Newbie question on getting this up and running on Polisy

Go to solution Solved by telljcl,

Have just migrated most everything over from ISY994 and most things seem to work for now.

I have purchased this in the store, it shows in my account, but it shows as not running, and I can't seem to figure out how to configure it (i.e. tell it what the ip of my Rainmachine is, etc...)

Any basic direction would be appreciated, including where to ask this question if this isn't the place.

Thanks

9 hours ago, telljcl said:

Have just migrated most everything over from ISY994 and most things seem to work for now.

I have purchased this in the store, it shows in my account, but it shows as not running, and I can't seem to figure out how to configure it (i.e. tell it what the ip of my Rainmachine is, etc...)

Any basic direction would be appreciated, including where to ask this question if this isn't the place.

Thanks

Did you follow the notes that the developer left?

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/28703-introducing-the-rainmachine-irrigation-controller/

9 hours ago, telljcl said:

This is the place.  

Since you've managed to purchase the node server on Polyglot, you're just about there.  Click on the "Polisy Dashboard" button at the top of the page, which should take you to the Dashboard, and there you should find an entry for your new Rainmachine.  You'll need to click on the "Details" button below that entry.  That will take you to a new screen where you can control/configure your Rainmachine node server.  Click the "Configuration" button, and follow the on-screen instructions for configuration.  Save your changes and restart the node server, and the nodes (zones, programs, restrictions, precipitation) should populate in your ISY software on your Polisy.  You may need to restart the Admin Console on your Polisy before the nodes appear.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

This is the place.  

Since you've managed to purchase the node server on Polyglot, you're just about there.  Click on the "Polisy Dashboard" button at the top of the page, which should take you to the Dashboard, and there you should find an entry for your new Rainmachine.  You'll need to click on the "Details" button below that entry.  That will take you to a new screen where you can control/configure your Rainmachine node server.  Click the "Configuration" button, and follow the on-screen instructions for configuration.  Save your changes and restart the node server, and the nodes (zones, programs, restrictions, precipitation) should populate in your ISY software on your Polisy.  You may need to restart the Admin Console on your Polisy before the nodes appear.

Thank you!

So I had already done what you suggested (or at least tried...). Under "Configuration" I had entered the i.p. of my RM, the pw for it, and replaced "metric" with "us", and saved. But when I try "start", or "restart", it always immediately says "Not running" with the red "disconnected" badge at the top. Never seen it say "connected". Updating the parameters (though there are no on-screen instructions that you mention that I could see) gives green boxes on the right confirming Polisy (I presume) has accepted the input.

I suspect the issue could be that something isn't configured correctly in ISY on Polisy (IoP). Under "Node Servers", there is probably some procedure to link the RM node server on Polyglot? There is a list of pre-populated node servers listed under "node servers>add node", and several RM nodes are listed there (programs, zones, etc..) but I'm unsure about exactly how to configure this - if it is needed.

I appreciate your time and help!

@telljcl Have you added your IoP to the PG3 settings? 

Please read this section of the wiki: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#ISYs

As @Bumbershoot points out most of the configuration will be as you apparently have attempted, but you need to be sure the ISY on Polisy is properly added in PG3 setup. Otherwise, the information for the node server (or any node server for that fact) won't know where to send the information.

Perhaps sharing some screen shots of what you see might help further, but sounds like you're on the right track. 

24 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@telljcl Have you added your IoP to the PG3 settings? 

Perhaps sharing some screen shots of what you see might help further, but sounds like you're on the right track. 

Thank you - I added the IoP as you mentioned, but it appeared to be already in there. I made sure all the entries were identical to the link you provided though this time (IoP instead of ISY, etc...)

Attached are a few screen shots of what I'm seeing...

pg3 screen 2.jpg

pg3 screen 1.jpg

nodes 2.jpg

nodes 1.jpg

@telljcl Thanks for the reply and images. Have you clicked on "start" or "restart' on all the node servers? It's strange for them to all being showing disconnected. It's as thought they've never started up. Especially since all show 0 (zero) nodes. 

The configuration for the nodes needs to take place in the PG3 screens (mostly...at least I've found that's easier and more accurate for some I used previously. 

I don't have any devices that would use these node servers so I wouldn't be a good one to try to buy/install/setup, but I did just run the Kasa NS on PG2 and it started right away. I'm not seeing any setup that needs to be done for Kasa. So I assume in PG3 it would be the same. 

Have you read the Kasa README.md information found in the link from the node store? 

Read here: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-poly-kasa/blob/master/README.md

Once it's starting it should find devices on your network. Since it doesn't require any log-in information. (At least not what I see on PG2 version). 

But in your RainMachine screen shot above click on "Configuration". That's where you should enter (probably the information you entered from the ISY side). I've always just done the configuration from the Polyglot side (either in PG2 or PG3). That then is what is fed to the ISY (in this case IoP). Then be sure to click on Start or if you find it's running click on "restart". Also, click the "LOG" button and see what is being logged. If there's a setting to change to debug set that and then "restart" the node server. Give it a few minutes then "Download Log" (this will download just that Node Server log). 

Here's what you want to look for:

image.png

Once you've downloaded the log then read though there and see if there are errors trying to connect to the IoP or other obvious errors. I wouldn't post the log here (not yet anyway) as I don't think the developer is very active at this moment  (I think they're busy moving) so you're going to be relying on others that might use this Node Server to help you from there.

Perhaps this gets you going. Post back if you get some of them working or still having issues. Hopefully others with this node can help out some of the configuration settings to help you out. 

• Like 1
  • Solution

EDIT: Due to bone-headed-ness and less than perfect vision, I finally saw that the IP address' first "." was actually a ":" So problem solved - sorry for chewing up bandwidth and please disregard the below as it relates to the ELK issue. 

So after banging my head against the wall and reading all sorts of cryptic instructions (some older, some newer apparently), I "updated packages" on the ISY config page and Voila - the node servers are connecting and showing up in IoP.

The nodes are populating in the case of Rainmachine and Kasa, but the Elk Node server only has one node, and it is just basically a connection verification - no zone status etc... 

It is also showing (in IoP) "Connected" but the M1XEP status show "false", implying the Node server and the IoP are communicating, but the Node server is not getting through to the M1XEP (ethernet connection to ELK). I used the exact same parameters that have been in my old ISY for years - same ip, same password, same port...

Tried "add all nodes" in IoP (there are about a dozen listed), but nothing populated in IoP.

Any ideas from those that use an Elk?

Thanks for all the assistance!

Edited by telljcl
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, telljcl said:

EDIT: Due to bone-headed-ness and less than perfect vision, I finally saw that the IP address' first "." was actually a ":" So problem solved

Great to hear! Glad it ended up being something "simple".  Not sure if you're still needing help on the Elk stuff or not, but you'd be better off starting a new post in the Elk sub-forum to get help specific to those issues.