Does polISY support Smart Switch 6 and Smart Switch 7 devices?

larryllix

47 minutes ago, ase said:

No one is proposing a database of every parameter for every device ever made. You seem to have an Issue with reading into things whatever you want. There is a difference in parameters that are of use within the software and many of the device setting based parameters. Those "thousands of parameters" you refer to are often for hard coded items that no users are going to change, nor are they intended to be modified by a user. Many of them cannot be modified via software anyway. There would be no reason to deal with those. Say a thermostat has a parameter to modify temp tolerance, this is set and validated, users are never going to need that in a nice drop down interface.

Next your not going to bother tracking parameters for devices that are not currently produced. 

You also wouldn't track parameters of "low quality" manufacturers. Many of these devices don't have quality documentation.

Next most manufacturers assign the parameters across their entire product line. Take zooz for instance every single one of their dimmers use the same parameters to assign dim speed. So once that pattern is established, unless the manufacturers makes a change, the parameters can be applied across their product lines.

As for why I referred to UDI in a proactive manner is because as stated above UDI would need to make a few small changes to ISY to allow for either an external database to be imported by users or allow for custom parameters to be added within a device.

Either way I have begun contacting manufacturers to get full copies of how they assign parameters. I guarantee you that each manufacturer has a methodology.

Now if you have suggestions on how I should format the resulting data I would love to hear it. It doesn't doesn't matter if UDI uses the data or not. There isn't a comprehensive listing of parameters for the commonly used Z-wave devices and most of them have documentation that includes this information but not presented in an understandable format for most.

I have helped author some of the world's most used database driven CMSs, I am well aware of how to deal with large data sets.

All the best.

Im reading into what the op was referring to from the original post which deals with what parameters are. If your referring to something different then we are talking about 2 different things.

Any database not designed to take into account future devices and changes is one set up to cause issues. As someone who's ran f500 company systems, I would think you would know this.

I dont have any ideas on how to do this database as I think its unnecessary and there are much simpler ways to accomplish most of what was spoken on. Obviously if others feel different, thats their feelings and I have no issues with them or anyone pursuing what they feel will make the ISY a better system. You say that you have the knowledge, experience, and desire so feel free to pursue it instead of simply talking about it. Thats the part that I speak about. People constantly saying what someone else should be doing without taking any amount of time to see what it takes to accomplish any given task.

Archived