Is ISY Portal down ?

bmercier
Go to solution Solved by bmercier,

4 minutes ago, xlurkr said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but could you guys set up a separate watchdog computer that pings your own portal (but doesn't depend in any way on it) and send us (if we've opted in to such a thing) an email that the service is down/up?

-Tom

Thanks for the suggestion.

We are already planning for a similar feature. It would actually test connectivity down to your ISY and send you a push notification. This way, it would detect if your ISY disconnects from portal.

Not depending on portal though is a bit trickier as the database itself is required to know the list of current registered users. Will look into that, it's a good suggestion.

Thanks,

Benoit

13 hours ago, johnstonf said:

I'm getting SOooooo tired (and the whole household) of hearing 'sorry I couldn't reach Universal Devices' and everyone goes 'NOT AGAIN'... how can this be made more reliable?? I'm using Google devices, others using Alexa, apparently, so it's not on my/out end...

With all due respect, these outages are rare and don't last a long time. I have more outages with Comcast and these last longer.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, bmercier said:

Not depending on portal though is a bit trickier as the database itself is required to know the list of current registered users. Will look into that, it's a good suggestion.

I had thought about this, but you guys are really smart, and I bet you can figure out how to do it.  Given that many people (I'm one of them) would normally first experience this failure, should it happen again, as a failure of Alexa to work correctly, and that there are so many other reasons why Alexa can fail (and dare I say they're more probable, too), getting a proactive notification would be helpful.  And after the restoration, we'd know to relink if it still failed to work, as you suggested above.

If there's a third party that can provide the same service, which wouldn't surprise me, please consider that, too.  And anyone who reads this, if you know of an existing service I can use to get a notification, please let me (us) know.

-Tom

I agree with @asbril I depend on the portal for myself and also clients. It is rare that there is a non-planned outage and planned outages are announced well in advance. I would be curious to see the uptime metrics on the portal, both planned and non-planned. I suspect the non-planned downtime is in the four nines area per year; less than an hour, which is outstanding.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, bmercier said:

If you are referring to Alexa skill or google home, please relink. It may have become unlinked.

Portal services are all up.

Thank you! Re-linking the ISY Alexa skill did the trick.

This is the first time I've had to do this since I started using the portal 5 years ago and I was a bit concerned that I would lose my configured portal devices and spokens. I was happy to see that everything was restored after re-linking the skill and logging in using my ISY portal username and password. 

Apparently, re-linking the skill isn't a big deal. 

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2