"Can't Communicate with Device" Warning, then device turns on

Valveman

When I try to turn on a device via the program interface, I get a warning message that ISY994i could not communicate with the device.  Then, the device turns on.  If I try to turn the device off, I get a warning that ISY could not communicate with the device, then the device turns off.  Note that my network consists of only zwave devices.

I ran a network heal operation, and got "can't communicate" warnings for just about every device on the network, and the network heal operation mostly failed.  Yet ISY still turns most of the device on and off on schedule.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for the response.

The UI: INSTEON_UD994_OADR v.5.0.16 (2019-10-08-09:13:00

I have 13 devices, 8 are wall switches, 3 are appliance modules and 2 are shade controllers.  All are having the same problem.  The heal process generates "can't communicate" messages, but the devices are still turned on and off by ISY.

Do you have a mixture of Insteon and Z-wave, Insteon doesn't have a "heal"

Some of your devices the older single band devices and might be creating noise on your powerline. Take a look at your error log to see if there's anything there that could be problematic.

You should also verify that both legs of your powerline are bridged.

Take a look at these troubleshooting tips:

INSTEON: Troubleshooting Communications Errors - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

1 hour ago, Techman said:

Do you have a mixture of Insteon and Z-wave, Insteon doesn't have a "heal"

Some of your devices the older single band devices and might be creating noise on your powerline. Take a look at your error log to see if there's anything there that could be problematic.

You should also verify that both legs of your powerline are bridged.

Take a look at these troubleshooting tips:

INSTEON: Troubleshooting Communications Errors - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

He said in his original message he only has zwave.

@Valveman clear your Java cache and make sure you use the launcher

Do you have the 300 board (has light in back of Isy) or 500 board (no light). If you have the 500 board, upgrade to 5.3.4

26 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

He said in his original message he only has zwave.

@Valveman clear your Java cache and make sure you use the launcher

Do you have the 300 board (has light in back of Isy) or 500 board (no light). If you have the 500 board, upgrade to 5.3.4

Thanks, I missed that.

In that case if he has the 300 board he should upgrade to the 500 for better performance and range

13 hours ago, Techman said:

In that case if he has the 300 board he should upgrade to the 500 for better performance and range

Actually at this point in the game that's $70 wasted upgrade money.  He should stick with 5.016C until he can spend his upgrade money on Polisy + zooz 700 series

On 4/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, Valveman said:

Firmware line says: INSTEON_UD994_OADR v.5.0.16C (2020-01-25-12:36:41)

21 hours ago, Valveman said:

The UI: INSTEON_UD994_OADR v.5.0.16 (2019-10-08-09:13:00

Not that it would instantly fix this issue, but your UI/FW don't match. It's a small difference, but still a difference that could impact.

Again, if you have the 300 series z-wave then 5.0.16C is the last update you should do. If you have the 500 series z-wave controller then upgrade to 5.3.4 and make sure your UI is updated as well.

Currently I'd suggesting clearing the Java Cache and getting the ISY Launcher and making sure UI/FW match to whatever you have and try again. 

Since there were apparently a few versions of 5.0.16 it's possible your UI might have some issues working with the 5.0.16C firmware. 

Lastly, since this is fully z-wave system are all your devices within reasonable distance from others? I don't use z-wave, but always see the comments about having a good mesh of powered devices to relay the signal to further away devices. Since you say "all devices" have this issue then something else is going on. 

lilyoyo1 - Clearing the Java Cache largely resolved the issue.  Now when I run the network heal process, all of the devices are successful except the 2 shade controllers (class C motor controllers).  ISY will raise and lower the shades without problem, and I do not get the "can't communicate" messages, but the network heal process fails on those 2 devices.

13 hours ago, Valveman said:

On the back of the ISY, to the right of "Port A", is what I think is a light that is not lit.

Shine your phones flashlight on it.... it will reveal itself as a blue LED.  Your z-wave version will also be 4.55.00.  That is a 300 series board.   Firmware version 5.0.16C is as far as you can go.  Help > About:  make sure the UI version is also 5.0.16C and not just 5.0.16.

Archived