Migration to ISY on Polisy: An attempt to collect, organize and share Simplified Directions.

dbwarner5

3 minutes ago, Techman said:

The PLM restore either didn't properly write the link tables to the new PLM or the old PLM was buggy and/or failing and when you did the restore it wrote the buggy links to the new PLM which is what most likely happened.

It's best to go through each program and device to make sure it's working

Do you have any battery-operated devices in your set up?

I do have one battery insteon motion detector and some other Z wave battery devices.

Programs all work except for scenes.  If a program runs a scene the scene fails but any other lines in the program are fine.

Yes, I have decided to just go through all the scenes and delete and add back all devices.  Just adds to the 5 days it has already taken me to convert to IoP, probably take another couple of hours to fix the scenes at a minimum.

Thank you!

@btreinders

Most likely either your link tables in the ISY were corrupted before you did the PLM restore, or the PLM restore got corrupted.

What you can try rather than deleting and re-adding devices is to do a restore device on the devices in a scene. 

You can also try removing the device from a scene then adding it back.

Both of these options are painless and shouldn't take a lot of time. Try this with one scene that isn't working to see if it cleans up your problem

On 2/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, Techman said:

After everything is properly working make a (good) Backup

@Techman Oh most definitely, I make daily backups.  

One strange thing I am noticing today is some variable's time changed is 6 hours behind.  Like I can even manually change it and the time becomes exactly 6 hrs behind.  Only for some though, others are fine.  Is this an IoP bug?  I have never seen this before.  Rebooting did not help either.

1 hour ago, btreinders said:

@Techman Oh most definitely, I make daily backups.  

One strange thing I am noticing today is some variable's time changed is 6 hours behind.  Like I can even manually change it and the time becomes exactly 6 hrs behind.  Only for some though, others are fine.  Is this an IoP bug?  I have never seen this before.  Rebooting did not help either.

Check the configuration window and make sure that the proper time zone is set. If so it could be a bug.

13 hours ago, Techman said:

Check the configuration window and make sure that the proper time zone is set. If so it could be a bug.

That was the first thing I checked, it is correct.  It seems to happen with variables that get set back to zero after they are set to 1.  Like motion detected variables I have set up to have external cameras or Elk motion sensors change them to 1 via REST and then after 5 seconds the ISY changes them back to zero.  But ecobee sensors and weather variables form node servers are doing it as well.  Some variables, even node servers and variables set via REST don't have the issue though so that is making it difficult to pin down a cause.  

Another issue I found was scenes in programs not working until you re-saved that program.  Not sure if that was because I had to redo all my scenes or not.  Just in case others have this issue, just select a line in the program and select update and then save it.  Then it starts working.

Edited by btreinders
  • 2 weeks later...

@dbwarner5, thank you for this very detailed and helpful guide.

One thing that I ran into that would be useful to add to your list is that the Elk nodeserver is currently missing multiple functionalities that the Elk module has. Three examples that are affecting me: the ability to respond to Elk keypad button presses, the ability to send text to keypads, and the ability to control Elk attached thermostats. There is a list of requested Elk nodeserver features here: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-poly-ELK/issues/13

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I got everything working after migrating to Polisy. The only issue that is remaining is the Polisy ISY is not recognizing the Insteon status change when pressing the buttons on the keypads. I need to manual query each device to get the updated status. Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, RGKS said:

I got everything working after migrating to Polisy. The only issue that is remaining is the Polisy ISY is not recognizing the Insteon status change when pressing the buttons on the keypads. I need to manual query each device to get the updated status. Any thoughts?

I have about 20 keypads and they all work perfect. Maybe try a reboot of the ISY and power cycle the keypads, if that doesn’t work restore the PLM

2 hours ago, jkosharek said:

I have about 20 keypads and they all work perfect. Maybe try a reboot of the ISY and power cycle the keypads, if that doesn’t work restore the PLM

Well...I tried a PLM restore and restore devices which seems to have cleaned my PLM link table from 145 down to 38. I've cycled power to all my switches (Turned the power off to the house!) but the ISY is still not recording the status without a manual query. I just finished factory resetting all my switch and restore devices with the same outcome. Only thing I can think of is a new PLM but probably won't be able to get one for a while... 

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, RGKS said:

Well...I tried a PLM restore and restore devices which seems to have cleaned my PLM link table from 145 down to 38. I've cycled power to all my switches (Turned the power off to the house!) but the ISY is still not recording the status without a manual query. I just finished factory resetting all my switch and restore devices with the same outcome. Only thing I can think of is a new PLM but probably won't be able to get one for a while... 

I’d put in a ticket, UD support is quite good. Were the keypads working before you converted to IoP?

1 hour ago, jkosharek said:

I’d put in a ticket, UD support is quite good. Were the keypads working before you converted to IoP?

Yes, everything was working on my ISY 994i. I'm going to submit a ticket. My neibour has an almost identical setup as I and is having similar issues. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, RGKS said:

Your PLM link count sounds low. How many devices do you have?

A low link count could mean a failing PLM or the restore / restore file has issues.

Run the link count again as it can vary depending on the Polisys activity.

You can also try running a diagnostic | compare link count between a device and the Polisy to see if there's a link mismatch.

10 minutes ago, Techman said:

Your PLM link count sounds low. How many devices do you have?

A low link count could mean a failing PLM or the restore / restore file has issues.

Run the link count again as it can vary depending on the Polisys activity.

You can also try running a diagnostic | compare link count between a device and the Polisy to see if there's a link mismatch.

Ran the count again when the Polisy was at the ready state with not much activity and got 42. I have 37 devices. Will take a look at the diagnostic to see if I can troubleshoot any further. Thanks!

Your link count is too low for the number of devices, especially if you have keypads with numerous nodes. It's possible that your restore file had issues. Did you do an ISY backup before you migrated over to the Polisy

Try removing power from the PLM and Polisy, then power up the PLM wait about 30 seconds then power up the Polisy.

8 minutes ago, RGKS said:

Can you use a Insteon Portable USB Adapter 2448A7 as a PLM. I read on another forum as long as you have some Dual Band devices that it should work?

Yes, but being that's it's RF only you should have a dual band device close by to insure that the signal gets onto the powerline. I don't think you can do a ISY migration to the 24487A which means that you will have to build you system from scratch so I would focus on trying to clear up the PLM issue first.

Just now, Techman said:

Yes, but being that's it's RF only you should have a dual band device close by to insure that the signal gets onto the powerline. I don't think you can do a ISY migration to the 24487A which means that you will have to build you system from scratch so I would focus on trying to clear up the PLM issue first.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll also give your other instructions a try. I do have a ISY backup I can try.