Notification Setup using Network Resources

Javi

This method is deprecated and should only be used on ISY994. Please use the Notification Node Server for Polisy and eisy.

Brief video showing how to setup UD Mobile Notifications Using ISY Network Resources.  Detailed instructions and features can be found on our WiKi.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Welp, I fooled with this for an hour or so. I was looking for something to replace email-to-text notifications for more than one person for one ISY-994. 

I was thinking anyone with UD Mobile logged into the Portal account for this ISY could get notifications. The doesn't appear to be the case. The API looks like it is attached to the app and not the Portal or ISY. Is that correct? If so, this isn't going to work for me.

6 hours ago, auger66 said:

I was looking for something to replace email-to-text notifications for more than one person for one ISY-994. 

Look at the group section in the wiki - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Group_Setup

If you still have issues/questions maybe @Javi can help with something specific. I haven't attempted this, but seems like what you're looking for.

• Like 1

Hi @auger66,

It should work for all users on the same account, it is tied to the ISY portal account linked to the app.  Are the other users sub accounts?

All available devices are listed when clicking the settings (gear) icon at the top of the Notifications tab.  See the devices section.

Edit: This is a newer feature so it's possible there is a bug. Please let us know if  devices are not listed and we can work with you to find the issue.

68398.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

This for one of six Portal accounts for six ISYs on my Android phone. All are on different email address's. One person has one Portal account linked to one ISY on his iPhone. No sub accounts.

He can see the devices, programs, etc. on his phone for the one ISY we're both looking at. After setting up the API key and everything on my phone, the notifications come to my phone but not his.

I don't know how to add his device to the list. Do I need physical possession of his phone and set his phone up the same way as the video instructions?

First be sure both devices have the latest app version.

Regarding multiple portal accounts.  When clicking Settings (gear icon) on the Notification tab are you presented with a list of portal accounts?  If prompted to pick portal account continue, else the other accounts are not linked to your Mobile Device and must be added in settings tab > Portal Accounts.

The devices should be added automatically to the list, can you verify if the API keys are the same (the last 4 or 5 characters should be enough to differentiate)?  Devices on the same account should have the same API key, Devices on Sub-Accounts or different accounts will have different API Keys.

At one point there was a bug which required each user had to click the notification tab at least once before the device was added to Portal, but I think this was fixed.  If the  API keys were checked on both devices for equality, this should have satisfied this requirement. If this bug still exists please let us know and we will try to find the issue.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 1:03 AM, Javi said:

First be sure both devices have the latest app version.

Regarding multiple portal accounts.  When clicking Settings (gear icon) on the Notification tab are you presented with a list of portal accounts?  If prompted to pick portal account continue, else the other accounts are not linked to your Mobile Device and must be added in settings tab > Portal Accounts.

The devices should be added automatically to the list, can you verify if the API keys are the same (the last 4 or 5 characters should be enough to differentiate)?  Devices on the same account should have the same API key, Devices on Sub-Accounts or different accounts will have different API Keys.

At one point there was a bug which required each user had to click the notification tab at least once before the device was added to Portal, but I think this was fixed.  If the  API keys were checked on both devices for equality, this should have satisfied this requirement. If this bug still exists please let us know and we will try to find the issue.

Javi,

I just set this up. I have 2 IoP's at different locations with portal accounts tied to the same email address. Both IoP's are sett up in UD Mobile. 

When I click the gear icon on the Notification tab, I receive an API key, however, I am not asked which portal account to use.

I want to set up Notifications for both IoP's. Should I be using the same API key, or is something wrong?

Thanks,

Dennis

• 1 month later...

This is fantastic - seems I may be able to replace using Pushover but for one small missing feature - custom icons. 

I would love to be able to upload custom icons tot he portal and then reference them as a parameter of the notification.

Second new feature - parameter to allow some notifications to override 'Do Not disturb'. Another option to cause the audio to repeat until the notification is dismissed. My use case here - a water leak sensor detecting a leak. I want this to wake me up!

Thanks for the great feature!

Hi @MWareman,

May be awhile before we can get to these due to our new hardware release.

15 minutes ago, MWareman said:

This is fantastic - seems I may be able to replace using Pushover but for one small missing feature - custom icons. 

I would love to be able to upload custom icons tot he portal and then reference them as a parameter of the notification.

Added issue: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc/UD-Mobile-Android/issues/36

15 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Second new feature - parameter to allow some notifications to override 'Do Not disturb'. 

If on Android this is already possible using one of the notification channels.  Basically use one of the sounds as your channel and set "Override Do Not Disturb" to true. You can also change the sound if needed in the same Android settings. Long press app Icon > select info ("i" inside circle)  > Notifications > Click on one of the sound channels.

Screenshot_20221127-091202.png

21 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Another option to cause the audio to repeat until the notification is dismissed. My use case here - a water leak sensor detecting a leak. I want this to wake me up!

Added issue: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc/UD-Mobile-Android/issues/37

• Like 1

TCP client request failed

I thought I had followed the Wiki directions carefully, downloaded the exampled and inserted my API Key from UDMoble.  But when I try to TEST, I get the above error.  Below is cut/paste from the ISY Error Log from this time along with a screenshot of the specific error message.  Any thoughts on what I'm missing? I've also attached a txt file of the Error Log if that is easier to view.

Time                          User         Code    Message
Mon 1900/01/01 12:00:00 AM    System    -170001    [HTTP:0-61120896] ::fc8e:7fdf:ff7f:0:(51199)->6     Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -170001    <s:Envelope><s:Body><u:TestNetResource xmlns:u="urn:udi-com:service:X_IoX_Service:1"><id>3</id><flag>1</flag></u:TestNetResource></s:Body></s:Envelope> Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:0-61120896]: POST[1]-->/services Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -140008    Net Module Rule: 3:403 Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:1-86286336] ::fc9e:9fdf:ff7f:0:(51455)->6 Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:1-86286336]: POST[1]-->/services Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:06 AM    0    -170001    <s:Envelope><s:Body><u:GetLastError xmlns:u="urn:udi-com:service:X_IoX_Service:1"></u:GetLastError></s:Body></s:Envelope> Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:07 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:0-61120896] ::fc8e:7fdf:ff7f:0:(51711)->6 Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:07 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:0-61120896]: POST[1]-->/services Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:07 AM    0    -170001    <s:Envelope><s:Body><u:ClearLastError xmlns:u="urn:udi-com:service:X_IoX_Service:1"></u:ClearLastError></s:Body></s:Envelope> Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:20 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:1-86286336] ::fc9e:9fdf:ff7f:0:(51967)->6 Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:20 AM    0    -170001    [HTTP:1-86286336]: POST[1]-->/services Thu 2022/12/01 10:53:20 AM    0    -170001    <s:Envelope><s:Body><u:GetErrorLog xmlns:u="urn:udi-com:service:X_IoX_Service:1"></u:GetErrorLog></s:Body></s:Envelope>

Screenshot 2022-12-01 104956.jpg

ISY Error Log.v5.4.5__Thu 2022.12.01 10.53.19 AM.txt

Edited by rwsani99
added Error Log text
5 minutes ago, rwsani99 said:

TCP client request failed

I thought I had followed the Wiki directions carefully, downloaded the exampled and inserted my API Key from UDMoble.  But when I try to TEST, I get the above error.  Below is the ISY Error Log from this time along with a screenshot of the specific error message.  Any thoughts on what I'm missing? 

Screenshot 2022-12-01 104956.jpg

ISY Error Log.v5.4.5__Thu 2022.12.01 10.53.19 AM.txt 1.39 kB · 1 download

Likely invalid API Key. Did you use the copy button then email to yourself?  Verify there is not space before or after the API Key.  Verify both the resource and All resources are saved before test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Javi said:

Likely invalid API Key. Did you use the copy button then email to yourself?  Verify there is not space before or after the API Key.  Verify both the resource and All resources are saved before test.

THANK YOU!!  Yes I did use the copy button in UD Mobile, and I used copy/paste from Gmail on my PC.  And when I went back into Edit of the API Key is doesn't show any extra spaces at the front or back.  BUT I erased the existing API Key, pasted it a second time and before I hit SAVE, I noticed the paste added a SPACE after the API Key, so I deleted that before hitting SAVE.  And voila!  It works!  Thanks again.

• Like 2
On 11/27/2022 at 11:30 AM, Javi said:

If on Android this is already possible using one of the notification channels.  Basically use one of the sounds as your channel and set "Override Do Not Disturb" to true. You can also change the sound if needed in the same Android settings. Long press app Icon > select info ("i" inside circle)  > Notifications > Click on one of the sound channels.

Screenshot_20221127-091202.png

@Javi

Looks like this might have changed with Android 13 and Samsung UI 5 on a Samsung Galaxy S20.

When you long press the icon, you no longer see the "i" in the circle. You can go to settings and the individual Pushover sounds, but I don't see anything for Do Not Disturb override there.

There is also nothing under Do Not Disturb.

12 minutes ago, DennisC said:

@Javi

Looks like this might have changed with Android 13 and Samsung UI 5 on a Samsung Galaxy S20.

When you long press the icon, you no longer see the "i" in the circle. You can go to settings and the individual Pushover sounds, but I don't see anything for Do Not Disturb override there.

There is also nothing under Do Not Disturb.

I would not put it past Samsung to remove features as a feature 😁 .    Are Notification Channels listed under Device Settings > Apps > UD Mobile > Notifications ?  

Also just be sure, is this for UD Mobile or Pushover?

9 minutes ago, Javi said:

I would not put it past Samsung to remove features as a feature 😁 .    Are Notification Channels listed under Device Settings > Apps > UD Mobile > Notifications ?  

Also just be sure, is this for UD Mobile or Pushover?

Yes, Notification Channels - Sounds are there and you can turn specific sounds on or off, but nothing that allows you to bypass Don Not Disturb.

You can allow on lock screen, show as popup, vibrate, ect, but nothing for DND.

It appears to be the same for UD Mobile or Pushover. 

18 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Yes, Notification Channels - Sounds are there and you can turn specific sounds on or off, but nothing that allows you to bypass Don Not Disturb.

You can allow on lock screen, show as popup, vibrate, ect, but nothing for DND.

It appears to be the same for UD Mobile or Pushover. 

Can you click the name (or bell icon) of the Notification Channel? 

I did a quick search and It appears some devices will not show this option for a managed profile (i.e. work profile).  Is the device using the main profile?

29 minutes ago, Javi said:

Can you click the name (or bell icon) of the Notification Channel? 

I did a quick search and It appears some devices will not show this option for a managed profile (i.e. work profile).  Is the device using the main profile?

If I understand correctly, that's what I was describing. Please see screenshots.

Screenshot_20221202_112949_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20221202_113002_Settings.jpg

10 minutes ago, Javi said:

Yes, that is where is should be. It is an OS level setting.

Is there multiple profiles or users on this device?

No, only one.

I know it was there before the update I did this morning.

I wanted to re-read your post to make sure I was doing it correctly and held off making the change. After the update this morning, I couldn't find the setting.

Just now, DennisC said:

No, only one.

I know it was there before the update I did this morning.

I wanted to re-read your post to make sure I was doing it correctly and held off making the change. After the update this morning, I couldn't find the setting.

Does it work from Settings > Sound & Vibration > Do not Disturb > Apps, then add UD Mobile

3 hours ago, Javi said:

Does it work from Settings > Sound & Vibration > Do not Disturb > Apps, then add UD Mobile

Under Sounds & Vibration there are no settings for Do Not Disturb. There is only a short cut to the Do Not Disturb settings screen.

From the DND settings screen, you can establish a schedule, and allow the following to bypass DND: Calls & messages, Alarms & sounds, and App notifications.

Under Alarms & Sounds, you have Alarms (not sure what these are - maybe alarm clock alarms?), Media Sounds, Touch Sounds, Calendar Events, & Reminders. None of these give sub menus.

Under App Notifications you have a picker list and you can select which apps to allow to bypass DND. The issue I see with this is it will allow ALL notifications from the app through, not just select or important (critical) notifications. 

I only use UD Mobile for critical notifications, so I will test that function out. 

For most of my routine notifications, I use Pushover. I wouldn't want to allow all of my Pushover notifications to bypass DND. That was what was nice about having a specific sound channel, I would allow the sounds I use for critical alarms or important notifications thru, using long Persistent sound.

I found an article about the upgrade on Digital Trends dated 2 weeks ago, that says in part:

"Another neat addition is the ability to directly control the notification behavior from within an app. When you long press on an app’s notification and tap on the Settings button that appears below it, you will head straight to the app’s settings section, where you have access to granular controls.

Don’t see the option you’re looking for? At the bottom of the page, you have an option that says In-app notification settings, which will redirect you to the settings page inside that particular app. Again, it’s a minor addition, but it saves you the hassle of juggling between two apps when you’re trying to streamline the notification behavior to your liking.

One UI 5 also lets you set exceptions when you want to see urgent alerts from a few critical apps but have enabled the Do Not Disturb mode. Another underrated – but equally important upgrade – is seeking permission. When you open an app for the first time, you will see a dialogue box explicitly asking for your permission to send notifications.

If it’s an app that isn’t important, you can block it from sending unnecessary notifications right away. One final change people will appreciate from a privacy perspective is the ability to hide notifications when connected to a TV. If your phone is linked to a TV using the Smart View feature, you can block the phone notifications so that everyone in the room staring at the TV doesn’t see those alerts."

However, I don't have the "In-app notification settings" short cut mentioned and when I go to the app notification settings, I only see what I posted.

In short, if a work around is possible, I would like to be able to only allow specific notifications (by sound?) to bypass DND in both UD Mobile & Pushover.

7 minutes ago, DennisC said:

From the DND settings screen, you can establish a schedule, and allow the following to bypass DND: Calls & messages, Alarms & sounds, and App notifications.

Under App Notifications you have a picker list and you can select which apps to allow to bypass DND. The issue I see with this is it will allow ALL notifications from the app through, not just select or important (critical) notifications. 

I only use UD Mobile for critical notifications, so I will test that function out. 

Under DND > App Notifications when I click ADD then select UD Mobile I'm shown the Notifications Channels to allow. 

I read on a few forums that Samsung and OnePlus have DND missing at the same locations you describe,  unfortunately the user/system controls these settings so the app can not make changes only push users to the settings page.