Migration to ISY on Polisy: An attempt to collect, organize and share Simplified Directions.

dbwarner5

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@brians,

Thank you by Polisy rebooting do you mean IoP (ISY on Polisy)? Or, does the actual box reboots? 

With kind regards,
Michel

ISY on Polisy restarts - seems to be when doing a manual query all and having console open, the entire Polisy itself does not. I have not seen ISY on Polisy restart since Jan 30th and the Query 3am has been running fine.

Great guide!  I just followed it to migrate from my old ISY99 to Polisy and everything went great - it helps that I have a simple system with no zwave devices (but will be adding those soon).

Strangely, I updated the network settings in Mobilinc and UDMobile, but only UDMobile can talk to Polisy (local network, haven't tried global yet).

I did notice the Gateway and DNS on Polisy are 0.0.0.0 and can't be edited in the Admin Console, should these be updated to what my old ISY had, and if so, how?

On 2/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, peterathans said:

Strangely, I updated the network settings in Mobilinc and UDMobile, but only UDMobile can talk to Polisy (local network, haven't tried global yet).

I did notice the Gateway and DNS on Polisy are 0.0.0.0 and can't be edited in the Admin Console, should these be updated to what my old ISY had, and if so, how?

@peterathans Am not 100% sure what you are asking, but here is a screen shot of my Admin console / Configuration / system / Network Settings, as well as my mobilinc settings.  All is working as expected. Once you change your mobilinc settings be sure to click on Tap to Sync with ISY

2044685955_ScreenShot2022-02-10at9_16_28AM.jpg.6cb1b1b9cf334dd06d103c18765d9a40.jpgIMG_826E90F94FFD-1.thumb.jpeg.8e0cfbe2e523d6fc282401a9fb162eb6.jpeg

Edited by dbwarner5
Masking of uuid

I went as far as starting ISY on Polisy adding it to the Launcher and then changing the logon credentials. I can run the Admin Console for it but don't want to migrate yet from my ISY994i.

Is it possible to keep the 994i in service while configuring the Polisy ISY or once the migration is started there's no turning back? I'm not sure how far you can go with having the 2 ISYs, until down the road, when it's only the Polisy ISY.  -phil

2 hours ago, vbphil said:

Is it possible to keep the 994i in service while configuring the Polisy ISY or once the migration is started there's no turning back? I'm not sure how far you can go with having the 2 ISYs, until down the road, when it's only the Polisy ISY.  -phil

@vbphil I had the same questions.. here discussion I had with Michel from UDI.

1)Question: I have a spare PLM, can I turn off my ISY, unplug its PLM, plug in a new PLM, and with a "restore" of my backup to the new ISY on polisy, try it, but then quickly go back to the original ISY / PLM combo w/o messing up my switches, portals, Alexa
commands, zwave etc? 

Answer: If you use a new PLM, regardless of whether it’s on Polisy or 994, you MUST Restore Modem.

2) question

-Can I take the current ISY 994i and its matching PLM, put them on a shelf, --> SET #1

-then use a new PLM with restore ISY to Polisy and restore to PLM for testing purposes --> Set #2

-then switch them back and forth as complete Sets, w/o messing up my portal, Alexa, Insteons, zwave etc as they all exist on Set #1?

Answer: Yes you can but but but but but … you are talking about INSTEON. Every time you restore a modem, all devices must also be updated. So, you cannot just swap set 1 with set 2 and hope everything
works because, in the process of setting up set 2, you are severing the linkages to the PLM in set 1

5 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

@vbphil I had the same questions.. here discussion I had with Michel from UDI.

Answer: Yes you can but but but but but … you are talking about INSTEON. Every time you restore a modem, all devices must also be updated. So, you cannot just swap set 1 with set 2 and hope everything
works because, in the process of setting up set 2, you are severing the linkages to the PLM in set 1

@dbwarner5 thanks for the reply. That's a good answer! I forgot about that being the case with Insteon and the PLM addressing. Not worth the effort then to set that up.

I just ordered the Zooz USB 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 Stick ZST10 700 to use with Polisy. I only have a few Z-Wave devices that are installed, but not used. I think I'll try using Polisy with z-wave to start out and play around with that. Then migrate the ISY over using the restore from backup. I can use the same serial PLM that 994i is currently using. Although I do have another older USB PLM. I wonder if that's any better?

Thanks to this guide, I managed to get everything working quickly except for datalogging using the "@webpage" feature on the Emails/Notifications tab. Is this working for anyone else? In playing around with Web Server tab, I find that I can copy a file from my computer into the directory, but if I try to create a new directory, it fails. I also can't delete the file that I copied over. Not sure if there is a ownership error, or something isn't working with the path settings?

6 hours ago, vbphil said:

@dbwarner5 thanks for the reply. That's a good answer! I forgot about that being the case with Insteon and the PLM addressing. Not worth the effort then to set that up.

I just ordered the Zooz USB 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 Stick ZST10 700 to use with Polisy. I only have a few Z-Wave devices that are installed, but not used. I think I'll try using Polisy with z-wave to start out and play around with that. Then migrate the ISY over using the restore from backup. I can use the same serial PLM that 994i is currently using. Although I do have another older USB PLM. I wonder if that's any better?

@vbphil I did the same thing via zwave. got all LAN connections working, then added PG3 to test it. Move everything after that. Felt like it was going to be a huge effort, and because of the number of programs I have and ZWave, But while it took time, it was mostly just retyping / replacing bad code in ISY, but with the text open right next to me from the prep work.  Screwed up my Alexa portal though which added an unnecessary 2-3 hours of recreating over 100 commands. 

Good luck, and always use your latest PLM version, as there is a big difference between certain versions (I forget the details, v1 vs v2?) in performance and capacity. 

Questions about z-wave and switching to Polisy.

Will there ever be a way to simply transfer z-wave nodes over from ISY to Polisy? Similar to the Insteon method. If so, how many months to wait for that?

I have gotten ISY working on Polisy and having a z-wave unit which I use for testing within the ISY. I went to install it into Polisy ISY and before it would include to the Polisy it needed to be excluded from the Polisy. Fair enough, I've seen this before from other z-wave units. However it at the same time it also excluded from ISY without me even initiating that. Is this to be expected with all z-wave units? I was hoping to be able to use both ISY and Polisy together for a period of time, it's looking like that might not work as I thought.

Zwave migration from the ISY to the Polisy is not in the immediate future. It's still in the development process.

When you exclude a device you erase its link tables. A Zwave device can only be linked to one controller at any one time. When you excluded it and added it to the Polisy the ISY link tables got deleted and replaced by the Polisy Zwave controller link tables.

• Like 1

All of my scenes are not working after migrating to IoP.  If I remove the device from the scene and add it back then that device is good.  I have to do this to all the devices in all of the scenes.  Any way to speed this up?  I have a ton of scenes and devices.  Thank you!

Edited by btreinders
3 minutes ago, btreinders said:

All of my scenes are not working after migrating to IoP.  If I remove the device from the scene and add it back then that device is good.  I have to do this to all the devices in all of the scenes.  Any way to speed this up?  I have a ton of scenes and devices.  Thank you!

Are you using the same PLM on the Polisy as you did on the ISY?

Are they not working from a program?

Try rebooting the Polisy

Links for the Scenes are contained in the devices, you could disconnect the ISY or Polisy and the scenes would still work.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Techman said:

Are you using the same PLM on the Polisy as you did on the ISY?

Are they not working from a program?

Try rebooting the Polisy

Links for the Scenes are contained in the devices, you could disconnect the ISY or Polisy and the scenes would still work.

Different PLM than original.  In the process of switching over the original PLM stopped working.  I restored from ISY and then put it on the Polisy.  They may have or may not have been working on the ISY, not sure.

Do not work from programs either.  But they do work from devices, like a keypadlinc still works to turn on and off the correct devices.

I have rebooted the Polisy.

@btreinders

Either the PLM restore to the new PLM didn't properly write the link tables or your programs may need a tweak.

Take a look at the programs to make sure they're working. Are you able to control the devices in the scenes individually from the device tree, if not then the PLM restore may have not properly completed.

9 minutes ago, Techman said:

@btreinders

Either the PLM restore to the new PLM didn't properly write the link tables or your programs may need a tweak.

Take a look at the programs to make sure they're working. Are you able to control the devices in the scenes individually from the device tree, if not then the PLM restore may have not properly completed.

Yes, I can control the devices and programs are functioning properly.  The only thing that does not work until I remove a device and add it back is the scene.  Once I add the device back it passes the scene test and work with the scene but no other devices pass or work until they are deleted and added back.  It is all the scenes that contain insteon devices and even the other devices won't work if they are in a scene with insteon in it.

6 minutes ago, btreinders said:

Yes, I can control the devices and programs are functioning properly.  The only thing that does not work until I remove a device and add it back is the scene.  Once I add the device back it passes the scene test and work with the scene but no other devices pass or work until they are deleted and added back.  It is all the scenes that contain insteon devices and even the other devices won't work if they are in a scene with insteon in it.

The PLM restore either didn't properly write the link tables to the new PLM or the old PLM was buggy and/or failing and when you did the restore it wrote the buggy links to the new PLM which is what most likely happened.

It's best to go through each program and device to make sure it's working

Do you have any battery-operated devices in your set up?

• Like 1