Insteon SWL burned out, where to go now?

andrew77

Hi guys,

With Insteon maybe coming back (I'm not sure if they'll resume making their KPLs and SWLSs) I'm unclear what to do next.

I have an ISY994i and all my devices are Insteon. I just had a SWL go down.

I'm not sure what the best replacement is for it (I've read about Z-Wave etc but I have no experience with it) 

Also I don't believe I can run Z-Wave 700 series? And I don't think I could purchase 500 series devices.

Just looking for some thoughts and guidance as to where all this is headed now. I assume I'm not the only one in this dilemma.

Any thoughts would be great.

(If this isnt the proper forum for this question I apologize)

Drew

@andrew77 I've moved this to the "Coffee Shop" area as it's kind of a "what product to I buy next" rather than trying to get help with something. 

There are tons of threads here asking similar questions. I'd suggest you take time to look around this area and find that it's mostly up to user preference and need. 

Most of the threads would be back around the April/May time soon after Insteon turned off the lights. 

If you've just had one device go bad you could consider a repair option. Or buying parts if you have the ability/skill to repair yourself.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, Geddy said:

@andrew77 I've moved this to the "Coffee Shop" area as it's kind of a "what product to I buy next" rather than trying to get help with something. 

There are tons of threads here asking similar questions. I'd suggest you take time to look around this area and find that it's mostly up to user preference and need. 

Most of the threads would be back around the April/May time soon after Insteon turned off the lights. 

If you've just had one device go bad you could consider a repair option. Or buying parts if you have the ability/skill to repair yourself.

Thank you Geddy. I'll check out Coffee Shop👍

• Thanks 1

the majority of my devices are Insteon: I am committed to stay with my insteon devices indefinetely. If the PLM goes bad it is most likely because of bad capacitors which can be replaced. Except for the PLM, Insteon devices are cheap right now on ebay because a lot of people unloading their Insteon devices: You can get a replacement Insteon device or you can add zwave to your ISY994i and integrate a zwave devices into your setup assuming that the Z-Wave 700 series boards are available. And if the controller itself is bad and cannot be repaired you can buy and upgrade to polisy... a more radical option is to build yourself a HA server and switch over to an entirely different setup...

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Insteon said yesterday that they will have some product available in their store in days.  Unknown what's coming in stock and I expect it to only be the biggest sellers like a 2477D and other items like that.

This is great news. I hadn’t heard that. 
I’ll check out their website I’m assuming?

Just now, andrew77 said:

This is great news. I hadn’t heard that. 
I’ll check out their website I’m assuming?

They had a webinar "Lunch with Insteon" yesterday.  They didn't say exactly when, but to watch their emails in the next few days.  if you aren't on the new owners email list there is a sign-up in the footer of every page on insteon.com.  They only sent one email to to the former smarthome.com customer list suggesting sign up. If you had a hub registered I think you were automatically added (but most ISY users don't have hubs).   When items are for sale I would expect to find them at https://shop.insteon.com/