Smarthome forum appears to be offline

gregkinney

11 minutes ago, Athlon said:

Given how many folks from the now defunct 'Hub' community are showing up here, I hope the uniformed are not linking UD to Smarthome and/or Nokia.

I am absolutely trying to literally link Insteon to UD. Reputationally, Im just looking for a solution.I just hope that the installed base is large enough for someone to offer a turnkey replacement. How Insteon handled this is imaterial, I just need a solution to get my installs to work. BTW, serial plms are going for $600 on ebay.

George

3 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

I manage three homes with insteon/hub/servers/iphone app. Can someone please explain the architecture of UD/PLM/... Is the 2245 hub still involved or am I creating the ability to interface with the insteon devices directly to obtain local wireless control and then possible cloud control outside my LAN?

Thanks,

George

This information was provided by @lilyoyo1

30 minutes ago, Javi said:

There is a non-published local API for the Insteon Hub, I assume the same for the Nokia hub.  Some of the local API was once posted on the INSTEON Australia site for tasker integration.  I built an app a while back which has a small subset of local control for voice commands.  I'll have to dig through my old PC hard drives to see if I saved all API calls.  This  could be an option for local control, but could be difficult to capture anything else without a working app.

I haven't used it but somehow the PyInsteon project works with "This is a Python package to interface with an Insteon Modem. It has been tested to work with most USB or RS-232 serial based devices such as the 2413U, 2412S, 2448A7 and Hub models 2242 and 2245." (source)

I believe the Home Assistant Insteon integration uses that code.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

I manage three homes with insteon/hub/servers/iphone app. Can someone please explain the architecture of UD/PLM/... Is the 2245 hub still involved or am I creating the ability to interface with the insteon devices directly to obtain local wireless control and then possible cloud control outside my LAN?

Thanks,

George

Universal devices and their ish/polisy has nothing to do with INSTEON and their hub. They are 2 separate controllers from 2 different companies. 

You can purchase an isy994 and use the INSTEON 2413s PLM in order to connect your devices and control them. Otherwise, you would purchase UDI's polisy (recommended) and use either a 2413s, 2413u, or 2448a7 to it to control your INSTEON devices. The hub would not have anything to do with either scenario

26 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

This site is still running. Should we hold out hope that Stargate controllers could make a comeback?

http://www.jdstechnologies.com/stargate.html

I think it is just free advertising for the Smarthome.com domain name which might be the most valuable asset that is left.

I wanted one of those once... never coughed up the cash tho

1 minute ago, Teken said:

This information was provided by @lilyoyo1

Yes I read this and ordered some PLM's and see that the Polisy is unavailable but I don't understand it architecturally.  Does The plm interface with the hub or the individual devices? How is the PLM or UD device programmed and does it require an always on local host computer or once programmed its self contained with an ethernet port or wifi to get on the interweb for cloud control? Im new here and have never used UD.

Thanks,

George 

9 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

I am absolutely trying to literally link Insteon to UD. Reputationally, Im just looking for a solution.I just hope that the installed base is large enough for someone to offer a turnkey replacement. How Insteon handled this is imaterial, I just need a solution to get my installs to work. BTW, serial plms are going for $600 on ebay.

George

When I used the term 'linking' in my post I meant by reputation. I was not talking about the hardware or software.

9 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Universal devices and their ish/polisy has nothing to do with INSTEON and their hub. They are 2 separate controllers from 2 different companies. 

You can purchase an isy994 and use the INSTEON 2413s PLM in order to connect your devices and control them. Otherwise, you would purchase UDI's polisy (recommended) and use either a 2413s, 2413u, or 2448a7 to it to control your INSTEON devices. The hub would not have anything to do with either scenario

How long before Polisy is available for purchase? 

George

1 minute ago, GeorgeLG said:

Yes I read this and ordered some PLM's and see that the Polisy is unavailable but I don't understand it architecturally.  Does The plm interface with the hub or the individual devices? How is the PLM or UD device programmed and does it require an always on local host computer or once programmed its self contained with an ethernet port or wifi to get on the interweb for cloud control? Im new here and have never used UD.

Thanks,

George 

Both the the ISY / Polisy are Local First controllers in their default state. They have the ability to connect to other Cloud First services if required via their Node Servers.

Your old Insteon Hub is a brick and not involved anywhere if you go this route.

Both ISY-994 Series Controllers & Polisy do not require a 24.7.365 computer to be run as they are a self contained computer system.  

4 minutes ago, Athlon said:

When I used the term 'linking' in my post I meant by reputation. I was not talking about the hardware or software.

If the installed Insteon base is large enough this is an opportunity for reputation enhancement if managed properly.

George

7 minutes ago, Teken said:

Both the the ISY / Polisy are Local First controllers in their default state. They have the ability to connect to other Cloud First services if required via their Node Servers.

Both ISY-994 Series Controllers & Polisy do not require a 24.7.365 computer to be run as they are a self contained computer system.  

OK thank you.

What insteon devices can be controlled with a 2448A7/Polisy? I have switches, dimmers, cameras and thermostats.

Any idea when Polisy will be available for purchase?

Thanks,

George

5 minutes ago, Teken said:

I have found Insteon hub to have a really powerful radio and serve as an excellent access point.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I set up some Insteon thermostats at my church activities building without any other Insteon devices.  Initially, I used a standard Insteon access point, but it had really bad com, even with several of them.  Then I switched to a single hub and com is now perfect.  I never configured the hub, it is just a plc/radio interface.  The first hub did did.  Insteon replaced it and did not ask for it back, so I played, replaced the caps, and it works again.  I can't imagine what might have been if Insteon had just spent 10 cents more per device and used top of the line caps.  Saving those 10 cents might be what cost them the company.

1 minute ago, apostolakisl said:

I have found Insteon hub to have a really powerful radio and serve as an excellent access point.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I set up some Insteon thermostats at my church activities building without any other Insteon devices.  Initially, I used a standard Insteon access point, but it had really bad com, even with several of them.  Then I switched to a single hub and com is now perfect.  I never configured the hub, it is just a plc/radio interface.  The first hub did did.  Insteon replaced it and did not ask for it back, so I played, replaced the caps, and it works again.  I can't imagine what might have been if Insteon had just spent 10 cents more per device and used top of the line caps.  Saving those 10 cents might be what cost them the company.

Can you please explain this architecturally.

George

4 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

OK thank you.

What insteon devices can be controlled with a 2448A7/Polisy? I have switches, dimmers, cameras and thermostats.

Thanks,

George

All existing Insteon hardware is supported. I would suggest you reach out to UDI via support ticket and they will give you a ETA.

3 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

OK thank you.

Thanks,

George

Virtually everything can work with ISY/Polisy.  I know a few of the newest and unusual devices have limited functionality because Insteon refused to give the specs to UDI and, while UDI has the ability, they just did not want to spend the time reverse engineering them.  I personally don't have many unusual devices, all the various Insteon wall switches and plug in lamp/appliance modules work.  Fan links work, water sensors, motion sensors, and that wraps up what I own.

3 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

This is true the last generation of their HUB incorporated a stronger RF and better antenna's. Regardless, given their isn't any cloud support the Hub is a brick in terms of schedules, timers, adding / removing devices.

Any links created prior to the shut down of the cloud service will continue to operate as it does for any stand alone system.

As others have stated and I will affirm this is why Cloud First services really can't be used in a serious way as it relates to a persons home.

You literally have a ticking time bomb ready to go off anytime . . .

8 minutes ago, Teken said:

All existing Insteon hardware is supported. I would suggest you reach out to UDI via support ticket and they will give you a ETA.

OK. In the meantime I need to scour my inventory to see if I have a serial PLM that might work with an older ISY controller so that I can rehabilitate at least one of the houses that I manage.

2 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

He answered that before and seemed pretty adamant that they wouldn't be adding support for it. Maybe with them during down that may change. Would be nice

Well I'd estimate there are several hundred hub users looking at HA right now.

I literally have never seen so much activity wrt to Insteon Hub and people looking for solutions.

If the Hub buys us a few more years of Insteon why not UDI?

7 minutes ago, Teken said:

This is true the last generation of their HUB incorporated a stronger RF and better antenna's. Regardless, given their isn't any cloud support the Hub is a brick in terms of schedules, timers, adding / removing devices.

Any links created prior to the shut down of the cloud service will continue to operate as it does for any stand alone system.

As others have stated and I will affirm this is why Cloud First services really can't be used in a serious way as it relates to a persons home.

You literally have a ticking time bomb ready to go off anytime . . .

You need to stop thinking of it as a hub.  It is an access point.  The best access point, better than the access point that is called an access point.  I just stumbled across it because I needed some lamplincs and someone was selling a brand new kit of 2 lamplincs and a hub for less than the two lamplincs cost by themselves.  So then I had the hub, just for the heck of it tried using it as an access point and was pleasantly surprised.    Been running now for maybe 5 years, maybe more as the only plc/radio interface at my church activities building.  The ISY and PLM are in a different building and the plc runs to building number two by what basically amounts to a 150 foot extension cord where it plugs into the hub.  Without the hub, there is zero com at building 2.  Neither plc or radio is detectable in building 2 without it.

1 minute ago, mmb said:

Well I'd estimate there are several hundred hub users looking at HA right now.

I literally have never seen so much activity wrt to Insteon Hub and people looking for solutions.

If the Hub buys us a few more years of Insteon why not UDI?

I'm with you on that one. Great way to move a product and capture new users before someone else does

2 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

He answered that before and seemed pretty adamant that they wouldn't be adding support for it. Maybe with them during down that may change. Would be nice

I'm provisioning a RPI with HA and have already tested access to the Hub by IP Port and User/PW pasted on the bottom - it works.

1 minute ago, apostolakisl said:

You need to stop thinking of it as a hub.  It is an access point.  The best access point, better than the access point that is called an access point.  I just stumbled across it because I needed some lamplincs and someone was selling a brand new kit of 2 lamplincs and a hub for less than the two lamplincs cost by themselves.  So then I had the hub, just for the heck of it tried using it as an access point and was pleasantly surprised.    Been running now for maybe 5 years, maybe more as the only plc/radio interface at my church activities building.  The ISY and PLM are in a different building and the plc runs to building number two by what basically amounts to a 150 foot extension cord where it plugs into the hub.  Without the hub, there is zero com at building 2.  Neither plc or radio is detectable in building 2 without it.

I get what you mean by access point. However Tekken is looking at things in regards to home use. Most likely, existing users already have a strong mesh where the power of the hub isnt as much of a factor

Archived