Notification Setup using Network Resources

Javi

1 minute ago, Javi said:

Under DND > App Notifications when I click ADD then select UD Mobile I'm shown the Notifications Channels to allow. 

I read on a few forums that Samsung and OnePlus have DND missing at the same locations you describe,  unfortunately the user/system controls these settings so the app can not make changes only push users to the settings page.

Are you running Android 13?

• 1 month later...

So the notifications overall works very nicely.  From the way I understand it, you have to create a network resource option for every condition then trigger than resource ie relay closed send network resource w/ message valve open.

I have a bunch of water sensors so I have to create an on/off network resource for each and then activate versus with notifications you can just do a send notification and it will put in the body of the email the state of the device.

18 minutes ago, gages97 said:

So the notifications overall works very nicely.  From the way I understand it, you have to create a network resource option for every condition then trigger than resource ie relay closed send network resource w/ message valve open.

I have a bunch of water sensors so I have to create an on/off network resource for each and then activate versus with notifications you can just do a send notification and it will put in the body of the email the state of the device.

You can also use the same email notifications in the Notification Node Server with UD Mobile. 

There are still some outstanding issues to be worked out in firmware when sending Notification data to a Node Server.

Firmware limitations

-          If there is a subject in the notification then only the subject is used

-          If there is no subject then the body is used

-          Maximum of 80 characters are returned

Network resource substitutions can use some, but not all, of the substitutions documented in the Wiki, and there may be some (rare) race conditions which you may encounter (specifically, calling a resource using variables from within a program which modifies the value of those same variables).

Regarding the "valve status" mentioned above, I've had great results using node status substitutions in network resources.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Easy notification setup here. I got a ton of these set up in a short amount of time. Customized sounds, choosing some to override DND and even setting some notifications to silent from within Android settings is easy. Your work here is much appreciated!

Not sure if these ideas would be feature requests or I just can't find how to do them. I was thinking that it would be cool if the notification I received could have a button to execute a command or program. Couple examples of use cases:

- Notification for Garage door left open for too long. Here's a button to close it from within the notification. 

- Notification says that the kids left the basement lights on after bedtime -  Here's a button to turn them off from within the notification.

I'm also thinking about adding an Insteon sensor to my doorbell for UD notifications when it rings. I use a (mostly) CCTV camera system because my wife doesn't trust the "Privacy" policies of the streaming doorbell companies. What about a camera feed (or link to one) in the UD notification? 

TIA - Charlie Kallberg

12 hours ago, CKallberg said:

Not sure if these ideas would be feature requests or I just can't find how to do them. I was thinking that it would be cool if the notification I received could have a button to execute a command or program. Couple examples of use cases:

- Notification for Garage door left open for too long. Here's a button to close it from within the notification. 

- Notification says that the kids left the basement lights on after bedtime -  Here's a button to turn them off from within the notification.

Added to our list, but we are currently months out for new features. https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc/UD-Mobile-Android/issues/44

12 hours ago, CKallberg said:

I'm also thinking about adding an Insteon sensor to my doorbell for UD notifications when it rings. I use a (mostly) CCTV camera system because my wife doesn't trust the "Privacy" policies of the streaming doorbell companies. What about a camera feed (or link to one) in the UD notification? 

While this is not implemented into UD Mobile I've done it before with tasker.  Adding camera feeds to UD Mobile is high on our list, but I do not have an ETA.

In case you are interested in DIY implementation.

Doorbell sensor:

https://voiceforiot.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/traditional-doorbell-wireless-sensor/

Triggering video, this is on a watch but could be on a phone also:

Thanks for the quick reply, getting these on your list and the doorbell idea @Javi.
I was doing a bit of tinkering and found a (not-so-elegant) solution to use in the meantime. 

I created a webhook in ISY Portal to control the scene and pasted it in the network resource notification body. My (Android) phone provides an "Open link" button in the notification. 

Now I just need to figure out how to get a local link to my camera feed for the doorbell implementation.

Screenshot.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had this set up and working since Oct 2022. Now as of 3/20, it quit.  Seems to happen concurrent with a UD Mobile update.  What should I check to get it going again?  I already tried resetting the API and updating the info in Network resources.

Thanks,

John

21 minutes ago, JSchumann said:

I have had this set up and working since Oct 2022. Now as of 3/20, it quit.  Seems to happen concurrent with a UD Mobile update.  What should I check to get it going again?  I already tried resetting the API and updating the info in Network resources.

Thanks,

John

There were no production releases until today, so likely not cause by app update.  Check app permissions for notifications.  Notification settings have a test button, does this work? Verify API key doesn't have a space at the end.

Javi, No space at beginning or end of API Key.  This is what I get when I run a test....but nothing on UD Mobile:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
X-Powered-By: Express
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Vary: Origin
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Type:

When I run a test on UD Mobile itself, I get a test notification.

Where do I check permissions?

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, JSchumann said:

Javi, No space at beginning or end of API Key.  This is what I get when I run a test....but nothing on UD Mobile:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
X-Powered-By: Express
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Vary: Origin
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Type:

When I run a test on UD Mobile itself, I get a test notification.

Where do I check permissions?

Thanks,

John

That is a success message, so the call is making it to Portal. If you received a notification on test, then Portal can contact Mobile Device.   To access Permissions on Android, long click the app icon then select App Info (i) icon > Permissions > notifications then verify all are enabled. On iOS this is in the iOS Settings > UD Mobile > Notifications.

Are the notifications listed on the Notifications Tab? The notifications tab request notifications from server so it is independent of Notification Permissions.  So, if they are not listed on the Notifications Tab, then the notification is not being sent to the correct account, device, or group.

Are you sending notifications to a specific device or group?  If you are please verify the group/device id is correct. If using group verify the device is in the group.

If none of the above solves the issue please copy the "Actual" part of the Network Resource and post here, be sure to remove your API key before posting.

22 hours ago, Javi said:

That is a success message, so the call is making it to Portal. If you received a notification on test, then Portal can contact Mobile Device.   To access Permissions on Android, long click the app icon then select App Info (i) icon > Permissions > notifications then verify all are enabled. On iOS this is in the iOS Settings > UD Mobile > Notifications.

Are the notifications listed on the Notifications Tab? The notifications tab request notifications from server so it is independent of Notification Permissions.  So, if they are not listed on the Notifications Tab, then the notification is not being sent to the correct account, device, or group.

Are you sending notifications to a specific device or group?  If you are please verify the group/device id is correct. If using group verify the device is in the group.

If none of the above solves the issue please copy the "Actual" part of the Network Resource and post here, be sure to remove your API key before posting.

Hi @Javi, You have been a big help!

- I checked permissions, they were all OK

- Notifications were listed on the notifications tab

- Sending to a specific group....In my program it was listed to send to 'Family' But on UD Mobile the slider for family was set of off.  Putting it back to on made everything work again!!!  Not sure how it go to off.

- So I wanted to try to send to just my device (it is the only device listed in family), So I modified the program to remove family and put my device id in there.  And it doesn't work.  What do I have to do to just send to my device?  Not sure what I did wrong...

- I reverted back to family, and it all works OK.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,

John

1 hour ago, JSchumann said:

Hi @Javi, You have been a big help!

- I checked permissions, they were all OK

- Notifications were listed on the notifications tab

- Sending to a specific group....In my program it was listed to send to 'Family' But on UD Mobile the slider for family was set of off.  Putting it back to on made everything work again!!!  Not sure how it go to off.

- So I wanted to try to send to just my device (it is the only device listed in family), So I modified the program to remove family and put my device id in there.  And it doesn't work.  What do I have to do to just send to my device?  Not sure what I did wrong...

- I reverted back to family, and it all works OK.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,

John

Great!  We discovered a server side bug in group enrollment a few weeks ago which may have caused the issue. This issue has been resolved so please let us know if the device becomes unenrolled in a group again.  In my opinion Groups are the best way to send to a single user. When you get a new device you only need to add it to the group instead of changing all your notifications.  The method to send to a single device is not documented on our wiki as the prefered method is grouping.

8 hours ago, Javi said:

Great!  We discovered a server side bug in group enrollment a few weeks ago which may have caused the issue. This issue has been resolved so please let us know if the device becomes unenrolled in a group again.  In my opinion Groups are the best way to send to a single user. When you get a new device you only need to add it to the group instead of changing all your notifications.  The method to send to a single device is not documented on our wiki as the prefered method is grouping.

OK, so stand fast with what I have.  Interesting on not documenting how to send to a single device (I did look before posting).  

So did anyone else have issues like I did?  Thanks again.  Will let you know if I have any more issues.

Thanks,

John

14 hours ago, JSchumann said:

OK, so stand fast with what I have.  Interesting on not documenting how to send to a single device (I did look before posting).  

So did anyone else have issues like I did?  Thanks again.  Will let you know if I have any more issues.

Thanks,

John

The API to send to a single device is available by request for Node Server developers. It was not included in the Network Resource Examples for reasons stated above.  Jimbo's Notification Node Server uses this api, but only after checking the Device Name. So the Node Server is essentially creating it's own groups with the Device Name being the group name. 

We discovered the group issues during testing, it was not reported by any users until your post.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, asbril said:

I have seen the notion of Network resources multiple times, but I don't know what it really means. Can someone, in simple words, explain what Network resources are ? Thanks !!!!

I will give it a shot - 

From the wiki here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Series_INSTEON:Networking:Network_Resources

Network Resources is a powerful feature of the ISY-99, allowing you to interface with a virtually unlimited number of network-enabled devices!

While a little outdated, the concept still applies.

You can send small scripts to other network devices to run commands. You can create them your self by going to Configuration - Networking - Network Resources.

As an example, the Notification node server easily allows you to send Notification of all sorts by using Network Resources. In the Network Resource you can include email substitutions (https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Series:EMail_and_Networking_Substitution_Variables) to give status of various devices.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying out notifications in UD Mobile and I have a white background (better for my eyes).

The subject is a nice-contrasting black font on white; however, the body is a light-gray font on white. 

It's hard to read.

Can the body font color (and size) be changed either in Network Resources or in the app?

Can I use HTML to format the message in Network Resources?

Thanks,

Ross

53 minutes ago, Ross said:

I'm trying out notifications in UD Mobile and I have a white background (better for my eyes).

The subject is a nice-contrasting black font on white; however, the body is a light-gray font on white. 

It's hard to read.

Can the body font color (and size) be changed either in Network Resources or in the app?

Can I use HTML to format the message in Network Resources?

Thanks,

Ross

Hi @Ross,

Subtitle text will be darker in Light Modes in the next update.  This should change everywhere in the app, please let me know if you find somewhere else where text color change is needed.

As for text size this is handled by the operating system.  In both Android and iOS you can change the default font size and the app should adjust automatically.   This has been tested on most screens, but if you find a screen not honoring these values please let us know.

2 hours ago, Javi said:

Hi @Ross,

Subtitle text will be darker in Light Modes in the next update.  This should change everywhere in the app, please let me know if you find somewhere else where text color change is needed.

As for text size this is handled by the operating system.  In both Android and iOS you can change the default font size and the app should adjust automatically.   This has been tested on most screens, but if you find a screen not honoring these values please let us know.

Thanks Javi.  The darker font in the body should be sufficient.  - Ross

• Like 1