Replaced network, replaced ISY, lots of issues

DIYguy

Like the old Visa commercial where the family upgrades/changes one thing and it ends up cascading into lots of changes I'm running into a similar situation.

Issues with Xfinity and tried to change my service. During this process I'm told my gateway is way old and they will send me the latest at no charge. OK. Received latest gateway and while changing gateways decided to upgrade my router and switches. Use to use several Cisco routers to create a mesh WiFi network and have since replace with EERO. Home is mainly hardwired so have multiple switches. Removed the four port router and eight port switch from the gateway and replaced with one six-teen port switch. Discovered the new gateway has a slightly different IP address as in 192.168.#.#. Hardwired nodes are all static IP so had to update every IP to get everything talking to the network again. Same with all the other nodes, (42) total. One of the last devices to get attention is the ISY994i. Opps. Static IP and no longer accessible. In hind site, note to anyone looking at updating their network with an ISY attached, make sure your address is dynamic before making the change. Could have saved myself lots of $$ and grief. Tried all the option including reset to factory default and nothing worked, three sold blue lights and a flashing red error. Ended up ordering a new ISY and upgraded to the ISY 994iZW+. Received the 994i ZW+/IR Pro for same price. OK. System will not see the ISY but my network can. Manually entered the MAC and IP and factory reboot of PLM and I was able to download the JNLP file from the ISY. This worked the first time and I was able to access the control Panel.  Problem is when opening the control panel I get large quantities of error screens, "Socket Open Failed java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundException: ....." Now the JNLP file will NOT open the control panel but I can use ISY Launcher and go through multiple steps and open the control panel. Made it this far. Found my latest backup and did a restore, now show (39) unique module address but can not communicate with any of them. PLM Status shows connected, but can not query any of the modules. Essentialy have lots of text to look at but nothing at all works. Tried to do a test and delete a module and then re-add it to the system but I can not delete anything either.

Have an Amazon Echo/Show/Dot in every room tied to all the other modules, Ring cameras, Insteon Hub and without the ISY, not much working.

I went into my records and my PLM 2413S is one week shy of four years old so I just ordered another one even thou status says OK, light is solid green. Wondering if the PLM is too old to communicate correctly with a new ISY with the extra features?

Running out of ideas why I'm getting all the error messages and can't communicate. Any help?

This would be a good time to affirm the importance of reserving DHCP IP address for the vast majority of network hardware. Any global hardware changes as seen by you would have eased the pain in terms of access and reconfiguration.

Almost every enterprise site follows this best practice as it allows changes to at a global level to cascade without taking down hardware.

Right now you have too much going on and have endless possible break points. If this were me I would have taken the old network gear and temporarily hooked it back up and gained access and changed everything to DHCP.

Then moved on . . .

Assigning a static IP address poses a huge risk in seeing (IP conflict) and taking down an entire network Node. If the network admin / user isn’t on top of tracking all used addresses this results in hours, days, weeks, of down time!

As you noted some appliances are extremely hard to reset to a default state to later obtain a DHCP address. Which in many cases blows away all user defined settings and parameters.

Teken, did try the old hardware trick. Disconnected the new switch and reconnected the previous router but the IP shift was at the gateway and the old Comcast equipment was packed and returned by this time.

Regarding Java, yes latest version. I have tried multiple time to clear the cache through the control panel and every time I get an error message that it can not delete the application??

1 hour ago, DIYguy said:

Like the old Visa commercial where the family upgrades/changes one thing and it ends up cascading into lots of changes I'm running into a similar situation.

Issues with Xfinity and tried to change my service. During this process I'm told my gateway is way old and they will send me the latest at no charge. OK. Received latest gateway and while changing gateways decided to upgrade my router and switches. Use to use several Cisco routers to create a mesh WiFi network and have since replace with EERO. Home is mainly hardwired so have multiple switches. Removed the four port router and eight port switch from the gateway and replaced with one six-teen port switch. Discovered the new gateway has a slightly different IP address as in 192.168.#.#. Hardwired nodes are all static IP so had to update every IP to get everything talking to the network again. Same with all the other nodes, (42) total. One of the last devices to get attention is the ISY994i. Opps. Static IP and no longer accessible. In hind site, note to anyone looking at updating their network with an ISY attached, make sure your address is dynamic before making the change. Could have saved myself lots of $$ and grief. Tried all the option including reset to factory default and nothing worked, three sold blue lights and a flashing red error. Ended up ordering a new ISY and upgraded to the ISY 994iZW+. Received the 994i ZW+/IR Pro for same price. OK. System will not see the ISY but my network can. Manually entered the MAC and IP and factory reboot of PLM and I was able to download the JNLP file from the ISY. This worked the first time and I was able to access the control Panel.  Problem is when opening the control panel I get large quantities of error screens, "Socket Open Failed java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundException: ....." Now the JNLP file will NOT open the control panel but I can use ISY Launcher and go through multiple steps and open the control panel. Made it this far. Found my latest backup and did a restore, now show (39) unique module address but can not communicate with any of them. PLM Status shows connected, but can not query any of the modules. Essentialy have lots of text to look at but nothing at all works. Tried to do a test and delete a module and then re-add it to the system but I can not delete anything either.

Have an Amazon Echo/Show/Dot in every room tied to all the other modules, Ring cameras, Insteon Hub and without the ISY, not much working.

I went into my records and my PLM 2413S is one week shy of four years old so I just ordered another one even thou status says OK, light is solid green. Wondering if the PLM is too old to communicate correctly with a new ISY with the extra features?

Running out of ideas why I'm getting all the error messages and can't communicate. Any help?

I agree with @Teken about static IP addresses, they shouldn't exist on any network.  Instead DHCP reservations should be leveraged to assign IP addresses where it matters.

Another thing is that I notice your using the downloaded admin console which is ok, as long is you have a clean cache and no confusion among files.  There is a newer method call the Launcher, which always opens the correct version of the admin console based on the ISY's firmware version.  This method is typically less problematic for most users.

If the socket error continue be sure to disable all virus protection and try again. 

Also remember that you can open a ticket by emailing support@universal-devices.com for 1 on 1 direct help.

Teken, did try the old hardware trick. Disconnected the new switch and reconnected the previous router but the IP shift was at the gateway and the old Comcast equipment was packed and returned by this time.
Regarding Java, yes latest version. I have tried multiple time to clear the cache through the control panel and every time I get an error message that it can not delete the application??

I’m on the road and not by a computer so can’t check. But the UDI WIKI will outline the steps to reset the network or worst case default the controller.

The pushing and hold timing is a little tricky so might have to do it a few times. No matter what make sure the 2413S PLM is connected even if you reset the ISY. Unless you’re using the firmware that doesn’t look for the 2413S PLM.

It will cause you endless pain if not powered up in sequence and together. If in doubt unplug both units. Wait ten seconds and power PLM. Wait ten seconds and then power up the ISY.

At this point don’t know if you hard reset the ISY. If so do it again per the WIKI until you see the LED pattern outlined.

Than go through the set up process. Than restore ISY. If you have a Pro version select the delay battery write as this will cause you nothing but hours / days of grief waiting and message failures. Once all of the hardwired gear is properly enrolled and physically / software working.

You can do a single battery device until done. Just right mouse click on each item and write any pending 0110 writes. Obviously, place that (single) battery device into linking mode!

Good luck . . .

Original ISY died during the recovery process. Three blue lights [memory dark] blinking red error light. Replaced micro SD card with exact same card, 2gb did factory reset, still no go. After enough time to start testing the definition of insanity I ordered a replacement

ISY is now brand new as of last night Friday 2/12. Upgraded from standard 994i to 994i ZW+/IR Pro (Will not be using IR but it came with it)

PLM 2413S is four years old, Rev 2.3 4616  Did a factory reset, unplug, wait two minutes to be sure, hold reset button and then plug back in. CP status show PLM is online.

Did multiple reboots, unplug both wait couple minutes to be sure, plug PLM back in, wait about one minute, plug ISY back in.

Ordered a new PLM, original is four years and this is my 2nd already. Wondering if the version is to old for the new ISY with extra features?

Up until the new gateway the complete system was working the way it should. LOTS of voice commands programed through Portal that are used frequently.

We hit our high temp for the day of -1 and supposed to fall to around -20 something so this is my weekend indoors project.

1 hour ago, DIYguy said:

Wondering if the version is to old for the new ISY with extra features?

No, your old PLM is not too old to work with the new ISY.  The ISY and PLM communicate via a serial connection.  So long as you have the correct cable connected between the two, they should have no problem communicating with each other.

At this point, I'm not sure which problem you're trying to fix.  Is it that you can open the Admin Console but can't seem to get the ISY to communicate with any of the modules?  If so, I'd suggest opening the Event Viewer and set it to Level 3.  Then try to control a module from the AC.  Do you see communication between the ISY and PLM?

Even the old model 2412S power  line only should work with an ISY994i. It also can supply power through the serial port connector to power it.

Though it has a slower memory so things maybe slightly slower.

We have seen the power supplies with an ISY controller. So trying one in some situations can correct things. Has a wide DC voltage range of 5Volts to 30Volts. Last time I looked UDI was selling a 12V 1 Amp replacement.

The problems I'm trying to fix are multiple. Soon as I enter the default user login and password which I can't change the program starts to stack error messages Most common error message is:

"Socket Open Failed java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundException: ....."  This one stacks about eight errors that need to b closed.

Buried behind those message are:

Error "Discovering Nodes; Retry!" About two of that one.

Next goes into "Initializing"....Starting Subscription. This will churn with the little green bar running forever until I finally cancel. Doesn't seem to matter how long I let it run. If I X-out of that one, "Would you like to close the Administration Console?"

Hit "No" and I have all my devices and programs listed (after restoring backup) but nothing works at all. Can not delete an obsolete device, tried to delete a a current device and try re linking, nothing works.

The Java Console logs a LONG list of errors, first few lines are:

Missing Application-Name manifest attribute for: https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/insteon.jar

addNodeDefs invalid XML
----null
----
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.nanoxml.XMLElement.parseString(Unknown Source)
    at com.universaldevices.u7.U7NodeDefs.addNodeDefs(Unknown Source)
    at com.universaldevices.u7.U7NodeDefs.addNodeDefs(Unknown Source)

LONG list of failed to initialize errors follow.

Since the errors seem to all be Java related I uninstalled the current Java version, rebooted, downloaded and installed the current version, rebooted, tried to clear cache again, got an error message again "could not uninstall application"

End goal I want to accomplish, have the program open and run correctly, communicate with all the devices I have installed that up until a week ago worked perfectly.

Not TOO much to hope for.

You appear to have a lot going on which is making it hard to point you in the right direction. I would suggest rebooting your computer and use the ISY Launcher to attempt to gain access.

It appears you are running v5 firmware, if that is correct, then download the ISY Launcher from this link:

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

After trying to start from the Launcher, tell us what is happening.

3 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Next goes into "Initializing"....Starting Subscription. This will churn with the little green bar running forever until I finally cancel. Doesn't seem to matter how long I let it run.

When you purchased the new ISY, did you ask ISY to transfer any subscriptions that your old ISY had to the new one?  I assume that's necessary, but having never replaced my ISY I don't know for sure.

I did reopen and existing ticket and the responses I received are absolutely worthless.

Latest update.

Received the new PLM 2413S, did a factory reset of the new ISY to wipe out all the existing devices and started clean. Unplugged the ISY and waited several minutes to be sure. Plugged the new PLM in and waited another couple minutes before plugging the ISY back in. Used the Start.JNLP app to open the ISY finder. This found my ISY and clicked on it to open the Administrative Console. Had to use the defaults to log in and once again this started popping open about ten error message windows. I have attached a few of the error messages. Clean ISY, brand new PLM, fresh start and I still get all the error messages. I am convinced the problem is Java related but have done everything I can think of to correct.

I have gone through all the steps through the Control Panel in Win10 to clear the cache and every single time I get the same error message "Unable to uninstall application(s)". Rebooted computer, went into applications and did a full uninstall of the Java app and rebooted computer again. Went to the Java site and downloaded the latest version of Java and installed. Rebooted computer again. Opened up ISY Admin Console, logged in and had all the same error message pop up. There is a copy of the error log in the ISY Launcher a couple of messages above so won't re paste them here.

Except for a few glitches over the years I was running my ISY 994i since 2013 and it worked just fine.

I'm out of ideas how to fix the Java and get the ISY to work again.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 17.13.40.png

Screenshot 2021-02-15 17.13.52.png

Screenshot 2021-02-15 17.14.45.png

Screenshot 2021-02-16 08.20.12.png

Latest, latest update.

Disabled all virus protection and launched the Admin Console again, log into console. Slightly different response this time as is starts the linking process along with all the error messages again. It will go through this linking  process over and over for maybe ten minutes and then the application will lock up solid and requires the three finger solute to close the application. Tried this five different times. Challenge is, all the computer setting and virus protection are exactly the same as they were with the previous ISY that worked. Not sure what is supposed to be different that this version will not run. Resume virus protection and back to just the errors, no linking but it doesn't lock up either.

My suggestion to you would be to re-open discussions with UD via the help ticket and request they assist you with a remote session. With your permission they will send you a link that allows them to log in to your computer and remotely assist you.

They are very willing to help, just be patient and go through the process.

So wanted to share the latest, latest.

Was able to set up an appointment with Brad at UD and we did a remote session. Wanted to share that Brad was fantastic! Multiple issues to resolve and Brad was able to cruise around multiple monitors and really knows his stuff. Still took 75 minutes to complete but really enjoyed the time while we worked on solving the problems.

Lots of kudos to Brad and Universal Devices!

16 hours ago, DIYguy said:

So wanted to share the latest, latest.

Was able to set up an appointment with Brad at UD and we did a remote session. Wanted to share that Brad was fantastic! Multiple issues to resolve and Brad was able to cruise around multiple monitors and really knows his stuff. Still took 75 minutes to complete but really enjoyed the time while we worked on solving the problems.

Lots of kudos to Brad and Universal Devices!

Great to hear the good outcome and good support help. But do you mind sharing any root causes you/Brad found that solved your problems so others don't stumble on the same issues?

Multiple issues that took a bit of work to resolve.

One was the original start.jnlp file wasn't finding the ISY. Did a direct IP login to the ISY and tried using the admin.jnlp app. Apparently this had two application installed and the admin was interfering with the start version. Using the unsecured IP (http://) was the part that was generating a lot of errors. Add the "s" for secured got around the virus protection which has always been on previously. Turning virus protection off and logging in unsecured would cause the system to go into perpetual linking mode until it locked up completely. Also a suspicion that the brand new PLM was creating com issues that may have been creating the constant linking modes.

Brad was moving pretty quickly with a lot of different stuff but finally ended up with ISY finder having three option to chose from for login. The default was unsecured which generated errors, (skip that one) a web version which was a secured connection and the one that worked best,  https ://isy/desc

Short (sort of) summary of some of the solutions.

Archived