Can't install Admin Console on Windows 11

RGKS

I've been a long time user of the ISY admin console, but since I've updated to windows 11 I've had problems getting the start.JNLP file to install the admin console on my desktop, which I've never had an issue in the past. I still have a running version on my MacBook pro so I know its computer related. I did get it to work once after several attempts by going into the java cache viewer and selecting the application and creating a desktop icon, but now I can even get it to install the application after updating to the newest ISY firmware. I've try deleting all java content and Java itself and installing a fresh copy but still no luck. Tried all the troubleshooting advise on the wiki page including running the start file with javaws and the below steps from another tread.

1. Clear Java Cache (yes, again). Be sure you select all three boxes in the process
    image.png
  2. Refer to this wiki article to remove .state files - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Admin_Console_Minimized/Invisible_and_Cannot_be_Restored   
    (***NEW STEP you might not have done before!***)
  3. Delete ALL start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files downloaded ANYWHERE on your computer
  4. download a fresh start.jnlp version from UDI - https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp
  5. Run start.jnlp
  6. Should put fresh ISY Launcher icon on desktop

Wondering if anybody has encounter the same issues and was able to fix it? 

Cheers!

This process becomes more crytic and hidden every improvement of Windows and ISY. Gives users something to do. :)

For windows 11 here is what I had to do.

Run the URL from your posted step 4 above. Select "Save File" from the options. This will create a file called "start.jnlp" in you downloaded files folder in Windows 11. I have my "Downloaded Documents" moved to my Desktop. I hate Windows always attempting to hide everything. The icon will be some unfamiliar avatar you may have never seen before.

Click your  "Start" button on your task bar. Select "All apps" on top right corner. Now search down through your app list for "IoX". Right click on it, select "More",  and "pin to taskbar"

Now you should have the familiar icon/avatar show up on your taskbar for easy launch of the new renamed "IoX" = ISY launcher.

12 hours ago, larryllix said:

This process becomes more crytic and hidden every improvement of Windows and ISY. Gives users something to do. :)

For windows 11 here is what I had to do.

Run the URL from your posted step 4 above. Select "Save File" from the options. This will create a file called "start.jnlp" in you downloaded files folder in Windows 11. I have my "Downloaded Documents" moved to my Desktop. I hate Windows always attempting to hide everything. The icon will be some unfamiliar avatar you may have never seen before.

Click your  "Start" button on your task bar. Select "All apps" on top right corner. Now search down through your app list for "IoX". Right click on it, select "More",  and "pin to taskbar"

Now you should have the familiar icon/avatar show up on your taskbar for easy launch of the new renamed "IoX" = ISY launcher.

I looked for the "IoX" app but none available. I don't get a unfamiliar avatar icon...Everything seem normal on my desktop (pic) but for some odd reason the start.jnlp will not install the java app. 

image.thumb.png.1ed37eb34b5e3c5278c614547e8533d4.png

2 hours ago, RGKS said:

I looked for the "IoX" app but none available. I don't get a unfamiliar avatar icon...Everything seem normal on my desktop (pic) but for some odd reason the start.jnlp will not install the java app. 

image.thumb.png.1ed37eb34b5e3c5278c614547e8533d4.png

Not on your Desktop. It would be found in your "Downloaded Documents" folder and I doubt it is java. The admin console will be java after the downloaded app loads it.

11 hours ago, larryllix said:

Not on your Desktop. It would be found in your "Downloaded Documents" folder and I doubt it is java. The admin console will be java after the downloaded app loads it.

I did pull the file from the download folder "start.jnlp" to my desktop. Not sure if you are referring to something else. I'm going to try and do a bit of research on .jnlp not running since it seems to be pointing to an issue with java which I've always found to be flaky even on a good day. I remember a comment made that the app maybe moving away from JAVA which would be great! a lot of browsers don't support it any more hence why I'm trying to get the app working. 

11 minutes ago, RGKS said:

I did pull the file from the download folder "start.jnlp" to my desktop. Not sure if you are referring to something else. I'm going to try and do a bit of research on .jnlp not running since it seems to be pointing to an issue with java which I've always found to be flaky even on a good day. I remember a comment made that the app maybe moving away from JAVA which would be great! a lot of browsers don't support it any more hence why I'm trying to get the app working. 

Java is likely one of the most popular programming languages in the world still.  I doubt you will see UDI move away from java. There would be no advantage. The admin console runs in java and is not related to, or use, any browser. 

Your java firewall is likely blocking it from running freely and will need to have permissions installed to allow the admin console to run. There is a security tab in the java setup app, found in your Windows Control Panel

Browsers use javascript language. The two are not similar or related.

Edited by larryllix
18 hours ago, RGKS said:

but for some odd reason the start.jnlp will not install the java app. 

Not sure what you mean by this. start.jnlp isn't trying to install anything Java. It's just going to put the ISY Launcher (now IoX Launcher) icon on your desktop.

I do not use Win11 yet, but does it have a way to set default apps like available in Win10? Look at (Windows) Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by file type

In Win10 I have the option that .jnlp files are associated with Java(TM) Web Launcher)

image.png

This way when I run/double click the start.jnlp it auto runs in Java and runs the processes as expected. 

Your issue seems that Java was not installed correctly, the .jnlp is not associated with Java, or you have anti-virus and/or firewall running. Above you said you don't have either anti-virus (other than Windows Defender) or firewall running (mostly 3rd party anti-virus and firewall will block .jnlp from running).

I would follow the steps you posted in your original message. You can ignore Step 2 (doesn't apply). After Step 3 I would uninstall Java (again?). On the Java website there is a tool to remove all old versions of Java (https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp). 

REBOOT your computer

Then re-install Java (from java.com)

You should see this when installing: (screenshot from today 11/15/22)

image.png

Then continue with step 4 from your original post. Check if Win11 has the same setting to associate file types with apps and be sure you have .jnlp set for Java Web Launcher. 

I know there is a growing number of Win11 users on here that don't seem to have issues. 

17 hours ago, Geddy said:

Not sure what you mean by this. start.jnlp isn't trying to install anything Java. It's just going to put the ISY Launcher (now IoX Launcher) icon on your desktop.

I do not use Win11 yet, but does it have a way to set default apps like available in Win10? Look at (Windows) Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by file type

In Win10 I have the option that .jnlp files are associated with Java(TM) Web Launcher)

image.png

This way when I run/double click the start.jnlp it auto runs in Java and runs the processes as expected. 

Your issue seems that Java was not installed correctly, the .jnlp is not associated with Java, or you have anti-virus and/or firewall running. Above you said you don't have either anti-virus (other than Windows Defender) or firewall running (mostly 3rd party anti-virus and firewall will block .jnlp from running).

I would follow the steps you posted in your original message. You can ignore Step 2 (doesn't apply). After Step 3 I would uninstall Java (again?). On the Java website there is a tool to remove all old versions of Java (https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp). 

REBOOT your computer

Then re-install Java (from java.com)

You should see this when installing: (screenshot from today 11/15/22)

image.png

Then continue with step 4 from your original post. Check if Win11 has the same setting to associate file types with apps and be sure you have .jnlp set for Java Web Launcher. 

I know there is a growing number of Win11 users on here that don't seem to have issues. 

Sorry, didn't use the right terminology, that is what I meant by install, that it would add the IoX launcher. I think I'm honing in on the issue. I uninstalled JAVA using the recommended software as you indicated and the start.jnlp still has the JAVA logo and I still have an option in my "open with" to launch it with JAVA which I would have expected it to be gone. It seem I have leftover files of some sort that I need to remove before installing JAVA again.   

I use windows 11 and don't (and never have) make use of the "Exception Site List"
http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2022_11/image.png.f33eaef797ecd0e56bdefe96b22814aa.png
It was existing from Win 10. Still sounds like his problem though.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

On 11/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, Geddy said:

I run admin console from 3 different Win10 machines and never had to add anything like you're showing. 

FINALLY got it to work...for some odd reason...when I ran it manually in cmd it worked right away. Just typed the following command: javasw "JNLP file location".

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...