Connection PG3 Refused

oneklakes

I apologize in advance if this is a totally newb question.

I installed Polisy and ran the Launcher. It found the Polisy just fine. However, when I try to open PG3, I get a <IP Address> "Refused to Connect" message. This only happens on PG3. I can connect to the PG2 Dashboard.   

Have you installed PG3?  I don't believe it is being installed by default yet so you have to manually install it using the instructions in the release announcements for PG3 before you can use it.

5 hours ago, landolfi said:

I'm experiencing this too. From the ISY Finder. Just upgraded Polisy to 5.4.4. It appears to be using HTTPS on Polisy port 3000.

Related: All my node servers are on PG2. Do I have to start over with PG3?

I have the exact same set up as landolfi.

39 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

Have you installed PG3?  I don't believe it is being installed by default yet so you have to manually install it using the instructions in the release announcements for PG3 before you can use it.

Hmm, it looks like a manual install of PG3 needs to be done using Linux commands. While I've been working on PCs since the early DOS days (and even did some BASIC programming using cards and yellow tape!), I have zero experience with Linux. If that's the only way to do at this, I guess I will just need to wait until there is a script or some other tool.

@oneklakes It's not difficult, but you do need to know how to SSH to your Polisy. You can use the ssh command built into windows or use a utility like Putty.

once you've logged onto your Polisy do the following.

1. Make sure your Polisy is up-to-date

sudo pkg update && sudo pkg upgrade

2. Install PG3

sudo pkg install pg3

sudo service pg3 enable

sudo service pg3 start

Thanks, this worked for me too. I didn't realize I had to explcitly install PG3. The "PG2 (Deprecated)" suggests you don't need to do anything except not use it unless you have to, or at least that's what I thought.

I'm hoping PG2 stays around for a while because stuff I have been using free on PG2 now costs $ on PG3. I'm also hoping the $ brings better functionality and support than I've experienced on some of the free things I've tried on PG2. My impression is that what was available in PG2 was mostly POCs.

13 hours ago, landolfi said:

I'm hoping PG2 stays around for a while because stuff I have been using free on PG2 now costs $ on PG3. I'm also hoping the $ brings better functionality and support than I've experienced on some of the free things I've tried on PG2. My impression is that what was available in PG2 was mostly POCs.

That's been the main goal of PG3.  A lot of the node servers for PG2 seem to have been developed but then abandoned since the time it takes to maintain them can quickly become larger than the initial development time.  

The expectation is that by being compensated for the effort, they'll be more likely to continue maintaining and supporting their node servers.

At some point, the default configuration on a Polisy will switch to PG3 being installed and PG2 not being installed by default.  Eventually, PG2 may be removed, but that will be a while.  Since PG2 is an open source project, how long it remains viable to run on something other than an Polisy will be up to the "community".

I was hoping someone could tell me the connection type  for Putty for SSH to connect to the Polisy.  I was connected but kept getting disconnected. 

I took out my old 994pro offline and in the process of making the Polisy standalone so i want to upgrade to PG3.

Fortran and basic programming from 45 years ago doesn't help me.

thanks

25 minutes ago, captainc said:

I was hoping someone could tell me the connection type  for Putty for SSH to connect to the Polisy.  I was connected but kept getting disconnected. 

In putty you just need the Polisy IP address. Port is 22, type is SSH.

This is my putty session info:

image.png

Read the Polisy User Guide from the wiki for further assistance with migration steps and making sure the OS version is up to date so PG will install. 

Archived