Door/Window sensor not sending signal

ISY Newbie

(I think) I've successfully linked a door-window sensor, as three new ***-open, ***-closed, ***-heartbeat links have been created.

But when I open or close the sensor, it's not sending any signal.

The only entry in the event log about this sensor is " Date/time : [2D DA 57 1  ] Link    0 : 0FF8 [E20146C538010001] Writing [E20146C538010001]"

What's going on?

32 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@ISY Newbie,

Do you get events from any other devices? If so, and if you have linked them properly (you don't see any 1011 icons), it's probably signal (RF) related.

With kind regards,
Miichel

I get events from other devices just fine.

I do have the green 10101 icon in front of this sensor, but for whatever reason, every sensor has a green 10101 icon in front of it that's not going away.

19 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Do both match

Yes. I've upgraded to 4.9 and both UI and Firmware say 4.9

The green 1011 icons in front of battery-operated sensors are not going away. I haven't had them linger for this long before. 

Should it have something to do with Isy not getting signals from the new door/window sensor?

36 minutes ago, Brian H said:

The Green 10101 indicates that there are changes that need to be written to the device.

Battery operated devices have to be woken up by holding the set button until the devices LED flashes. Then you pick write updates to the device.

That I understand. But it's strange that every single battery-operated sensor needs to be written to.

Some of the sensors are woken up already, judging from the fact that programs to be triggered by them are executed.

29 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

That I understand. But it's strange that every single battery-operated sensor needs to be written to.

Some of the sensors are woken up already, judging from the fact that programs to be triggered by them are executed.

I would just follow the advice to see if that works. If it doesn't you can start doing other troubleshooting

5 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I would just follow the advice to see if that works. If it doesn't you can start doing other troubleshooting

I did, but it didn't fix the problem. The door/window sensor still doesn't seem to communicate with Isy.  The green 1011 icon still appears in front of the sensor.

BTW, the green light in the middle of the sensor blinks whenever I open or close the door.

1 minute ago, ISY Newbie said:

I did, but it didn't fix the problem. The door/window sensor still doesn't seem to communicate with Isy.  The green 1011 icon still appears in front of the sensor.

BTW, the green light in the middle of the sensor blinks whenever I open or close the door.

It's supposed to blink. I would move it closer to the ish and do it. If it works then, it's probably communication in that area

34 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It's supposed to blink. I would move it closer to the ish and do it. If it works then, it's probably communication in that area

Yes, that solved it! Thanks so much!

A couple of questions.

1. What about all the other sensors that have the green 1011 icon in front of them? Do I have to repeat the same procedure, although they don't exhibit any problem?

2. When I close the door, the "open" variable changes to "off", but the "closed" variable remains blank. What's the purpose of the "closed" variable then?

3 hours ago, ISY Newbie said:

Yes, that solved it! Thanks so much!

A couple of questions.

1. What about all the other sensors that have the green 1011 icon in front of them? Do I have to repeat the same procedure, although they don't exhibit any problem?

2. When I close the door, the "open" variable changes to "off", but the "closed" variable remains blank. What's the purpose of the "closed" variable then?

1011 indicates there is binary code to be written to the device waiting to be completed.

10 hours ago, larryllix said:

1011 indicates there is binary code to be written to the device waiting to be completed.

If the way to waken up battery-operated sensors is to press the set button, does that mean I have to go around the house and press the set button for all of the sensors?

4 hours ago, ISY Newbie said:

If the way to waken up battery-operated sensors is to press the set button, does that mean I have to go around the house and press the set button for all of the sensors?

Yes. Battery Insteon devices must be in linking mode to write to them, usually only one at a time.

23 hours ago, larryllix said:

Yes. Battery Insteon devices must be in linking mode to write to them, usually only one at a time.

I have a few outdoors sensors that I can only access with a ladder. This will have to be put off until spring.

But why do these sensors need to be written to all of a sudden? I've had the Isy for a few years, but never had something like this - all battery-operated sensors having a green 1011 icon in front of them - before. What could have triggered this? I'd like to avoid it in the future if possible. I don't mind getting a ladder and putting one or two sensors in the linking mode, but not all of them.

5 hours ago, ISY Newbie said:

I have a few outdoors sensors that I can only access with a ladder.

I believe some sensors can be written to when they wake to report status (such as motion, not sure about door/window).  If you search the forum you can find some examples of programs that write any updates when a status change is detected.

Edit: this may only be available on ISY Pro or V5 firmware, not sure.

This can happened because you have ISY code that modifies Insteon scenes involving those battery operated devices perhaps. ISY tries to write to the devices and cannot complete it. You need to have the battery powered device write option disabled (button at top of admin console).

ISY v5.3.2 is supposed to correct some of this but I have not tested this action yet.

ISY will eventually give up, once you turn off the battery writes option and the 1011 flags will turn to brown or dark green. Some devices have an open window for a few seconds after reporting an event, as per @gzaharabove.

Archived