eisy | home packaging ...

2 hours ago, doubleshot said:

So... When might this actually be coming out? I saw somewhere in another thread mid-september? Polsy is still on the store page obviously sold out. I'm ready to upgrade from my isy (esp since it hasn't had an update in over a year) 

Michel stated after Nov. No set date yet.

All new features are going to the newer systems. The 994 will receive bug fixes and security updates as needed until formerly disco'd. 

I'm ready to upgrade from my isy (esp since it hasn't had an update in over a year) 

Don't judge the lack of updates as an issue. ISY994 is not currently being updated. All development is currently focused on PG3 and IoP (among other things). As @lilyoyo1 says if bugs need fixing in ISY994 I'm sure they'll get taken care of, but not much in the way of feature changes at this point. 

I'd guess that the eisy would be out sometime in the next few months. Since the ZMatter board was first teased as something new and possibly released in Sept, but now pre-orders are being accepted and has a mid-Nov available date. I would consider eisy might be in the same situation (or even later). UDI might announce pre-orders for eisy soon with actual shipments to follow.

For the time being...a working ISY994 is still capable of everything it's been capable of over the years. No need to rush to update to something else at the moment. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

Don't judge the lack of updates as an issue. ISY994 is not currently being updated. All development is currently focused on PG3 and IoP (among other things). As @lilyoyo1 says if bugs need fixing in ISY994 I'm sure they'll get taken care of, but not much in the way of feature changes at this point. 

I'd guess that the eisy would be out sometime in the next few months. Since the ZMatter board was first teased as something new and possibly released in Sept, but now pre-orders are being accepted and has a mid-Nov available date. I would consider eisy might be in the same situation (or even later). UDI might announce pre-orders for eisy soon with actual shipments to follow.

For the time being...a working ISY994 is still capable of everything it's been capable of over the years. No need to rush to update to something else at the moment. 

As someone that's been a universal devices supporter for a long time (since 2009) ... It's hard to keep seeing the delays, hardware and software. I can judge all I want lol. Problem is universal devices has never been on track... I just wish they'd make something more solid. Look up eisy... There's nothing about it. Maybe a roadmap? Something that can tell us what the future is... Nada. 

14 minutes ago, doubleshot said:

As someone that's been a universal devices supporter for a long time (since 2009) ... It's hard to keep seeing the delays, hardware and software. I can judge all I want lol. Problem is universal devices has never been on track... I just wish they'd make something more solid. Look up eisy... There's nothing about it. Maybe a roadmap? Something that can tell us what the future is... Nada. 

What hardware/software delays have you been experiencing? UDI generally does not give a timeline for anything they do. Lately they have and they're actually on point with the polisy board pre-orders. However, delays are a way of life. Every company has them. Those that don't, generally have a bunch of issues soon after (see smartphone releases). In addition, since COVID, no timeline can be truly guaranteed 100%

• Like 3
12 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What hardware/software delays have you been experiencing? UDI generally does not give a timeline for anything they do. Lately they have and they're actually on point with the polisy board pre-orders. However, delays are a way of life. Every company has them. Those that don't, generally have a bunch of issues soon after (see smartphone releases). In addition, since COVID, no timeline can be truly guaranteed 100%

I'm not talking about chip shortages or even hardware delays. I'm talking about product roadmaps. Those that are lucky enough to have a Polisy sure. But there aren't any of those. Eisy is now a new thing, but you'd never know if you didn't scrub the forums for new info. A roadmap doesn't have to have detailed timelines. But let's at least get something out that shows what the next steps are.... I don't need UDI generally doesn't do something, again, I've been an insteon and UDI supporter for a very long time.

• Like 1

I'm not talking about chip shortages or even hardware delays. I'm talking about product roadmaps. Those that are lucky enough to have a Polisy sure. But there aren't any of those. Eisy is now a new thing, but you'd never know if you didn't scrub the forums for new info. A roadmap doesn't have to have detailed timelines. But let's at least get something out that shows what the next steps are.... I don't need UDI generally doesn't do something, again, I've been an insteon and UDI supporter for a very long time.

Product roadmaps and delays are 2 different things. You first said delays but now changed it to lack of product roadmaps while dismissing delays. 

Polisy has been out for a few years now so i wouldn't say we got lucky to own one. We all had the same opportunity to purchase one and chose not to wait. Those who chose to wait unfortunately are not able to get anything at this time. That's on the user not UDI (as they'd love to sell you as many polisy's as you'd like to buy). 

When insteon shut down, there was a run on them which created much much higher demand than normal for hub users. With production being as it is, they can't simply turn out more product if parts aren't available (mfg. lead times plays a part as well). 

No company owes anyone a product roadmap. Not many of them give one (unless you consider leaks a roadmap). Technically they did give somewhat of a roadmap since we have been talking about eisy for a few weeks now in addition to their Matter boards (last few months for the latter). 

Even with major companies, most of their "roadmaps" are leaks. You can't go to Apple, Samsung, Google, Lutron, uniquiti, etc and see their upcoming product line for the next 2 years (let alone the next month unless it's been announced). Being major companies, you see more interest in leaking their "new" things until it's actually announced but nothing officially from the companies themselves. Assumptions can also be made about their future (ie: we can assume the iphone 20 will be in 6 years)

The hard part of a roadmap within this field is that it's ever changing. Whether it's a company (such as insteon shutting down) or a new technology rising (Matter), what you plan for today will probably be different tomorrow which may not come to fruition at all. It's one of the reasons why you don't see roadmaps from many automation companies until product release (or close to it). In the case of UDI and most others- they're so small, tech blogs and such don't bother with trying to find out leaks the way they do with apple and Samsung. 

4 hours ago, doubleshot said:

but you'd never know if you didn't scrub the forums for new info

What other means would you suggest ? For those owning a UD product (or having an interest) the forum is the best option. One day hopefully UD will be as big as Google or Apple (or has been acquired by one of these) and the media will write about announcements and/or leaks, but UD is not there (yet). So, I suggest to look at the forum at least once a month.

• Like 2
On 9/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, doubleshot said:

As someone that's been a universal devices supporter for a long time (since 2009) ... It's hard to keep seeing the delays, hardware and software

I'm wonder where you find "delays" for hardware and software. And as a long time supporter then you know there's never been much of a timeline for releases. I'm surprised you'd think that would change and be something that just appeared to happen with pending releases of hardware. 

As @lilyoyo1 points out the Polisy has been out a few years now. If you missed that release then you must not have been active on the forums or not checking emails because there were several large email blasts about it when it was announced and when it became widely available. 

As for the ZMatter board and the eisy releases those have been more low key and just recently announced the ZMatter board through the email campaign when UDI was able to begin accepting pre-orders. It still isn't expected to be available until mid November. 

The eisy hasn't been officially announced so nobody knows when it will actually arrive (other than UDI). 

I guess you're just here to gripe about things (from the tone of your other Matter post). Good on you for that. Hope you're around when eisy is announced/released so you can get one and not feel "left out" as a long time supporter. 

Keep smiling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Geddy said:

The eisy hasn't been officially announced so nobody knows when it will actually arrive (other than UDI). 

I guess you're just here to gripe about things (from the tone of your other Matter post). Good on you for that. Hope you're around when eisy is announced/released so you can get one and not feel "left out" as a long time supporter. 

Keep smiling!

Not trying to gripe :) I didn't jump on the Polisy train because the ISY was just fine. Based on looking around at different posts though Polisy hardware isn't going to be produced anymore? I'm more interested in what the future of UDI is I guess. Those that do have the Polisy is good. Those that still are in the ISY world, we're left out. With no new hardware in sight (like you said eisy isn't being really promoted yet) it's harder for those to see what the future is for UDI. Totally agree that based on the past that there's never been any real timelines or roadmaps that UDI has ever done. I'm just suggesting that maybe some hype of things to come on maybe a roadmap of sorts would be welcome to those that are interested in jumping on with UDI today. 

The matter post is a whole different thing. Seeing the hype of Matter it's interesting, but seeing HA protocols and other things go by stand up just to get thrown out again, it'll be interesting if mainstream manufacturers actually adopt it. I just go with Insteon was one of the best, UDI helped integration of Insteon and other protocols. Now the future is unknown where everything is going to land. 

Anyways cheers and hope UDI is around for the forever future. 

@doubleshot,

We should have eisy in stock by early to mid November. The delay is due to the fact that it's a brand new hardware and we need to make sure all drivers work before selling.

ZMatter board is first and foremost a major improvement/upgrade for the Z-Wave functionality. Then, Zigbee support, and then Matter is available, Zigbee + Matter. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@doubleshot,

We should have eisy in stock by early to mid November. The delay is due to the fact that it's a brand new hardware and we need to make sure all drivers work before selling.

ZMatter board is first and foremost a major improvement/upgrade for the Z-Wave functionality. Then, Zigbee support, and then Matter is available, Zigbee + Matter. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Just have my eisy and USB stick ready. 😂

***I'm serious though. I'm ready to try it out 😂

8 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@doubleshot,

With kind regards,
Michel

Michel, when will the USB board be available (I mean  UD's USB, not the one on Amazon) ?

23 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@doubleshot,

With kind regards,
Michel

Very cool.  How does Thread fit into this... or does it?