Insteon Webinar 11/4/2022

Techman

For the sake of transparency, last week Ken asked me whether or not we would like to add support for their Topaz line (x Nokia). I asked two questions in return: a) do you have API docs and b) status of PLM. Based on the answers I got, we would not be supporting these devices till we have both or commission from the sales to our customers. In essence, I don't want to go bankrupt with reverse engineering, tech support, and without the ability to recoup our investment.

Perhaps there are other arrangements such as selling the firmware. But, since we are not equipped with firmware upgrade sales, it's going to take be a major effort to move to that business model. 

Hopefully they get the PLMs soon and thus all the above will be moot.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'd love to ask him about the possibility of open sourcing the insteon environment. However I am working the polls for early voting in North Carolina so cannot attend the seminar.

In my opinion the only viable long-term strategy for insteon to is to open source the whole thing. I'm sure there are other opinions about this, but I feel with Zwave out there, having been adopted by Leviton, and so many others, that remaining proprietary is just not viable for insteon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, d529518 said:

I'd love to ask him about the possibility of open sourcing the insteon environment. However I am working the polls for early voting in North Carolina so cannot attend the seminar.

In my opinion the only viable long-term strategy for insteon to is to open source the whole thing. I'm sure there are other opinions about this, but I feel with Zwave out there, having been adopted by Leviton, and so many others, that remaining proprietary is just not viable for insteon.

In the format they offer (questions selected and presented by the moderator then answered... it's NOT an open mic format) this type of question will never be selected.  Why?  it's not a simple answer.   You can try anyway if you wish, submit your questions via the feedback link on insteon.com and then watch the replay of the call. 

On 10/28/2022 at 11:00 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

For the sake of transparency, last week Ken asked me whether or not we would like to add support for their Topaz line (x Nokia). I asked two questions in return: a) do you have API docs and b) status of PLM. Based on the answers I got, we would not be supporting these devices till we have both or commission from the sales to our customers. In essence, I don't want to go bankrupt with reverse engineering, tech support, and without the ability to recoup our investment.

Perhaps there are other arrangements such as selling the firmware. But, since we are not equipped with firmware upgrade sales, it's going to take be a major effort to move to that business model. 

Hopefully they get the PLMs soon and thus all the above will be moot.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

Can you please clarify for me? Does it sound like Ken is amiable to providing you required info for ISY to support the ex-Nokia dimmers and switches and you will consider doing so once PLMs are back in stock? Otherwise I'm not sure why Ken would ask you if they weren't going to provide some basic level of assistance?

FWIW I would love to see such support.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:21 PM, d529518 said:

I signed up for the seminar and that was the exact question I submitted, i.e. licensing or open-sourcing the Insteon protocol.  So we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdynak said:

Thanks Mr. Bill.

Hmm.. no outdoor module. Was waiting on that one. 

Be sure to send them feedback, support@insteon.com that you are very interested in seeing that module and ask if may be coming and missed the list.

• Like 1

For those that didn't listen to the webinar:

They mentioned that Insteon will eventually support Matter.

You can go onto their store product page and have them email you when an out-of-stock product is available.

PLMs, serial and USB will be in stock about March, 2023

and last but not least, they said that they will be coming out with new products next year.

• Thanks 1

Sure wish they restock the Insteon Mini Remote 8-Scene Keypads 2343-222 and the Micro Dimmer Switch Modules 2442-222. I've been waiting for them for a couple of years now. Another PLM would be nice too provided we'll still need them for the eisy(?).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLnut said:

Sure wish they restock the Insteon Mini Remote 8-Scene Keypads 2343-222 and the Micro Dimmer Switch Modules 2442-222. I've been waiting for them for a couple of years now. Another PLM would be nice too provided we'll still need them for the eisy(?).

Send them an email request.

PLMs will be in stock about March, 2023