (when you right click a device in the tree listing) that doesn't work... BUT I'm super thankful for your prompt response and explanation because now I can at least make needed changes without dropping back to a 4.x version. Thanks again!

Restore Device does work, or at least in should.  How were you using it?

Typically restore device is used after factory resetting a device to put the links back into the switch that the ISY thinks should be in the switch.

Yes the GUI really needs some UX help.  Fancy talk for they need to remove things that aren't used.  And personally I'd use labels for each setting to the LEFT and move the SET button to the RIGHT side of the dropdown and call it SET or SAVE.

Edited by MrBill

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, DarkCanuck said:

What is the best way to know which firmware I need? I am using my ISY 994i with Z-wave devices (no Insteon).

-  ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave support

-  ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

-  ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

• Like 2