How to quickly test leak sensors

tome

I recently upgraded my ISY to 4.9.  Unbeknownst to me the previous version (which I had been running for a very long time) default smtp server apparently didn’t work and I was not getting notifications. Once I upgraded to 4.9 I got notifications of missed heartbeats on 4 of my leak sensors.  I figured it was batteries since they have been in place for many years.  I replaced the batteries yesterday afternoon and figured that would solve the issue.  It didn’t.  I got missed heartbeats again this morning.  Checked contacts, etc when changing batteries so I’m pretty sure all that is fine.  My question is what is a quick and easy way to see if the leak sensors are still working?

-Tom

1 hour ago, tome said:

Yes, Insteon leak sensors.  Thanks!  Out of curiosity, if I leave the mode in the wet position, it will clear itself at some point yes?

-Tom

NO

To test the sensor place it on a wet paper towel. Once the wet node is on you need to manually reset the sensor by pressing the set button once. The wet should then show as off and the dry mode as on.

3 hours ago, tome said:

Out of curiosity, if I leave the mode in the wet position, it will clear itself at some point yes?

That depends.  There are two versions of the leak sensor (I'm lucky enough to have some of each)  One version clears itself as soon as it's dry or picked up.   The other version stays "wet" until the contacts are out of water AND you have pressed the button once.

Interesting.  I have two versions of the leak sensors:

2852-222 v.41

and 

2852-222 v.00

I left all 4 of them in the "wet on" mode after testing and all of them reset themselves back to "dry on" ("wet off") by themselves.  I didn't reset them or do anything other than setting them back down on the floor...

-Tom

@tome I'm not sure of what the version numbers are for the different products, but as @MrBill mentioned there was a comment. not long ago, about different versions of these devices...here's a post from @Teken that describes their behavior:

And just so it's linked for reference @Teken also posted a good thread about repairing Leak Sensors if that's ever needed. It's been archived so found it through a Google Site Search, but you should be able to see at this link: