Original Motion Sensor - trur off dusk to dawn

JSchumann

In the Right screen for my motion sensor, Dusk to Dawn page, Status says ON.  I cannot get it to turn off.  This sensor is used in a room.  

Jumper Pin 3 is open, so it is NOT in night only mode

Jumper pin 5 is closed, so I have Remote software enabled.

In options I have sensing mode unchecked, on command only unchecked and night only mode unchecked

I have written changes to device.

Status for dusk to dawn always stays on.

Any ideas on how to turn it off?

Thanks,

John

You cannot modify settings/options in battery operated devices unless they are put into linking mode first.

If you enable the remote settings DIP switch, the rest cease functioning.

IIRC you can only set options in the main page for an Insteon MS. The ancilliary pages will not allow setting options.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

You cannot modify settings/options in battery operated devices unless they are put into linking mode first.

If you enable the remote settings DIP switch, the rest cease functioning.

IIRC you can only set options in the main page for an Insteon MS. The ancilliary pages will not allow setting options.

Ok, so I moved the DIP setting to off.  The dusk to Dawn notification is blank now (doesn't say Off).  So it should work as a room sensor now.

Thanks,

John

On 5/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, JSchumann said:

Got it. Thanks

If you really need to have the box fill in, you can

- wait until dark
- put the unit in a dark closet and wait 5 minutes
- open the back and click the link button 5 times in rapid sequence. IIRC some may take 7 clicks in rapid succession.

8 minutes ago, larryllix said:

If you really need to have the box fill in, you can

- wait until dark
- put the unit in a dark closet and wait 5 minutes
- open the back and click the link button 5 times in rapid sequence. IIRC some may take 7 clicks in rapid succession.

Oh cool, will try it.  Where are the button sequences documented?

23 minutes ago, JSchumann said:

Oh cool, will try it.  Where are the button sequences documented?

hmmmm...some of the tiny pamphlet docs mention that sequence, but not all. If 5 clicks doesn't make it update within a few seconds, try seven about as fast as you can click. I usually do  to test the dark while holding it under my short and/or hand. It is good to setup the sensitivity setting also.

18 hours ago, JSchumann said:

Where are the button sequences documented?

I see mention of 7 presses in the manual found here - https://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2842-222-en.pdf

Adjust Modes

Adjust Dials

Left Dial Adjust Automatic Off” Countdown

Using a small Phillips screwdriver, adjust to the desired time duration in which you want Motion Sensor to send an OFF command after the last motion sensed. Turning the dial all the way counter-clockwise sets the countdown to 30 seconds; turning the dial all the way clockwise sets it to 2 hours. Anywhere in between results in a proportional difference between 30 seconds and 2 hours.

Right Dial Day/Night Threshold

Using a small Phillips screwdriver, adjust the day/night threshold to desired light level. Turning the dial clockwise increases the light level of the threshold; turning the dial counter-clockwise decreases the light level of the threshold. For example, when you turn the dial all the way clockwise, Motion Sensor will read night no matter how bright it is. Likewise, turning the dial all the way counter-clockwise will make Motion Sensor read day no matter how dark it is. Turning the dial anywhere in between will choose the specific light level which Motion Sensor uses to determine night” vs. day.” To test, set Motion Sensor to night-only mode (see above) and tap the set button 7 times. If it reads the current light level as night,” it will turn on its linked responders on first sensed motion. If it reads day,” the LED will flash on first motion, but it will not turn on its linked responders.

6 hours ago, JSchumann said:

Thanks, That is a different start guide than I have......

That and the four tap phase identification method on AC based devices are two hidden goodies that SmartHome fell down on.

Were they trying to hide it from their users or just insecure that China would continue to add those features in the firmware  so they didn't document them? Who knows? Doh!

Archived