Desperate Help Needed - Possible PLM issue but maybe not

Very unlikely ISY is causing the failure.

I currently run 2 ISY994s and 2 Polisys with PLMs at the same location.  I've had PLMs fail within a few months and others which are still working after 6 years.

Being a developer I often need to test difference between firmware and the PLM makes this easier. Insteon saves links in the PLM, so all I need to due is move the PLM to an empty ISY, install new firmware and install backup, then I'm back up and running without any linking. Because the links are at the PLM level I can now swap the PLM between the two ISYs to test any discrepancies between firmware versions.

This to say the same PLM for my main production system has been attached to all ISYs but has not failed in 6 years (did fail twice before) but I've lost other PLMs which are connected to my small test network. The test network is run on the same ISYs after my production system is moved to the newest firmware.

1 hour ago, gadgetfreak said:

No communication error! I restored my configuration,  <snip> I am back up and running!

Awesome news! Glad the repairs worked. Thanks for the update.

I'm with the others...doubtful that the ISY caused the failure, but if you're worried then I wouldn't use the one you think caused the problem. If you need/want a backup/spare then buy a new one. Otherwise, save up and get a Polisy (it's now and the future). 

41 minutes ago, BCreekDave said:

Any chance you could send the suspect 994 to UDI for testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not. Unless the device is still under warranty, it wouldn't be worth UDIs time to test it. Once you include shipping costs, it would be cheaper to get a new one..if it's under warranty, it would still be cheaper for them to send a new one out. 

8 hours ago, gadgetfreak said:

The first PLM arrived back around 10 days later and I plugged it into the second ISY I had (more on this in a bit). No communication error! 

I have now sent my second PLM for repair and will test it out when it gets back.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to test this all when the second PLM comes back, let me know. 

If you have not already done so ask what was repaired on each unit.   Knowing what was repaired could help your understanding of what might have caused them to fail and possibly exclude the ISY as a possible cause.

11 hours ago, ELA said:

If you have not already done so ask what was repaired on each unit.   Knowing what was repaired could help your understanding of what might have caused them to fail and possibly exclude the ISY as a possible cause.

That information would be a big help.

If the serial port interface chip was bad. Then it maybe a bad voltage from the ISY994i. I have seen that Smarthome changed the serial chip at V2.3 with one with a better ESD rating and V2.4 got a new designed serial port board with the improved chip and a protection network on the two serial signals into and out of the PLM.