Solution for dimmable LED light strips with automations?

9 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I don't use those strips/setups that you're using so @MrBillwwould definitely know more about them than i do.

All of your questions are why I use the exact same stuff for all of my jobs. Less time figuring out what I need and calculations. Also why I love hue. The work is done for you. By the time you pay for everything you need, figure out how to hide it, etc. you've spent more than what hue costs. 

When I do strip lighting for customers, everything is generally hardwired to be controlled from a standard dimmer so voltage drop is always a concern. This is what I'm basing my response on. For my house, I simply use hue and programming to accomplish the same thing.

Mrbill's info is correct in regards to usage. I differ from him in that i assume worse case scenario for my lights which means everything has an IP rating (unless clearly in a dry area) regardless if protected or not. I also assume lights will be used at full brightness and add a little bit extra to be on the safe side. That way, no matter what, i know I'll never run my equipment at maximum power. 

Depending on your setup, make sure you are using the correct guage of wire to run to your switch (assuming that's your setup).

Cutting your strip in half obviously lowers what you need for power but make sure you're calculating what you need by watts per foot. Your mfg. should be able to provide that information. How many LEDs are on each strip also plays a part in that as well. Higher density LEDs (300 vs 150) need a larger transformer from the start. Since your going with 24v from the start, that part is taken care of. 

I also wanted to add, depending on setup, if you wanted to use 1 overpowered transformer with multiple strips (still do the calculations), you can use a connecting block to run them all together. That way you won't need multiple transformers 

@lilyoyo1 many thanks. I went with the strip @MrBill suggested. Link here.

The strip is 16.4 feet, 480 LED's and so 96 LEDs per meter. 24V, working power 5.5A and 132W/16.4 ft max.

Is it as simple as cutting the strip in half to 8 feet means working power of 5.5A with 66W max?

8 hours ago, jons7391 said:

@lilyoyo1 many thanks. I went with the strip @MrBill suggested. Link here.

The strip is 16.4 feet, 480 LED's and so 96 LEDs per meter. 24V, working power 5.5A and 132W/16.4 ft max.

Is it as simple as cutting the strip in half to 8 feet means working power of 5.5A with 66W max?

Yes

I use 12v for my strips. I have about 20 of them now.

I use this 5 channel controller
https://superlightingled.com/dc1224v-wifi-amazon-alexa-google-home-rgbww-led-controller5-channels-control-4a5chtimer-music-group-sync-controller-apply-to-5in1-rgbww-led-strip-light-p-1345.html

and 12v, some at 2 amp (24 Watt) and some at 5A (60 Watt). The strips never draw that much. IIRC the max draw on my RGBWW strips was about 20 Watts for 5m strips.

52 minutes ago, jons7391 said:

@MrBill or anyone really - do you have any recommendations on speedy and reliable motion sensors ? 

I see the Insteon Motion Sensor II is sold out everywhere. Is that the best one? Or something else works good too? I would think native to ISY is best?

That is a nasty situation. The Insteon MS original had some minor problems but it has become extinct and now the Insteon MS II has become the only one now.  Many people are not to thrilled with this unit as it presents some logical problems with timing and usage in ISY. It can still be used however.

These guys have them in stock. Remember you would be dealing in CAD bucks.
https://www.aartech.ca/2844-222/insteon-motion-sensor-ii.html

6 hours ago, jons7391 said:

@larryllix thanks, on their website when you go to add to cart it says sold out. I wonder if my lights are connected to Hue Bridge -> then into the ISY - would the Hue Motion Sensor work okay? Just looking for quick feedback so motion detects then lights turn on without too much of delay.

I haven't used Hue devices, except for their early development bulbs. There will always be more delay than a direct link between devices that Insteon can do. How much? I don't know. ISY doesn't add much delay time but the protocl channels do sometimes.

Archived