Insteon Motion Sensor II - ISY Troubles 2842-222 vs. 2844-222

bwbeisne

Good morning ISY world.  I am having a heck of a time getting a 2844-222 Motion II to work as I need. Directly linking to responder works fine BUT the default off timer is 30s. Way too short. Having no way to adjust off time with the 'set' button I decided to link it into my ISY.  It looks to add correctly and I do see status but I get a ton of errors trying to set device params. Errors shown below in order

UDI/FW: 4.9.0 ISY 994i

1. After clicking device options - Error - request failed 

2. I hit OK and I can then see device options AND it even shows the values set from the previous attempt, 20min timeout and 'as motion is sensed' is checked. Is this stored in the admin console?

3. with all the above the actual sensor behavior is still stock at 30 seconds to off signal. 

It seems the sensor is not correctly represented in ISY. I have tried both 'auto detect' and manual selection of 2842-222, which is not exact but the only device listed. I have a 2844-222. 

Yes, I know I can create a program to handle this and I do use the ISY to handle my indoor motion sensors. I have many motion sensors of the old version and I don't want or need a program for each. I do, however need to set the 'OFF' time on all new motion sensors. Hopefully without buying an $80 Insteon hub to do so. 

Any ideas you guys might have would be awesome. Thank you   

1 hour ago, bwbeisne said:

Good morning ISY world.  I am having a heck of a time getting a 2844-222 Motion II to work as I need. Directly linking to responder works fine BUT the default off timer is 30s. Way too short. Having no way to adjust off time with the 'set' button I decided to link it into my ISY.  It looks to add correctly and I do see status but I get a ton of errors trying to set device params. Errors shown below in order

UDI/FW: 4.9.0 ISY 994i

1. After clicking device options - Error - request failed 

2. I hit OK and I can then see device options AND it even shows the values set from the previous attempt, 20min timeout and 'as motion is sensed' is checked. Is this stored in the admin console?

3. with all the above the actual sensor behavior is still stock at 30 seconds to off signal. 

It seems the sensor is not correctly represented in ISY. I have tried both 'auto detect' and manual selection of 2842-222, which is not exact but the only device listed. I have a 2844-222. 

Yes, I know I can create a program to handle this and I do use the ISY to handle my indoor motion sensors. I have many motion sensors of the old version and I don't want or need a program for each. I do, however need to set the 'OFF' time on all new motion sensors. Hopefully without buying an $80 Insteon hub to do so. 

Any ideas you guys might have would be awesome. Thank you   

If you do not have zwave, then you need to update your ISY to 5.3.3 in order to set those. IF you have zwave devices then you need to go to 5.0.16c

You need ISY v5.3.3. IIRC the MS II was not supported in ISY v.4++

I have found it is not possible to let ISY do Off timing with these new MS II units, like you could with the original Insteon MS. The MS II was basically created to support the Insteon Hub and Hubless system and not the ISY automation systems. The MS II timer must be the boss over timing or logical errors will result.

To elaborate on versions people are spitting out....

5.0.16C is the last ISY firmware version that works with a series 300 z-wave board.  If your admin console has a z-wave menu, and Z-Wave > Z-Wave version = 4.55.00 then this is the version you need.  You might also think about a z-wave upgrade board from UDI, with possible discounts base on the age of your ISY.

If there is no z-wave menu at the top of the admin console, or the answer to Z-Wave > Z-Wave version = 6.81.00 then go to version 5.3.3

Be sure to read all the instructions.  Generally upgrades go quick and easily these days, the exception is if your ISY Programs use "Adjust Scene", all of those programs will require a manual fix.

Ok. I have successfully upgraded FW/UI to 5.3.3 and I am able to add the MS II correctly. The onboard temp sensor is a cool new feature. Lot's of possibilities there. 

I still cannot change the responder off time using the MS II options from the Admin Console.  I suspect that the two 'time' related parameters are not for setting the time period to send an off command to the responder.

I see 'Off Button Timeout' and 'Timeout' under motion.  I have tried setting both and the MS II still turns off the responder in 30 seconds. 

My goal here is to set time period for sending the off signal to 20 minutes (1200s) instead of 30s. Is this not possible without buying an Insteon hub?

20 minutes ago, bwbeisne said:

Oh!! So hold down the set button and press 'write changes' in the console? OR long press set to put it in linking mode then write changes?

Long click the set button and put MS II into linking mode, as is necessary for all Insteon battery based devices. They save battery life this way, by not monitoring 24x7.

Write your changes and then click again twice or just wait for about 5 minutes to return to normal operation.

Archived