Upgrade firmware from 4.9.0 to 5.3.0?

I currently use 4.9.0 without a problem. No Z-Wave devices, just some X-10, Insteon, and I connect to Google Home through ISY portal.

Should I upgrade the firmware to 5.3.0? The whole "Upgrading to this version may require a lot of manual intervention" has me a little 

bugged out. I'm not an expert at this.

Should I expect any problems? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

11 hours ago, BobM99 said:

I currently use 4.9.0 without a problem. No Z-Wave devices, just some X-10, Insteon, and I connect to Google Home through ISY portal.

Should I upgrade the firmware to 5.3.0? The whole "Upgrading to this version may require a lot of manual intervention" has me a little 

bugged out. I'm not an expert at this.

Should I expect any problems? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

There may be a few programs that need manual adjustment particularly if you use "adjust scene".  Programs requiring manual adjustment are relatively easy to find... look for Yellow on the programs summary page after the upgrade is complete.   Also programs that have a statement that doesn't automatically upgrade will have a comment in place of the missing program line.

Another step you can take to make certain you know what the old program looked like is to left click "My Programs" at the top of the program tree (or the very top folder if you've renamed it) then Right Click and pick "Copy Folder to clipboard", now open Notepad or any text editor (preferably one that doesn't add formatting) and paste the clipboard.  now you can save the file or leave it open and in addition to your full ISY backup you now have a text backup of the programs for reference.

Be sure to BACK-UP as the first step.  Also don't stop at 5.3.0 go straight to 5.3.3.

There are some programs that don't update automatically... for the most part tho upgrade from 4 to 5 is a smother process than it once was especially with no z-wave.

1 hour ago, BobM99 said:

Hi,

I did the upgrade and this is what I see on programs summary page, a lot of yellow. I'm at a loss what to do now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Bob

isy.thumb.jpg.eb860cd48c37d1c6677bcd7509bbc7ec.jpg

I'm assuming you didn't read @MrBill warning about programs and the information in the upgrade post about upgrading! You have to update your programs as there is a difference with how 5.0 handles them vs 4.0. That's where the yellow is coming from

Make sure you cleared your Java cache and use the launcher as well. 

Hi, yes I read the warning. I posted this to try to get a sense of what to expect. As a novice I didn't expect to see so many of the programs not "make it."

Anyway, this may sound like a dumb question, but by "updating" a program, does that mean rewriting it?  Or is there an easier way?

Thanks again.

Bob

2 hours ago, BobM99 said:

Hi, yes I read the warning. I posted this to try to get a sense of what to expect. As a novice I didn't expect to see so many of the programs not "make it."

Anyway, this may sound like a dumb question, but by "updating" a program, does that mean rewriting it?  Or is there an easier way?

Thanks again.

Bob

The worst lines will have <unknown device> type comments in them and you will have to redo the line from scratch. Many will have comments and the line can just be clicked on, check the parameters and then click "update" and the line will be rewritten exactly the same but with the hidden links reloaded. Always click save for the programs, when open each session.

YMMV

Archived