Going on a treasure hunt

nitenshinarmor

This is absolutely nuts.  NO professional organization places official firmware in a forum!  It should be on a software download page.  No one should have to search and search and search....etc to find the firmware they need.  Universal Devices Inc. needs to get this in check.  A forum is a place anyone can post something.  Just like I'm doing.  How do I know when I think I found the firmware I need, I haven't downloaded something poisonous for my ISY.  Besides, finding the firmware shouldn't be this hard!

It isn't hard.  The new firmware has been in essentially the same place for many years.   It isn't in some random post, it's in an area called "Software Releases and Updates".   Chris Jahn is Chris Jahn.    All it requires is that you have the ability to read English.  There really is no call for insults and yelling just because you encountered a format that is different from your expectations.  

Note: I am not now, nor have I ever been, affiliated with UDI, except as a satisfied customer. 

1 hour ago, nitenshinarmor said:

This is absolutely nuts.  NO professional organization places official firmware in a forum!  It should be on a software download page.  No one should have to search and search and search....etc to find the firmware they need.  Universal Devices Inc. needs to get this in check.  A forum is a place anyone can post something.  Just like I'm doing.  How do I know when I think I found the firmware I need, I haven't downloaded something poisonous for my ISY.  Besides, finding the firmware shouldn't be this hard!

Let me get this straight. You're complaining about hard to find software when the software is literally the very first post in the current releases and bug reports section. It's obviously not that hard to find. Even within the topic itself, the very first post is highly detailed with instructions and written by a person with Admin in the title. Whats the chances of UDI spamming their own customers in that manner? If you want to rant just to rant so be it. But at least rant about something that actually makes

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 10:04 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

Let me get this straight. You're complaining about hard to find software when the software is literally the very first post in the current releases and bug reports section. It's obviously not that hard to find. Even within the topic itself, the very first post is highly detailed with instructions and written by a person with Admin in the title. Whats the chances of UDI spamming their own customers in that manner? If you want to rant just to rant so be it. But at least rant about something that actually makes

Provide a link to what you speak about.   Again, I could not find it.   As I stated in my previous statement, no other company post updates in a forum.   I have never dealt with this before.   I have every right to rant!  Isn't that what forums are for?  BTW- I literally went back and looked at first posts and still not there.   I don't live in these forums.  I have a life and finding software support should be more organized than being posted in a forum.   Regardless of your opinion, there must be reasons companies don't post firmware in forums besides UDI.  I can google about any software and find updates besides UDI.  Why is that?  

2 minutes ago, nitenshinarmor said:

Provide a link to what you speak about.   Again, I could not find it.   As I stated in my previous statement, no other company post updates in a forum.   I have never dealt with this before.   I have every right to rant!  Isn't that what forums are for?  BTW- I literally went back and looked at first posts and still not there.   I don't live in these forums.  I have a life and finding software support should be more organized than being posted in a forum.   Regardless of your opinion, there must be reasons companies don't post firmware in forums besides UDI.  I can google about any software and find updates besides UDI.  Why is that?  

Like I said, very first post. One only has to take a second to look.

image.thumb.png.cb17148d7ed6a602f3667eaf5b10be4a.png

18 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Like I said, very first post. One only has to take a second to look.

image.thumb.png.cb17148d7ed6a602f3667eaf5b10be4a.png

It seems you think you know more than you actually do.   You make assumptions when you don't know the facts.   I was looking for 5.3.0 and no it's not there.   So back to your know it all comment, what's your point?  That you don't know what your talking about and you have a need to trash folks on their rants?  

Hi @nitenshinarmor, you have valid points and most of our previous firmware updates did not require the user to download firmware. If you are upgrading the 4.x branch of ISY994 firmware the update is done automatically from the Admin Console. The same is now true for 5.x upgrades on Polisy.  Migrating to 5.x from 4.x requires manual intervention and may require a Z-Wave hardware update, so an automatic update is not available.  For users who want features of 5.x without the purchase of Polisy there is the option of a manual firmware update. 

10 minutes ago, nitenshinarmor said:

It seems you think you know more than you actually do.   You make assumptions when you don't know the facts.   I was looking for 5.3.0 and no it's not there.   So back to your know it all comment, what's your point?  That you don't know what your talking about and you have a need to trash folks on their rants?  

You're right. I dont know everything since Im not a mind reader. Not once did you say you were looking for 5.3..0. Maybe if you had provided all the information that you wanted from start, all of this couldve been avoided. But then again, What I said still holds true. Very first post under previous releases. One only has to look. You spent more time trying to argue your point than you probably did searching for something so easily found.

image.thumb.png.9c8483629328eabd5238516d22ed3ac6.png

@Javi you are a saint.

@nitenshinarmor I am aware of at least one other home automation company that routinely provides firmware via official support forum and even a facebook group. I don't find Microsoft knowledge base any easier to use than this forum (it also has software for download).  So why don't you curb your hostility.   People have helped you despite your gratuitous insults.   They may not do so again.  I certainly wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You're right. I dont know everything since Im not a mind reader. Not once did you say you were looking for 5.3..0. Maybe if you had provided all the information that you wanted from start, all of this couldve been avoided. But then again, What I said still holds true. Very first post under previous releases. One only has to look. You spent more time trying to argue your point than you probably did searching for something so easily found.

image.thumb.png.9c8483629328eabd5238516d22ed3ac6.png

Kudos to you.   Give yourself a pat on your back.  I wasn't the one who started the argument.   You started with me by belittling me.   You just got back what you started. 

1 minute ago, stillwater said:

@Javi you are a saint.

@nitenshinarmor I am aware of at least one other home automation company that routinely provides firmware via official support forum and even a facebook group. I don't find Microsoft knowledge base any easier to use than this forum (it also has software for download).  So why don't you curb your hostility.   People have helped you despite your gratuitous insults.   They may not do so again.  I certainly wouldn't.

Since you think you have took the time to find I was the one who did the insulting when in fact I only returned the insults that was slung at me first.   Do you homework.  

1 minute ago, nitenshinarmor said:

Since you think you have took the time to find I was the one who did the insulting when in fact I only returned the insults that was slung at me first.   Do you homework.  

I guess you didnt see your approach from the start. Its all good. You got what you needed. Good luck in the future like stillwater said.

Just now, stillwater said:

"I wasn't the one who started the argument"

Go read your initial post where you said essentially that UDI wasn't a professional organization based on your false statement that NO professional organization places firmware on a forum.  

That pointed at an organization not at an individual.   Again,  5.3.0 is an hour search when it shouldn't be.   If those that belittle me works with udi, then that's there right but again, unprofessional.   But if it offends you when you don't agree then that's your problem and not mine.  Don't belittle me because you don't agree.   That's my opinion.  You maybe correct that some professional organizations may post firmware on forums but in my 33 year career, I have never encounter this.   

30 minutes ago, nitenshinarmor said:

That pointed at an organization not at an individual.   Again,  5.3.0 is an hour search when it shouldn't be.   If those that belittle me works with udi, then that's there right but again, unprofessional.   But if it offends you when you don't agree then that's your problem and not mine.  Don't belittle me because you don't agree.   That's my opinion.  You maybe correct that some professional organizations may post firmware on forums but in my 33 year career, I have never encounter this.   

You must simply want to argue.  Do you see admin or employee under either of our titles? When it comes to those who works for UDI, they have a badge that states they're an employee or admin. So yes, they were professional in their response to you.

Once again. A little bit of reading can go a long way. I'm out. Argue with yourself. 

For the record: I am not responding to @nitenshinarmor  now or ever again.   I consider the posts made under this user name to be abusive. 

For anyone who happens here by accident or looking for firmware:  If you browse the forum (using the Browse option on at the top left  of the menu), you will see the third major division of the forum is called "Software Releases and Updates."   This section has three subsections:  the first is "Current Releases and Bug Reports, "  where the current versions of firmware can be found immediately, and the third is "Previous Releases" where earlier versions can be easily found.  It takes maybe 5 minutes the first time you look and a minute or so the next time.  

Generally people should use the latest firmware except if they have the older zwave system  -- versions past 5.0.16c (if I remember right) are incompatible with the older zwave dongles.   This is all clearly explained in the relevant sections.  So with the exception of version 5.0.16c there is almost no reason to look for old firmware.  Updating to the newer Zwave dongle is not expensive and opens your system up to more modern zwave devices so most will want to do this.  (5.0.16c is a dead end withotu further support).  Anyone trying to help with troubleshooting will suggest upgrading to the latest firmware as the first step after ensuring the admin console and firmware versions match. 

With the rise of Polisy UDI might take a look at emphasizing that (for example) Build 5.3.4 is for the ISY994 in the title of the release thread.  And as others have noted the "test build" language, though responsive to the technical status under zwave certification, might lead some to think it is less stable than it is or to look for a  stable version elsewhere.

Certainly anyone who is confused by any of this and who asks for help on this forum should receive it -- better if they don't lead off with an insult. 

Note again: I am not now nor have I ever been associated with UDI except as a satisfied customer. 

I have received very useful help from people on this forum, and hope that it can be preserved as a constructive environment and not one where people come to to pick fights. 

1 minute ago, stillwater said:

For the record: I am not responding to @nitenshinarmor  now or ever again.   I consider the posts made under this user name to be abusive. 

For anyone who happens here by accident or looking for firmware:  If you browse the forum (using the Browse option on at the top left  of the menu), you will see the third major division of the forum is called "Software Releases and Updates."   This section has three subsections:  the first is "Current Releases and Bug Reports, "  where the current versions of firmware can be found immediately, and the third is "Previous Releases" where earlier versions can be easily found.  It takes maybe 5 minutes the first time you look and a minute or so the next time.  

Generally people should use the latest firmware except if they have the older zwave system  -- versions past 5.0.16c (if I remember right) are incompatible with the older zwave dongles.   This is all clearly explained in the relevant sections.  So with the exception of version 5.0.16c there is almost no reason to look for old firmware.  Updating to the newer Zwave dongle is not expensive and opens your system up to more modern zwave devices so most will want to do this.  (5.0.16c is a dead end withotu further support).  Anyone trying to help with troubleshooting will suggest upgrading to the latest firmware as the first step after ensuring the admin console and firmware versions match. 

With the rise of Polisy UDI might take a look at emphasizing that (for example) Build 5.3.4 is for the ISY994 in the title of the release thread.  And as others have noted the "test build" language, though responsive to the technical status under zwave certification, might lead some to think it is less stable than it is or to look for a  stable version elsewhere.

Certainly anyone who is confused by any of this and who asks for help on this forum should receive it -- better if they don't lead of with an insult. 

Note again: I am not now nor have I ever been associated with UDI except as a satisfied customer. 

I have received very useful help from people on this forum, and hope that it can be preserved as a constructive environment and not one where people come to to pick fights. 

Well said!!!

5 minutes ago, stillwater said:

Certainly anyone who is confused by any of this and who asks for help on this forum should receive it -- better if they don't lead off with an insult. 

Well said.  At least the first sentence anyways.  The rest is not worth my time.   You jumped down my throat based upon an assumption you made and then blame me for giving you back what you slung at me.   I am very pleased you are not replying to me because all you had was demonized comments. 

4 minutes ago, nitenshinarmor said:

Well said.  At least the first sentence anyways.  The rest is not worth my time.   You jumped down my throat based upon an assumption you made and then blame me for giving you back what you slung at me.   I am very pleased you are not replying to me because all you had was demonized comments. 

OK. I understand your point of view but that is the way it has always been here. This is the main channel UDI and many users have been using for years and it works just as well as others. You just need to get familiar with this method and you will be fine!

Cool your jets, ignore the trolls, snipers and/or whatever else you want to call them. It has been a bad two years and people are feeling the stress and it comes out in surprise places. I can attest without going into my own near disasters... I'll let you just imagine the worse and leave it at that.

Anyway, let it go for now and other (yours) views are always typically welcome here. I have seen a lot worse forums...believe me. Get the info that you need. That is what the forum is for. UDI is a good company and they listen to the users here. I have experienced many suggestions worked into the product, despite all the counter snipes I have seen and you will occasionally see also.

Welcome to the forums and I hope to see more of you! (that doesn't mean naked :) )

I believe a lot of folks got their panties in a wad when I said "NO professional organization places official firmware in a forum.  It should be on a software download page"  Seriously, a software download page makes perfectly good sense.   No where did I say they were bad people.  Again, assumptions being made.  They have helped me many times before.   Just because they have been doing it for years doesn't make it an effective way to get firmware, especially for those who are new or rarely use the forums.  I apologize if I offended anyone.  I only lash back when I have been attacked in one form or another.   

@nitenshinarmor,

1. You have valid points
2. It used to be on the support page but we removed on purpose simply because it would get out of synch with everything else. Adding a link to Quick Links would be a good idea though
3. A fraction of your valuable time would have been spent had you just submitted a ticket or sent email to support

Whether or not we are a professional organization is just moot. At this juncture - and after 15 years - I think we have proven ourselves and, just like anything else in life, we just cannot make everyone happy. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Archived