Polisy Z-wave dongle not responding

Techman

@Michel Kohanim

Yes, it's the Zooz 700 w/yellow cap.

Polisy power supply is 1.5 amps

Note: Z-wave was working until recently.

UPDATE: I thought I would try a factory reset on the dongle but noticed that the only way to factory reset it is through the host software which I'm unable to access. Not sure if the dongle died or the issue is with the Polisy

The Z-wave dongle is now working. The log show that it stopped about 1/25, possibly after I did a Polisy package update.

I unchecked Insteon (I don't and didn't have a PLM connected) and rebooted the Polisy which now shows Z-wave as active.  It's possible that one of the Polisy updates didn't like Insteon being checked without a PLM attached and had an adverse effect on Z-wave.

15 hours ago, Techman said:

It's possible that one of the Polisy updates didn't like Insteon being checked without a PLM attached and had an adverse effect on Z-wave.

I don't think so. You can always look at /var/isy/FILES/LOG/debug.log to see whether or not the issue was connectivity with the dongle.

With kind regards,
Michel

11 hours ago, Techman said:

Do I access the log file via Telnet or ??

Use SSH and the 'tail' command.  This command line string will give you the last 100 lines of the log:

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo tail -100 /var/isy/FILES/LOG/debug.log

This command line string will give you a real-time scrolling view of the log:

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo tail -f /var/isy/FILES/LOG/debug.log

Evaluating what you see in the log will be another issue...

You'll be asked for the admin password for your Polisy when you run these command strings for the first time, and possibly subsequent times, depending on how much time has passed since the last run.

UPDATE:  After turning off  Polisy I switched the ZOOZ stick and the USBPLM ports in the Polisy.  I also cleared the java cache.  Now the sticks and devices work again in Polisy. I don't know which did the trick but I'm now good to go.

@Michel Kohanim

After zooz stick update to 7.17 reinserting the stick when polisy was off, that I am also getting the "Z-wave dongle not responding" error.  I have a USB PLM installed. I unchecked the Insteon box in configuration, rebooted and still have the same error. 

image.thumb.png.3c75266b912e8f1f11910f10f3565ebd.png

On 2/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, Techman said:

Please let me know if you're able to reproduce so I can eliminate it being a possible issue on my end

Yes, for sure.

15 hours ago, nadler said:

After zooz stick update to 7.17 reinserting the stick when polisy was off, that I am also getting the "Z-wave dongle not responding" error.  I have a USB PLM installed. I unchecked the Insteon box in configuration, rebooted and still have the same error. 

Unfortunately, we have never ever tested the Zooz with any other firmware except for the 7.15 that comes with it. As such, I am not so sure where the issue can be. 

With kind regards,
Michel

1 hour ago, nadler said:

Thanks.  Just a note to say that the event viewer indicates unrecognized zwave firmware.  This makes sense considering you didn't test yet with the newest version.

I see the same unrecognized message but I haven't upgraded.  I'm still on Zooz 7.15

14 hours ago, mmb said:

I see the same unrecognized message but I haven't upgraded.  I'm still on Zooz 7.15

For now that's normal as the Polisy isn't able to read the Zooz firmware. That's something that may be corrected in a later Polisy firmware release

On 2/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, Techman said:

After running several tests I can confirm that Z-wave will not work on the Polisy if you don't have a PLM attached and the Insteon box is checked in which case I get the "Z-wave dongle not responding." message

Haven't been able to reproduce the problem, but, if you have Insteon Enabled with no PLM, it may take a couple of minutes or more before Z-Wave is detected and available.

4 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

Haven't been able to reproduce the problem, but, if you have Insteon Enabled with no PLM, it may take a couple of minutes or more before Z-Wave is detected and available.

Thanks Chris. Now I'm also unable to reproduce the problem. I wonder if one of the recent Polisy package updates corrected the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

For others who may experience the "Zwave dongle not responding" with the Zooz zst10 700 USB stick: There is not quite enough space for the stick to be plugged directly into the polisy and maintain a consistent electrical connection. The USB stick is rubbing on the power connector(my polisy power adapter cam with a coax adapter that adds extra thickness where the power cord plugs into the polisy),  and it seems to be held away from plugging fully in due to the edge of the RJ45 connector. The amount of mechanical interference seems small, but I am convinced it was causing random not responding problems due to the USB stick being on the edge of connecting/not connecting. I have purchased an angled USB adapter that others have recommended in another thread (here), and that seems to have solved the problem. 

Archived