ISY Home Assistant Integration is slow & unreliable?

Venicenerd

I began using Home Assistant installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 this month.  Works great.  I’m using it primarily for the UI on my phone.  Looks fantastic and functions well.  I have also incorporated our Ambient Weather Station and Honeywell thermostats into the UI dashboard.  My ISY994i still handles 99% of the automation functions.  One thing I do is to use device.trackers to determine if me or my wife are not “home” and send REST commands to the ISY accordingly.   That experiment is going well and if that continues it will take the place of the Locative app on our phones.

I installed HA on a NUC. the ISY994i integration was very responsive and I had it working simultaneously with Homebridge (I use homebridge UI and homebridge-isy-njs)and no real issues (I did not try HA Homekit integration). What I did not like is when I changed, renamed, or deleted something on they ISY, it did not update correctly in HA. If I delete something on ISY it would never really delete the entities and can linger around (can delete manually in registry). Because I was at a point of doing lots of changes on my ISY this frustrated me and triggered my OCD. After my recent move to Polisy and when I get ISY working the way I want after some device changes/upgrades, I may revisit HA.

I do agree with others that the scripting (YAML) in HA is much lower level and difficult to do than ISY programs.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:31 AM, brians said:

I installed HA on a NUC. the ISY994i integration was very responsive and I had it working simultaneously with Homebridge (I use homebridge UI and homebridge-isy-njs)and no real issues (I did not try HA Homekit integration). What I did not like is when I changed, renamed, or deleted something on they ISY, it did not update correctly in HA. If I delete something on ISY it would never really delete the entities and can linger around (can delete manually in registry). Because I was at a point of doing lots of changes on my ISY this frustrated me and triggered my OCD. After my recent move to Polisy and when I get ISY working the way I want after some device changes/upgrades, I may revisit HA.

I do agree with others that the scripting (YAML) in HA is much lower level and difficult to do than ISY programs.

In Home Assistant click on the Developers tab in the left hand menu, then click "Services" across the top menu.

• isy994.reload - use this one when a device has been added or changed in the isy.
  • isy994.cleanup_entities - to remove deleted isy nodes.

No additional parameters are needed for either.

12 minutes ago, MrBill said:

In Home Assistant click on the Developers tab in the left hand menu, then click "Services" across the top menu.

• isy994.reload - use this one when a device has been added or changed in the isy.
  • isy994.cleanup_entities - to remove deleted isy nodes.

No additional parameters are needed for either.

Yes I tried that and does work to "delete" them from the usable entities. However, they still never really disappear and are still shown  in entities - can disable them but they are still there. I seen others complaining about this but it is apparently by design. I can remove them from the core.device.registry yaml file manually.

I think maybe the issue was if I changed the name of a device on ISY it would cause these broken entities so I would have to go through a big process to properly remove, which I did not have time for right now.

Here is an article what I am talking about...

https://blog.tiga.tech/deleting-devices-and-entities-in-home-assistant/

He notes that you can delete them but it was not my experience. I will revisit it after some changes I am making and done playing with Polisy... because I think HA is something I would really like (but looks like be a lot of work).

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday when starting to move some Zwave devices from ISY to ISY ON Polisy, something went wrong on my ISY (I have no idea why) and it took me quite some time to get ISY running again. As a consequence Home Assistan stopped recognizing my ISY. After trying restart HA, I finally removed the UD Integration and added it again.  I entered the URL as http://XX.XX.XX:80 as well as the same username & password that I use for the Administrative Console, but while the UD integration shows in the list of Integrations, it shows as "not loaded".

I have repeated several times the deletion and adding of the UD integration, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea what I may have done wrong ?

P.S.  As it will take quite some time to fully migrate my many Zwave devices from ISY to I-o-P, can I have both ISY and I-o-P on Home Assistant ?

4 hours ago, asbril said:

Yesterday when starting to move some Zwave devices from ISY to ISY ON Polisy, something went wrong on my ISY (I have no idea why) and it took me quite some time to get ISY running again. As a consequence Home Assistan stopped recognizing my ISY. After trying restart HA, I finally removed the UD Integration and added it again.  I entered the URL as http://XX.XX.XX:80 as well as the same username & password that I use for the Administrative Console, but while the UD integration shows in the list of Integrations, it shows as "not loaded".

I have repeated several times the deletion and adding of the UD integration, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea what I may have done wrong ?

P.S.  As it will take quite some time to fully migrate my many Zwave devices from ISY to I-o-P, can I have both ISY and I-o-P on Home Assistant ?

I now get this message in HA :

Retrying setup: Timed out initializing the ISY; device may be busy, trying again later:

On 12/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rob said:

I've been using ISY 994 and HA for about 6 months now and my experience has never been better. Everything responds instantly (<1sec). I use scenes for controlling multiple lights at once since controlling individual lights in quick succession without delays between commands has always been problematic. This isn't specific to HA or ISY but Insteon. And as io_guy said, incorrect status is often an indication of a failing PLM. You can either re-cap it or simply buy an in-stock USB PLM and swap the daughterboard. I did that a few days ago and after resetting a few devices my network was back at 100% reliability.

Pretty sure USB PLMs haven't been in stock for a while. I think I bought one of the last ones as a backup to do just what you're talking about here if I need to.

45 minutes ago, asbril said:

I now get this message in HA :

Retrying setup: Timed out initializing the ISY; device may be busy, trying again later:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: components/isy994/__init__.py:175
First occurred: 11:21:38 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:21:38 PM

Error setting up entry ISY (10.0.0.11) for isy994
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 327, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/isy994/__init__.py", line 175, in async_setup_entry
    await isy.initialize()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyisy/isy.py", line 135, in initialize
    isy_setup_results = await asyncio.gather(*isy_setup_tasks)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyisy/connection.py", line 245, in get_status
    result = await self.request(req_url)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyisy/connection.py", line 197, in request
    retry_result = await self.request(url, retries + 1, ok404=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyisy/connection.py", line 197, in request
  [Previous line repeated 2 more times]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyisy/connection.py", line 203, in request
    res.status,
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'res' referenced before assignment

@asbril

I don't think I'm going to be much help, so don't get your hopes up.

First of all, the IP address in "Error setting up entry ISY (10.0.0.11) for isy994" sounds fishy to me.

If this was happening to me, something I would do is to go snoop around in /config/.storage/core.config_entries, /config/.storage/core.device_registry, and /config/.storage/core.entity_registry, and see what HA thinks the ISY IP address is.

26 minutes ago, carealtor said:

@asbril

I don't think I'm going to be much help, so don't get your hopes up.

First of all, the IP address in "Error setting up entry ISY (10.0.0.11) for isy994" sounds fishy to me.

If this was happening to me, something I would do is to go snoop around in /config/.storage/core.config_entries, /config/.storage/core.device_registry, and /config/.storage/core.entity_registry, and see what HA thinks the ISY IP address is.

Thanks. I will look into that, but in the meantime @Javi showed me how to get UD Mobile on my PC and that resolves 99% of what I needed. I can stil use some features of HA but UD Mobile is pretty good.

Archived