Zwave 700 Series Tips and tricks

lilyoyo1

18 minutes ago, Dub said:

My locks did show up.  They were added as encrypted because when they failed to add securely I got forced to add them again.  I'm using Kwikset.  I did have to take a couple of locks off the door to get them closer to the controller, consistently get the lock to add securely.  I guess I added them with S0.  I havent looked at my Qolsys version.    I was also able to see the locks on Apple Home through the Home Assistant, Home Kit integration(screenshot is from the orphaned config I havent removed yet).  I was also forced to add each lock separately in HA, as I understood it because the locks needed their own integration for security.

image.png.d937ca382d48aea64d29c7f018fc63fb.pngimage.png.07325ce67638adba24017df621bd2f6e.png

I'm referring to qolsys being the primary. The locks will add to the ish (if it's a secondary but will not update. 

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Once polisy supports S2 encryption, you may be able to get your locks to show up in polisy (at least i hope so). 

@lilyoyo1I was answering the statement about Polisy Supporting S2 Encryption to get the locks to show up in Polisy.  To be clear the locks were added to the Qolsys, Polisy was the secondary controller for Z-Wave, then I had to add the locks to include them in the Polisy.  They were added securely to both controllers as fas as I could tell.  I see now after your reply you were talking about Polisy being Primary.  Wanted to be clear for anyone that may read this in the future.

44 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm referring to qolsys being the primary. The locks will add to the ish (if it's a secondary but will not update. 

I'm following you now.  

Ultimately, I'm not sure I want my security and automation tied so closely.  I mainly wanted to see lock status to help with occupancy based automations.  I remember initially when you posted this you had a contact at Qolsys so I mentioned Qolsys here. As always I appreciate your insight and answers.  This thread was one of my threads I used when doing research for what my next move was when my Hub light went red and when I was experimenting with the secondary controllers.  Very helpful info!

One last note, Qolsys does show an option in the advanced features to make it the secondary controller, but I had to enable to Advanced Z-Wave features to see this, but it does not work.  An Alarm.com partner had a post explaining that Qolsys will not work as secondary after talking with Qolsys support. Have an option in the menu that does not work makes the Qolsys product a little more confusing in that regard albeit it limited with Z-Wave imho.  It makes total sense to me alarm panels stay primary with Z-Wave, it just wasn't a good fit for what I wanted.

24 minutes ago, Dub said:

@lilyoyo1I was answering the statement about Polisy Supporting S2 Encryption to get the locks to show up in Polisy.  To be clear the locks were added to the Qolsys, Polisy was the secondary controller for Z-Wave, then I had to add the locks to include them in the Polisy.  They were added securely to both controllers as fas as I could tell.  I see now after your reply you were talking about Polisy being Primary.  Wanted to be clear for anyone that may read this in the future.

I'm following you now.  

Ultimately, I'm not sure I want my security and automation tied so closely.  I mainly wanted to see lock status to help with occupancy based automations.  I remember initially when you posted this you had a contact at Qolsys so I mentioned Qolsys here. As always I appreciate your insight and answers.  This thread was one of my threads I used when doing research for what my next move was when my Hub light went red and when I was experimenting with the secondary controllers.  Very helpful info!

One last note, Qolsys does show an option in the advanced features to make it the secondary controller, but I had to enable to Advanced Z-Wave features to see this, but it does not work.  An Alarm.com partner had a post explaining that Qolsys will not work as secondary after talking with Qolsys support. Have an option in the menu that does not work makes the Qolsys product a little more confusing in that regard albeit it limited with Z-Wave imho.  It makes total sense to me alarm panels stay primary with Z-Wave, it just wasn't a good fit for what I wanted.

I'm glad i could help. Polisy currently uses S0 security when adding locks. There is no issues with adding locks that I've seen to polisy so you'd be able to add to either of them. 

I have a contact as I'm a qolsys dealer. While I'll still use the elk for specific use cases, qolysys is about 95% of what i do now. 

Security doesn't necessarily need to be a major part of automation. The only thing I'd want it for is to enable/disable my alarm system when I come and go. The good thing with qolsys is that you can use your phones Bluetooth connection to disable the system when you come home (that's what I do). For those without a system, I'll use the locks with it as well so that the system can lock the doors and close the garage doors too. 

Edited by lilyoyo1

@Dave-N1DCHAs you can see from our posts the Z-Wave secondary controller topic is confusing and that’s why I think we both want to see the article.  I haven’t found anything good about and thought I would share a picture of my Qolsys where it shows it will shift to being secondary but it will NOT!

3 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Ah, thank you for reminding me: S2 is already fully tested!!

Great news!  Thank you for keeping us in the loop!

16D72A78-9914-4901-9D72-767A73B54A9B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

An, and one more reminder: you can use Smart Start: use QR Codes to include Z-Wave devices.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am bit confused...... Are you talking about IoP or Eisy, because I don't see this in IoP

IMG_0112.jpg

Edited by asbril

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@asbril, IoP running on Polisy or eisy. 

With kind regards,
Michel

How come I see "   The ISY does not support S2    "  and where can I find   "        you can use Smart Start: use QR Codes to include Z-Wave devices.     ".   ?

I must be missing something somewhere....

3 minutes ago, asbril said:

How come I see "   The ISY does not support S2    "  and where can I find   "        you can use Smart Start: use QR Codes to include Z-Wave devices.     ".   ?

I must be missing something somewhere....

It's probably firmware that has not been released yet. Plus I'm assuming he's referring to their own board 

Edited by lilyoyo1

6 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It's probably firmware that has not been released yet. Plus I'm assuming he's referring to their own board 

Eisy is about a month away........☺️

Edited by asbril

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, upstatemike said:

I think I am going to give up on Z-Wave and return my small test area (about 20 devices) to Insteon. Z-Wave just consumes too much effort every time I want to change something and I still can't get groups and associations (direct or programmatic) to work the way I want them to.

Just an update to my own post. I completed the transition back to Insteon and the result is better than I expected. Everything is configured the way I want (not even possible with Z-Wave) and it just works. Everything is link based so it will keep on working even if my ISY goes offline for some reason. This is what I expect from a lighting system. Hopefully Matter will do as well in this regard.

Edited by upstatemike
typo