Insteon HUB (2245) cloud servers shut down

MrBill

6 minutes ago, kyderr said:

This makes me wonder,  If this company is defunct, then who holds the intellectual assets? Richman Capital Partners?  

This is what is strange to me. The assets of this company are probably minimal, except the IP (intellectual property) and URLs. They are worth something and maybe the tooling that is probably in China. I think the bank came calling on a note and Rob exited the back door ahead of them. Follow the money... 

29 minutes ago, kyderr said:

Does a hub out of the box act like a repeater? That was kind of the insteon(off) idea.

I have an older hub from the time I was a beta tester, and they gave me a newer Hub.  $250 sounds good.  It's weird that the exact device that no longer works as advertised is now more popular.

Wow.  If I ever become a CEO, You guys remind me to be a decent human being.  (Remember Caeser, thou art mortal)  

This makes me wonder,  If this company is defunct, then who holds the intellectual assets? Richman Capital Partners?  

I wonder how much could I get for my Nokia hub ? ?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Supply and demand.  He can ask whatever he wants.  Lets see if it actually sells. 

I'm sure that's the same reason the guy selling Insteon USB 2448A7 for $40 pulled his ad due to an error in the listing.  Error being, demand dictated more than $40.

29 minutes ago, dotScott said:

Supply and demand.  He can ask whatever he wants.  Lets see if it actually sells. 

I'm sure that's the same reason the guy selling Insteon USB 2448A7 for $40 pulled his ad due to an error in the listing.  Error being, demand dictated more than $40.

Looks like that($1,100) is what the bid is already up to..   ? looks like I will need to dig mine out!

Here is a bit better price (still quite high).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275278565956?hash=item4017e19244:g:CmoAAOSwmrNiXulU

I noticed Ebay prices for Insteon switches etc. have come down now... probably not as many want to purchase them anymore no knowing that the company is gone. Other than using an Insteon Hub, PLMs though are a requirement to keep existing Insteon functioning however. I have 2 spare 2413U in box and a USB 2448A7 so I am OK.

24 minutes ago, brians said:

Here is a bit better price (still quite high).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275278565956?hash=item4017e19244:g:CmoAAOSwmrNiXulU

I noticed Ebay prices for Insteon switches etc. have come down now... probably not as many want to purchase them anymore no knowing that the company is gone. Other than using an Insteon Hub, PLMs though are a requirement to keep existing Insteon functioning however. I have 2 spare 2413U in box and a USB 2448A7 so I am OK.

I think it's supply and demand. There are so many on there for sale no one feels a need to over pay. Even on forums, so many are talking about ripping out their system, buyers know more will come down the pipeline

7 minutes ago, mapeter said:

PC Mag: https://www.pcmag.com/news/smart-home-company-insteon-shuts-down-servers-without-warning

i wish more of them would write about scumbag Rob Lilleness first, erasing his failure from linkedin and then yesterday trying to disguise/hide his linkedin by removing the pic and editing the name.

Okay folks, quick q if I may:

I found a 2245-222 in my Insteon stock. It was purchased as a bulk lot with other stuff, I powered it up but never configured it. What is the process for me to resell, I DON'T reset it (?), but it was not linked to me before. Powers up red solid LED.

17 minutes ago, mango said:

I DON'T reset it (?),

Doesn't matter... the "Don't factory reset" warning is because people initially thought that's what they should do.  BUT it's much easier to add to Home Assistant if they don't clear out the links.   A unit that's being sold can be reset.

2 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Doesn't matter... the "Don't factory reset" warning is because people initially thought that's what they should do.  BUT it's much easier to add to Home Assistant if they don't clear out the links.   A unit that's being sold can be reset.

Got it, thanks MrBill.

30 minutes ago, mango said:

Okay folks, quick q if I may:

I found a 2245-222 in my Insteon stock. It was purchased as a bulk lot with other stuff, I powered it up but never configured it. What is the process for me to resell, I DON'T reset it (?), but it was not linked to me before. Powers up red solid LED.

If you have an account on Ebay sell it there. I put mine up for a 3 day auction at $100 with a buy-it-now for $250.  It went in 1 hour for $250. People willing to pay these prices want it now, not in 7 days. In 7 days the prices may have crashed as people come to their senses. It cost ~$13 to sell it and they paid the shipping. 

Also, list it as "New(other)" and explain why you don't have a box, but it powers up and is unused. There seems to be a big difference in new vs. used $$ and for good reason.

51 minutes ago, LFMc said:

If you have an account on Ebay sell it there. I put mine up for a 3 day auction at $100 with a buy-it-now for $250.  It went in 1 hour for $250. People willing to pay these prices want it now, not in 7 days. In 7 days the prices may have crashed as people come to their senses. It cost ~$13 to sell it and they paid the shipping. 

Also, list it as "New(other)" and explain why you don't have a box, but it powers up and is unused. There seems to be a big difference in new vs. used $$ and for good reason.

Well crap, put it up it sold pretty instantly! now I will buy the family something nice, thanks all!

8 hours ago, JRM said:

<sigh>  I am never going to get my system up and running :(  I wouldn't know what to do with this if i had it, but at these prices I will never have it!

22 hours ago, MrBill said:

Rob Lilleness, CEO of smartlabs/InsteonSmarthome has now scrubbed his LinkedIn profile of not only his Insteon experience, he’s also deleted his picture and edited his name.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/roblilleness/

AC9032F6-41D7-446C-8662-E47BB474039A.thumb.png.20167bfca658ea89fba865d947e01854.png

Now his profile is completely locked down. Mine, and several others who commented on his profile are gone. I’m tempted to put something on Dan Hay’s (Exec Chairman) profile about Rob, his latest hire. 
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dan-hay-544989

On 4/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, MrBill said:

Rob Lilleness, CEO of smartlabs/InsteonSmarthome has now scrubbed his LinkedIn profile of not only his Insteon experience, he’s also deleted his picture and edited his name.

Yesterday there were 78 +/- LI profiles stating they were employees of Insteon.  Today only 12 that apparently didn't get the memo on the way out of the back door.  Old Rob has made his LI profile hidden now too because apparently a work history scrub, name change, and picture deletion weren't blocking all of the hate messages.  I only know because I tried.  I hate cowards, even when times aren't ideal.

2 hours ago, ClickChick said:

<sigh>  I am never going to get my system up and running :(  I wouldn't know what to do with this if i had it, but at these prices I will never have it!

Admittedly a noob here, but a bunch of us have walked the same ground.  Seems like a smart bunch.  We'll figure out alternatives without big $$$

Archived