Insteon HUB (2245) cloud servers shut down

MrBill

4 hours ago, FloridaGary said:

Now his profile is completely locked down. Mine, and several others who commented on his profile are gone. I’m tempted to put something on Dan Hay’s (Exec Chairman) profile about Rob, his latest hire. 
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dan-hay-544989

Just so you know, the actual company that invested in Smarthome is one that Rob Lilleness himself created, Richmond Capita Partners LLC. I believe it is different from the company you found online based in Richmond VA. The LLC is based in Seattle WA.

5 minutes ago, matapan said:

Just so you know, the actual company that invested in Smarthome is one that Rob Lilleness himself created, Richmond Capita Partners LLC. I believe it is different from the company you found online based in Richmond VA. The LLC is based in Seattle WA.

The company that Rob is now on the Board of is ISOutsourcing based in Seattle. Not sure what company you’re referring to in Virginia. 

5 hours ago, ClickChick said:

<sigh>  I am never going to get my system up and running :(  I wouldn't know what to do with this if i had it, but at these prices I will never have it!

@ClickChick I believe you said earlier that you bought the USB dongle.  You'll now need to either buy the Polisy or wait for developing news as to whether UDI will be involved with Insteon's assets (including Hub servers).   Keep following these message boards as I imagine things will shake out in the next 2-3 weeks.

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

I had found a few different Richmond Capital Partners with a web search. All in different parts of the country.

There has been a user here posting misinformation about Richmond Capital Partners, they seem to think that it was Rob's own company.... it's not... it's been around since 2000 and has worldwide locations, and is perhaps stronger in Europe (I can't back that up other than the corporate office is in London)

https://richmondcapitalpartners.com/about/

34 minutes ago, MrBill said:

There has been a user here posting misinformation about Richmond Capital Partners, they seem to think that it was Rob's own company.... it's not... it's been around since 2000 and has worldwide locations, and is perhaps stronger in Europe (I can't back that up other than the corporate office is in London)

https://richmondcapitalpartners.com/about/

I don't believe that is the correct company.  Rob's was Richmond Capital Partners LLC, not Richmond Capital Partners LTD.

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/richmond-capital-partners-2

7 minutes ago, kurelgyer said:

I don't believe that is the correct company.  Rob's was Richmond Capital Partners LLC, not Richmond Capital Partners LTD.

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/richmond-capital-partners-2

Oh that's very interesting... I've been perhaps confused for nearly a year since I started paying attention to insteon ownership.  https://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/business.aspx?ubi=604051836

10 hours ago, Ross said:

@ClickChick I believe you said earlier that you bought the USB dongle.  You'll now need to either buy the Polisy or wait for developing news as to whether UDI will be involved with Insteon's assets (including Hub servers).   Keep following these message boards as I imagine things will shake out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Ross, You are correct, I did purchase the USB dongle. I guess I am in a little bit of a panic mode trying to make sure I am not missing out on limited options that might be available.  I am to anxious to get past this and what I probably really need to do is be patient :)  Thanks so much for your guidance!

Hey team,

I just finished setting up my raspberry pi with home assistant. Almost all of my insteon hub devices were automatically linked and I'm able to again control all my lights from my app

If anyone needs to talk through exactly how to do that, message me and I'm happy to walk you through it. I was in desperate need of a dumbed down, step-by-step walk through but couldn't find one ... and now that I suffered through it myself I'm happy to help ?

I will say however that Home Assistant is incredibly slow in executing scenes. Insteon Hub was night and day different. It also doesn't recognize all my devices all of the time. Unfortunate.

Just in case y'all haven't see this yet:

https://www.insteon.com/news2022

Dear Insteon Community,

In 2017, after many successful years, Smartlabs, Inc found itself in financial difficulties and the path forward was unclear. That year, Smartlabs took in additional capital and brought in new management to turn the situation around. These efforts resulted in new investment into the fortification of the technology and development of new products. The future was looking bright.

In 2019, the onset of the global pandemic brought unforeseen disruption to the market, but the company continued to move forward. However, the subsequent (and enduring) disruption to the supply chain caused by the pandemic proved incredibly difficult and the company engaged in a sales process in November, 2021. The goal was to find a parent for the company and continue to invest in new products and the technology. The process resulted in several interested parties and a sale was expected to be realized in the March timeframe. Unfortunately, that sale did not materialize. Consequently, the company was assigned to a financial services firm in March to optimize the assets of the company.

The pioneering work in smart lighting and world-class products have created an extraordinary following and community. Clearly, all Smartlabs’ employees who have worked so hard to produce such world-class products and technology hope that a buyer can be found for the company.

Although incredibly difficult, we hope that the Insteon community understands the tireless efforts by all the employees to serve our customers, and deeply apologize to the community.

So, they thought they'd be sold in March, and weren't. 

I have no idea what "the company was assigned to a financial services firm" means, but I have a fair idea what "to optimize the assets of the company" means, and I think we'd all agree that the "financial services firm" screwed the pooch on the whole "optimize" aspect.

Liquidation of assets is what it sounds like.  Someone still is there who has access to the website and is keeping that up.  The senior leadership is hiding.  That "Important Message" didn't replace the home page, they are still keeping the rest of the marketing goop up.  Why?  Perhaps they are still hoping they'll turn the lights back on?

It appears they got into financial trouble, tried different approaches, bankruptcy, hiring an investor, Rob Lilleness as a figurehead CEO, but the owner just wouldn't let go of his failed ideas, still micro-managing, and took the whole company down with his business depression.

He just gave up, and Rob Lilleness may be taking all the brunt of the mud slinging and market anger, while the real culprit hides from public view. It always seemed like the same bad attitude was behind the failures, no matter whose name was in the forefront over the years.

Did anyone get this:

E-Notice Service

April 21, 2022

DISCLAIMER: Please do not reply to this e-mail. This is an unmonitored address, and replies to this e-mail cannot be responded to or read. If you have any questions, please visit:

https://fileaclaim.info/SmartLabs-ABC/

This looks legit.  I have attached the PDF. 

Text Here:

TO ALL CREDITORS AND EQUITYHOLDERS OF SMARTLABS, INC. AND OTHER PARTIES IN INTEREST: PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on March 22, 2022, SmartLabs, Inc. (“SmartLabs” or “Assignor”), a California corporation (EIN: 35-0557391) with offices at 1621 Alton Parkway, Suite 100, Irvine, California 92606 United States as assignor, made a General Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors (the “Assignment”) to SmartLabs (ABC), LLC (“Assignee”), a California limited liability company, as assignee, pursuant to California state law. The Assignment of Assignor previously was approved by Assignor’sstockholders holding the requisite majority of the company’s stock. This correspondence constitutes notice under Section 228(e) of the Delaware General Corporation Law for corporate action taken without a stockholders’ meeting by less than unanimous written consent of the Company’s stockholders. PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that with the exception of the relationship created by the Assignment, and despite their similarity in name, Assignor and Assignee have no corporate affiliation to each other. A true and correct copy of the document evidencing the Assignment can be downloaded from the following website (www.FileAClaim.info/SmartLabs-ABC). Pursuant to the Assignment, Assignor transferred ownership of all its rights in tangible and intangible assets (collectively, the “Assets”) including intellectual property, equipment, furniture, and other recoveries to Assignee for liquidation. Assignee shall attempt to liquidate the Assets and, at the same time, conduct a process to monetize the furniture and equipment, and shall wind down Assignor and distribute the net liquidation proceeds to creditors of Assignor who timely submit claims as instructed below. PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that all entities asserting any claim against Assignor must submit a proof of claim and proper supporting documentation no later than September 18, 2022 (the “Bar Date”). Claims can be filed electronically using a form located at the following landing page (www.FileAClaim.info/SmartLabs-ABC). Alternatively, a statement regarding your claim and related documentation may be sentto the following address. You may include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage to confirm receipt: SmartLabs (ABC), LLC c/o Claims Administration 231 Market Place, Suite 373 San Ramon, California 94583 Any claimant who fails to timely submit a claim, postmarked on or before the Bar Date, in accordance with the instructions set forth above, shall be barred from sharing in any distribution from the net liquidation proceeds, if applicable, and shall not receive any distribution from Assignee as it relates to this matter. Dated: April 12, 2022 BY: SmartLabs (ABC), LLC In its sole and limited capacity as Assignee FBO Creditors of SmartLabs, Inc. 231 Market Place, Suite 373 San Ramon, California 94583 United States

SmartLabs-ABC-Creditor-Notice.pdf

27 minutes ago, kyderr said:

TO ALL CREDITORS AND EQUITYHOLDERS OF SMARTLABS, INC. AND OTHER PARTIES IN INTEREST

This isn't good for anyone hoping to take over the IP and other assets in a reasonable time frame. With courts involved it will drag out a year or two and the biggest asset, the customer base, will have moved on. Technology is like groceries, it does have a short shelf life. Users of Insteon cloud will probably have switched protocols long before this is resolved. Insteon will be relegated to the X10 category, only of interest to the most hard core user like us UDI fans. IMO. 

This isn't good for anyone hoping to take over the IP and other assets in a reasonable time frame. With courts involved it will drag out a year or two and the biggest asset, the customer base, will have moved on. Technology is like groceries, it does have a short shelf life. Users of Insteon cloud will probably have switched protocols long before this is resolved. Insteon will be relegated to the X10 category, only of interest to the most hard core user like us UDI fans. IMO. 

@LFMc being a Debbie downer that’s so unlike you!

Having not been on this forum for about a month, here's where I found out about this a couple days ago:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/insteon-smarthome-still-in-business.3242411/

I've been an Insteon fanatic for as long as I can remember.  I started playing with this type of technology back in the X10 days.  Once I found the ISY/Insteon solution to automating, I went all in.  I was looking at the HUB stuff a few years ago and had quite a few posts here asking about it.  Finally decided I didn't need or want to go in that direction.  For me, it was just overkill.

I'm up to about 35 Insteon devices all controlled by my ISY994i.  Having been a software developer since the days of mainframes and TTY terminals (with that spool of yellow paper tape on the side), I've had fun programing the ISY.  There are only a couple of things I need to control remotely and MobiLinc Pro has served me well.

As for having the rug pulled out from all of us without warning, this is the 3rd time in the past year for me.  I've had a Livio internet radio for about 10 years and last year, without any warnings, they shut down the Reciva server turning all the Livio radios into door stops.  Last month, the lawn service I'd been using for 12 years, didn't show up for the spring cleanup.  I called and emailed them about a dozen times as my yard got more and more overgrown, finally getting a response that they no longer do residential lawns.

Considering it almost guaranteed we will never see new PLMs again, I guess its time to pull out the two dead PLMs I have kept and fix them.  Haven't had a soldering iron in my hand in a very long time, so I'm going to need a lot of practice on other old electronics in my junk pile.

27 minutes ago, johnmsch said:

Considering it almost guaranteed we will never see new PLMs again, I guess its time to pull out the two dead PLMs I have kept and fix them.  Haven't had a soldering iron in my hand in a very long time, so I'm going to need a lot of practice on other old electronics in my junk pile.

If you want to pay instead of DIY, there's a guy on ebay... just type "PLM repair" in the ebay search box.

Archived