Restoring ISY 994i

RLC99888

My ISY is no longer working and I'm not sure how or if I can recover it.  At this point, the red error light on the front of the unit is flashing and I cannot access the unit with the Admin Console.  I just get various connection errors when I attempt to use the console.  I'd like any advice I can get on this.

Here's the chain of events that led to this.  Things were working fine.  This is a 994i unit.  It had firmware and UI of v4.7.3.  I've been using an old iPad with an app to operate the unit, which has been fine.  However, I wanted to start using a Samsung galaxy device and the UD Mobile app said I had to upgrade to at least 5.0.16.  So, I attempted to do that.  After that upgrade, device communication seemed fine, but most of my programs were yellow flagged and indicated that they didn't load and were out of memory.  I tried a couple things but couldn't get my programs to work.  So, I did a restore.  It completed fine but did not restore my previous firmware.  I was still at v5.0.16.  My UI btw was still at v4.7.3.  After this "restore", my programs were still all yellow flagged with the not loaded and out of memory messages.  So, I attempted to "upgrade" to an older version.  When searching the forum for previous releases, it happened to download v4.9.x.  So, I attempted to upgrade to that.  The upgrade process appeared to complete successfully.  But at that point, I landed where I am now.  So, the red error light is flashing and I cannot connect to the unit with the Admin Console.  Finally, I attempted a rest (i.e., a toothpick in the front of the unit).  That appeared to respond, but the red error light is still flashing and I can't connect to the unit.

So, any advice on how to recover?  Or am I totally hosed!

24 minutes ago, RLC99888 said:

My ISY is no longer working and I'm not sure how or if I can recover it.  At this point, the red error light on the front of the unit is flashing and I cannot access the unit with the Admin Console.  I just get various connection errors when I attempt to use the console.  I'd like any advice I can get on this.

Here's the chain of events that led to this.  Things were working fine.  This is a 994i unit.  It had firmware and UI of v4.7.3.  I've been using an old iPad with an app to operate the unit, which has been fine.  However, I wanted to start using a Samsung galaxy device and the UD Mobile app said I had to upgrade to at least 5.0.16.  So, I attempted to do that.  After that upgrade, device communication seemed fine, but most of my programs were yellow flagged and indicated that they didn't load and were out of memory.  I tried a couple things but couldn't get my programs to work.  So, I did a restore.  It completed fine but did not restore my previous firmware.  I was still at v5.0.16.  My UI btw was still at v4.7.3.  After this "restore", my programs were still all yellow flagged with the not loaded and out of memory messages.  So, I attempted to "upgrade" to an older version.  When searching the forum for previous releases, it happened to download v4.9.x.  So, I attempted to upgrade to that.  The upgrade process appeared to complete successfully.  But at that point, I landed where I am now.  So, the red error light is flashing and I cannot connect to the unit with the Admin Console.  Finally, I attempted a rest (i.e., a toothpick in the front of the unit).  That appeared to respond, but the red error light is still flashing and I can't connect to the unit.

So, any advice on how to recover?  Or am I totally hosed!

I'd clear Java cache, go back to 5.0.16, and fully read the instructions from the  firmware page which details how to fix the yellow

I cleared Java cached, but am unable to access the unit using a web browser.  If I enter the IP address it can't connect.  Again, the red light is now flashing on the front of the device.  In reading the user manual, it says that the file system is corrupted and that I need a new SD card.  So, I'm assuming that the attempt to upgrade the firmware to the older version (v4.9.x) somehow corrupted the SD card.  And again, I tried a unit reset using a toothpick in the front of the device, which seemed to respond but has not cleared the flashing red light. 

Should I remove and reseat the SD card?  Or should I just buy a new SD card?

@RLC99888 The WIKI gives you help about what the light indicates:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs/Lights

Do you have/use z-wave with your current ISY? If not then you should ultimately upgrade all the way to 5.3.4. The current version of Firmware for the ISY994 and steps for install are found here: https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/33287-534-update-for-isy994-july-30-2021

As @lilyoyo1 suggests you need to read the release information for the new firmware as they do require a lot of manual intervention. 

The final thing is to attempt to use the ISY Launcher method to connect to admin console once your device is behaving better.  (Also some of this is in the wiki: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Launcher_cannot_find_ISY)  Using the ISY Launcher will always ensure you match firmware and user interface. If you're 4.9, but your UI is 4.7.3 you need to clear java, download a new ISY Launcher and run it to get the ISY Launcher icon on your desktop (by the way are you on Windows of macOS?). Before you get too much further...delete any old admin.jnlp or start.jnlp files you have ANYWHERE on your computer.

This is the icon you're looking for:

image.png

The ISY994 uses a MicroSD card so if you end up replacing that get an A1 rated MicroSD.

Back in operation!  I'd assumed that the flashing red light meant my second upgrade had somehow corrupted files on the SD card, but when I used the correct ISY Launcher I was able to connect and display the console.  At this point I've successfully upgraded to 5.3.4, resolved issues with my programs and saved them, and appear to be all good.

Thanks much for the help!

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, RLC99888 said:

At this point I've successfully upgraded to 5.3.4, resolved issues with my programs and saved them, and appear to be all good.

Great to hear! Before you get too far into it make sure that if you had any programs that were disabled prior to the update are disabled. That's another quirk that has been reported (and I remember having happen) from the 4.x to 5.x update. All my disabled programs became active and it wasn't until some strange actions did I realize this. Just something to doublecheck. 

Also, be sure you read here and on the wiki about UD Mobile. The wiki will walk you step-by-step to make sure you have things setup correctly for best access of the ISY both while home and while remote. You'll need to make sure you have an active ISY Portal subscription!

Will do.  Actually, I use a number of disabled programs that I call from other parent programs.  However, I reset them all to be disabled again.  I had to do some other housekeeping to get my programs working properly, and they all had to be saved.  Again, I'm good.  Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1