Man, this place is dead...

carealtor

I did get a email update yesterday.

Release of UDI Mobile for iOS. With a limited time  20% off sale on Polisy and Polisy Pro. To celebrate it being released.

I do agree not much on the other fronts. Though UDI doesn't always deluge upcoming things ahead of time.

2 hours ago, carealtor said:

Man, this place is dead.  I have to wonder why.  Has everyone given up waiting for upgrades and moved on to something else?

I doubt this is the case. Most posts on here are for help which ebbs and flows like anything else. 

8 hours ago, carealtor said:

Progress

That says alot. I guess the fact that they've finally created their own app, received full zwave certification, node store having over 100 nodeservers (free of charge at that), isn't progress? 

Sure, it would be nice if the Isy was already ported to Polisy.  As long as your house works, does it really matter?

If anything, progress will cost people more money. Good bye for those running polyglot on Rpi's and Hello lighter wallets to purchase Polisy. Ditto for those using nodeservers for free. 

I almost wish UDI would develop 6.0 firmware behind the scenes where only a select few has access. Once it's ready in a few years, force people to upgrade to the latest and greatest (like every other company). Maybe then, more people would appreciate the baby steps that has come over the years vs acting entitled to more every time we turn around 

3 hours ago, carealtor said:

Oh I know.  I've been around here forever.  I know the drill.  Still, I don't think I'm out of line (not suggesting you think I am) to hope/wish/pray for some things to materialize.

I don't think that it is a matter of being out of line, but @lilyoyo1 added some perspective to your point and personally I agree with him that UDI is has done tremendous things to improve and add to the ISY. I am also sure that Polyglot 3 will add further improvements. As he also mentioned, all this for free !!!

What exactly do you think is missing ?

I'm thrilled about the way things are going, my home is as automated as I want it and it just works without any hands on intervention, invisible. There is the occasional low battery but that's about it.

I've found time to work on an off-line voice assistant to replace the always sending data somewhere Alexa units, I call him Jarvis, he listens and does things but isn't connected to the internet.

23 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

If anything, progress will cost people more money.

Not necessarily.  Home Assistant has leaps and bounds more progress than ISY, and I haven't spent a cent on it.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely NO problem spending money.  Capitalism has been good to my wife and I and we have no problem with spreading the wealth.  I have purchased 2 ISYs (a 99 and then replaced with 994), Z-wave card and IR (both never used), Network Resources, and a Polisy.  I would and will happily pay for NodeServers, if and when that happens. 

Having said what I have said, my original post was a sincere question and was not trying diss on UDI.  I sincerely was wondering if the lack of activity in this forum was due to an exodus resulting from the lack of progress on upgrades.  Upgrades that have been in the works (I don't want to say "promised") for many many months.  

10 hours ago, carealtor said:

Not necessarily.  Home Assistant has leaps and bounds more progress than ISY, and I haven't spent a cent on it.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely NO problem spending money.  Capitalism has been good to my wife and I and we have no problem with spreading the wealth.  I have purchased 2 ISYs (a 99 and then replaced with 994), Z-wave card and IR (both never used), Network Resources, and a Polisy.  I would and will happily pay for NodeServers, if and when that happens. 

Having said what I have said, my original post was a sincere question and was not trying diss on UDI.  I sincerely was wondering if the lack of activity in this forum was due to an exodus resulting from the lack of progress on upgrades.  Upgrades that have been in the works (I don't want to say "promised") for many many months.  

I thought this was an ISY forum, not a Home assistant forum. And yes, based on what Michel has stated it will cost you. 

Polyglot 3 will not work with RPI meaning people will need to buy Polisy for it. Which means it'll cost. Developers will be able to rightfully charge for their work.... Once again it'll cost. Those who want to port their system to Polisy and have zwave, it'll cost. So yes, progress will cost. 

ISY, has grown in leaps and bounds. It may not have grown in the way you want but it has grown. Where was it at 6 years ago? Basic insteon support and network resources. Udi added 300 series support for basic zwave devices to multi channel device support. Now it's a zwave plus certified controller that works with insteon, most zwave devices, hue, ecobee, harmony, Sonos, lifx, rain machine, and countless other devices. In addition to that, they now have their own app which didn't exist before. 

The better question/statement wouldve been; where's the progress that you want vs no progress at all. 

11 hours ago, carealtor said:

Nothing stops you from using Home Assistant and in fact I use HA for quick control of my ISY devices while I am on my computer (especially as the Administrative Console's Java gives me on occasion  error messages). But  I find ISY way easier and better to program and maintain  my system, including with Polisy. The new UDI Mobile App is fantastic and better than  (I am sorry Wes) Mobilinc X.

I encourage UDI to charge for their upgrades and services, as I want the company to be highly profitable so that it can continue with its superb customer service and innovative upgrades. 

I am not criticizing you for your position, but I would like to understand exactly what more you expect as some of us are rather amazed at the quality and innovation of UDI's recent upgrades.

47 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Again, I was wondering why the forum was so dead and proposed my thought as to why.  You guys are the ones who keep poking me with a stick. ?

poking ......... moi ???????????

download.png

p.s. : Could it be that the little activity in the forum means that people have fewer issues ?

1 hour ago, carealtor said:

Again, I was wondering why the forum was so dead and proposed my thought as to why.  You guys are the ones who keep poking me with a stick. ?

I don't think anyone's intentions were to poke you. You asked a question and others answered trying to understand why you would assume people were leaving sure to progress vs. simply not needing help... Especially when help ebbs and flows like anything else.

If anything it sounds like you were doing the poking to get something started vs the most likely scenario

1 hour ago, carealtor said:

for the record, when I posted in the 2nd post of this thread I was talking about the same thing you were.....forum activity in this forum.  nothing more, nothing less....

In the couple weeks leading up to that, there were fewer posts per day in this forum than I've ever seen since I joined in 2016... I completely agree with that.... it was very quiet for about 2 weeks in a row.  It magically picked back up just a tad when you created this thread, so well done!

51 minutes ago, MrBill said:

for the record, when I posted in the 2nd post of this thread I was talking about the same thing you were.....forum activity in this forum.  nothing more, nothing less....

In the couple weeks leading up to that, there were fewer posts per day in this forum than I've ever seen since I joined in 2016... I completely agree with that.... it was very quiet for about 2 weeks in a row.  It magically picked back up just a tad when you created this thread, so well done!

To be fair, what tickled me is the second part of the post "...Has everyone given up waiting for upgrades and moved on to something else?,,,,,,,,,"

It does feel like we are in a little bit of a holding pattern on a lot of fronts. Polyglot Nodeserver development has slowed down - don't know if it is just lack of things to interface to or everyone is waiting for Polyglot 3 and the UDI Nodeserver Store. ISY on Polisy is coming, but we don't know when that will be. I know I am going to buy another Polisy right away when that is available, and move my ISY 994i to my beach house, but I am having to wait on all that investment until it comes to fruition. And Insteon is also completely stopped right now and I have no idea what the future will bring on that front. So unless you are into ZWave (of which I have none) and are dealing with all of the ZWave+ certification upgrades and such, yeah, there's not much happening on the surface right now (plenty going on in the background, though).

46 minutes ago, asbril said:

To be fair, what tickled me is the second part of the post "...Has everyone given up waiting for upgrades and moved on to something else?,,,,,,,,,"

Yes. It was passive hidden aggressive for sure.

I agree, things have been very slow, and UDI does not make regular "state of the union" announcements.

If UDI is converting the whole admin console to HTML5/CSS3/js, as well as porting ISY994 over to a completely different hardware box with a completely different O/S and languages...we may a few years before anybody is gong to see the turtle pop his head out again. (sorry @Michel Kohanim:) )

My ISY994 seems to keep working despite not getting updates every month, for some reason (sarc)

@carealtor,

It's been 14 years now, and every few months, someone predicts our doom or questions our viability. It's become a tradition and it's like clockwork. Examples: why the UI sucks/Java, why no marketing, Z-Wave bad range, Z-Wave multi channel, Z-Wave+??? Why BSD and not Linux? Why not free, why free, what? no apps? no INSTEON on Polisy? INSTEON on Polisy? No Siri? No Progress, HA is better, Vera, HomeSeer  and on and on ...  thankfully, we have a new one we can add to the list: why is the forum dead?. Perhaps it's a good sign? Everything is working so no one is posting? Or, should we worry because we have not yet become twitter or instagram? Or, maybe we should otherwise we are dead?

With regard to progress, as @lilyoyo1 suggested, since 10/2020:

1. Z-Wave+ certification
2. UD Mobile Android and IOS
3. ISY on Polisy (being tested. If you are eager to alpha test, let us know)
4. PG3 is almost done and you can check your slack channel for updates
5. From 80 node servers to 110

Yes, yes, HA is leaps and bounds ahead of us and it's free. I know I know ... we are going to die. Soon.

With kind regards,
Michel

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@carealtor,

It's been 14 years now, and every few months, someone predicts our doom or questions our viability. It's become a tradition and it's like clockwork. Examples: why the UI sucks/Java, why no marketing, Z-Wave bad range, Z-Wave multi channel, Z-Wave+??? Why BSD and not Linux? Why not free, why free, what? no apps? no INSTEON on Polisy? INSTEON on Polisy? No Siri? No Progress, HA is better, Vera, HomeSeer  and on and on ...  thankfully, we have a new one we can add to the list: why is the forum dead?. Perhaps it's a good sign? Everything is working so no one is posting? Or, should we worry because we have not yet become twitter or instagram? Or, maybe we should otherwise we are dead?

With regard to progress, as @lilyoyo1 suggested, since 10/2020:

1. Z-Wave+ certification
2. UD Mobile Android and IOS
3. ISY on Polisy (being tested. If you are eager to alpha test, let us know)
4. PG3 is almost done and you can check your slack channel for updates
5. From 80 node servers to 110

Yes, yes, HA is leaps and bounds ahead of us and it's free. I know I know ... we are going to die. Soon.

With kind regards,
Michel

Grass, seen from an acute angle (further distance) , is always much thicker and greener.

Archived