ISY on Polisy, Email Notifications

RMichael
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Moved my ISY over to Polisy and attempted to implement eMail notifications. I entered the information for my Outlook accounts and created a group and then saved. When I clicked on test, no appears to happen. I don't get any errors or receive a Test eMail. I have observed that a minute or so after clicking the Test button I am prompted to login and then told that the ISY has restarted and to open another session.

Any Ideas?

• Solution
On 11/23/2022 at 10:47 AM, RMichael said:

I entered the information for my Outlook accounts and created a group and then saved.

There had been some discussion earlier this spring or Summer that Outlook was having more problems than people using Gmail. Even at one point a user said their Outlook.com account was causing the ISY service to crash. 

I might suggest getting an ISY Specific Gmail account and attempting to setup following the wiki setup that was updated after Gmail changed to require 2 step authentication for the account. 

Follow the setup here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994:Configure_Mail_Server_Settings

For testing though (with my IoP that's not in normal service) I was able to get Outlook to send a test message. It seemed to take a little while to think about it, but it worked. 

My setup is as shown here:

image.png

NOTE: I do have 2FA turned on for my Microsoft account so I had to go to the account security and create an app specific password for this to work. 

Read more about that here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

Also, make sure you have at least one entry in the "groups" for recipients for the test message to go to. It can't send a test message to nowhere! I used my ISY specific gmail account and it showed up in the "inbox" for the gmail account. Sometimes the TEST message is treated as Spam and might end up in the spam folder. But this time it did go to inbox as expected.

Personally, I've had better success with Gmail than Outlook for these types of alerts. 

I did have some errors/lines in the error log, but they seemed to be mostly informational lines (-17001 error IDs). I did not check on my primary ISY994 if I get the same lines when sending from Gmail. 

• Like 3