Support thread for: IoX v.5.5.0

Hello all,

This is the support thread for IoX v5.5.0. In future releases, IoX will have its own forum and support not tied to any hardware:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/39380-iox-release-v550-is-now-available/

What to expect:

1. We could not get migration to work without losing all routing information. We will continue to work on it
2. OTA definitely has issues but now it's very highly likely that the issue is on the device side

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

We could not get migration to work without losing all routing information

Question (1) ..... Even with routing lost,  ZWave + / 700 should (gradually) find the optimum routing and, alternatively,  could I  perform an "Update Neighbors"  starting with the devices closest to my Polisy and then gradually going to the devices further away ?  Would that not resolve the routing issue ?

Question (2) ... Is there any negative to upgrade to 5.5.0 and wait for further updates before migrating to the ZMatter board ?

Edited by asbril

@Michel Kohanim,

Just attempted to upgrade from 5.4.5 to 5.5.0 and the upgrade does not start.  The Admin Console closed as usual, but there were none of the customary beeps from Polisy at the beginning of updates and the left most LED is green and steady.  I'm able to log back into the Admin Console and the version is still 5.4.5.

• Like 2

Trying to Include Matter Z-Wave devices but no nodes ever appear in the device tree.

1. "Remove a Z-Wave Device - See a pop-up progress bar that disappears when I click the wall switch.

2. Add a Z-Wave device - See a pop-up that it is interviewing the device......Takes much longer than with the old 700 dongle.

3. Run Synchronize New and Deleted with Interview... Again, takes a long time but no nodes are ever added to the device tree.

I try with several (wired devices) and see the device number incrementing but no nodes are added to the tree.

Z-Wave X-Ray "DH all devices" shows "Interview Not done" for each device that I tried to include.

The log shoes: 

Wed 12/14/2022 20:29:29 : [Device 2] Interview not complete: numCC=15 numCCDone=0 numCCAttempted=1

Am I missing something?

Edited by gviliunas
44 minutes ago, gviliunas said:

The log shoes: 

Wed 12/14/2022 20:29:29 : [Device 2] Interview not complete: numCC=15 numCCDone=0 numCCAttempted=1

Am I missing something?

Did you get a similar message for all the devices you added?  Please do the following from a browser and send me the output:

http://<yourIsy>:8080/rest/zmatter/zwave/dh/node/2/cc/0

Hi Chris, @Chris Jahn,

Yes, happens with every device. I've been resetting and retrying without any change in symptoms.

in this last case, Node 2 was a Homeseer WD200+ switch and Node 3 was a Aeon Multisensor 6 with wired-in power.

In each case, exclusion is speedy and as expected. Upon inclusion, Matter sees the event quickly but takes a much longer for the pop-up to disappear. After this, no nodes are added to the device tree.

If I try doing a sync (without interview) I get this message for both nodes in the log:

Wed 12/14/2022 22:04:21 : [Device 2] No completed device interview available, ignoring Sync request

Wed 12/14/2022 22:04:21 : [Device 3] No completed device interview available, ignoring Sync request

Matter Inclusion Result.zip

Edited by gviliunas
1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@mbking,

As mentioned, it might take a long time depending on how old your os level is. Please be patient.

With kind regards,

Michel

I've waited about an hour since starting the upgrade from the Admin Console and Polisy is still at 5.4.5.  In fact, it never seems to go into upgrade mode.  The left most LED stays solid green and the other lights are blank.  In previous upgrades, Polisy emits some beeps right after pressing the Upgrade button and the left most LED goes blank while the right 2 LED's blink.  That isn't happening this time.  Prior to running this update, I was on IoX 5.4.5 having updated to get the latest PG3 software recently.  I checked my OS version and it is 13.1-p4.  I think I was pretty much up to date before starting the upgrade.  IoX and PG3 are running normally; I just don't seem to be able to get the update to start.

I'm assuming an hour is long enough to wait for the upgrade to start and finish.  Is that a good assumption?  Is anyone else experiencing what I'm seeing?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gviliunas said:

Yes, happens with every device. I've bee resetting and retrying without any change in symptoms.

If you are up for some low-level debugging ... I'm not sure if you are able to use ssh and scp to get to Polisy, but if so, please do the following:

1)
From ssh

> tail -f /var/isy/FILES/LOG/ZWAY.LOG > mylog.txt

2) Restart ISY

3) Open the Admin Console

4) Exclude a device

5) Add a device

6) wait for it to finish, hit ctl-c in ssh, and then send me mylog.txt

After mine rebooting and showing v5.5.0 it has now crashed and shows v5.4.5 with UUID:00.00.00.00.01

ISY Portal cannot find it. Currently running sudo reboot again.

UPDATE: IoX Finder found proper UUID but would not launch Admin Console
after IoX refresh now shows UUID 00.00.00.00.00.01 and now launches IoX but System Busy will not go away.

988955634_badUUID.thumb.jpg.ae2af09c17d6f00022e83321b15fdb22.jpg

Edited by larryllix

@Chris JahnI can gather the data that you want but I can't get to that point. The system does not come back after I click the IoX Restart button. When I try to login after a restart, I get the two errors below. After that, ISY finder will not find the Polisy until  I  reboot Polisy via shutdown -r (or power cycle)

Edit: Instead of clicking IoX Restart, I did a service isy restart from the command line. After the 2nd issuance of the command, I was able to get it. At the end of the log, I excluded and then included the same Multisensor 6 2 times.

Top error upon IoX Restart.jpg

2nd error upon IoX Restart.jpg

mylog.zip

Edited by gviliunas

I am a bit confused, can this "on everything" run on my original ISY99i (non-zwave)? 

My ISY hasn't been working correctly the last few weeks, power cycling didn't help, usually my next step is to apply firmware. Currently on 5.3.4. 

I also don't see in the release post how to get the files to apply the update. Sorry for the ignorance. Hoping for some guidance. Most of my programs are only half working, its very odd.

I'm having the same issue as @gviliunas.  Everything seemed good with the upgrade, no issues at all.  When trying to add a zwave device it looks like its adding it but no devices show up in the tree.   I'm using a ZEN32 Scene Controller as a test device.  I'm guessing its something to do with security changes.  I was never asked to or see a way to put the device code in and it has S2 security.

ISY-Events-Log.v5.5.0__Thu 2022.12.15 08.01.27 AM.txt

My experience:

1. I had updated my Polisy earlier today, so I was as up to date as I likely could be.
  2. Clicked the Upgrade Packages button, then waited an hour.  ioX never came back up and checking in top showed no activity on pkg or anything else related.
  3. Gave Polisy a soft reboot (sudo reboot), after about 5 minutes IoX came up, but after another hour Polyglot3 hadn't started.
  4. Clicked the Upgrade Packages button again, within 2 minutes Polyglot was up and running.

I haven't switched to the new ZMatter board and have both it and Zooz installed, but am still working on the Zooz for the moment until there's some more migration experience for me to read up on.  Once it got up and running, it runs basically like 5.4.5.

• Like 1

I am also getting the situation as @gviliunas where when adding a ZWave device (in this case an Aeotec gen7 Repeater) it just seems to time out on the interview stage. The device is connected to the network (I can exclude it again) but doesn't show up in the device list.

Here is some output from /var/isy/FILES/LOG/ZWAY.LOG after including it:

[2022-12-15 09:52:49.983] [I] [...] Saving configuration data to ./FILES/CONF/ZYCFG/zddx/c016c849-DevicesData.xml
[2022-12-15 09:52:50.031] [E] [isy] [Device 2] Interview not complete: numCC=14 numCCDone=1 numCCAttempted=2
[2022-12-15 09:52:50.031] [I] [isy] UYZSyncManager:  [Device 2] Guess Interview Done false : numCC=14 numCCDone=1 numCCAttemp 

When I go to exclude the device, it completes successfully very quickly.

I've attached the zwave log of me including then excluding the device

mylog.txt

I updated from 5.4.5 this morning using the Upgrade Packages button, and the process hung.
Poked around a bit, and found that pkg was version 1.18.4 and upgrade was looping with the error "New version of pkg detected; it needs to be installed first."
Fix for me was to run "sudo pkg install -r udi pkg" then upgrade as per usual.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat as @gviliunas, @mwaite75 and @csteenwyk.  The exclude completes quickly, but the include times out in the interview.  I cold booted the Polisy, so there might be something missing from file early in the startup.

EDIT:  I'm going to do what I probably should, and that's factory reset the Z-Wave dongle and rebuild my Z-Wave network.  It's not so big and cumbersome that it'll take that long, and I'm interested to see how it looks with a fresh start.  Once in a while it's good to let my OCD impulses run... 😁

MYLOG.TXT

Edited by Bumbershoot

It seems the update package is permission locked.

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo pkg install -r udi pkg
Password:
Updating udi repository catalogue...
udi repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
New version of pkg detected; it needs to be installed first.
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
        pkg: 1.18.4 -> 1.19.0 [udi]

Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

8 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Fetching pkg-1.19.0.pkg: 100%    8 MiB   8.6MB/s    00:01
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[1/1] Upgrading pkg from 1.18.4 to 1.19.0...
[1/1] Extracting pkg-1.19.0: 100%
process with pid 17542 still holds the lock
pkg: Cannot get an advisory lock on a database, it is locked by another process
[admin@polisy ~]$
Password:

8 MiB to be downloaded.

[admin@polisy ~]$

4 hours ago, Eric2XU said:

I am a bit confused, can this "on everything" run on my original ISY99i (non-zwave)? 

My ISY hasn't been working correctly the last few weeks, power cycling didn't help, usually my next step is to apply firmware. Currently on 5.3.4. 

I also don't see in the release post how to get the files to apply the update. Sorry for the ignorance. Hoping for some guidance. Most of my programs are only half working, its very odd.

For now, this update is for Polisy only.  For the ISY994i, the last version of firmware available is the version you're on, 5.3.4.

@larryllix That message indicates that the pkg process is already running. If it is looping like mine, you can "sudo killall pkg" to stop it. I would only do that if I could confirm what pkg is doing first
You might want to create a ticket if you are unfamiliar with *nix system administration, killing upgrade processes willy-nilly can lead to instability and bricked devices.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, larryllix said:

It seems the update package is permission locked.

Password:

8 MiB to be downloaded.

[admin@polisy ~]$
Password:

8 MiB to be downloaded.

[admin@polisy ~]$

This means that process 17542 is still running.  The process might be hung, or just busy.  If it continues, you might consider giving your machine an orderly shutdown/restart -- I wouldn't pull the plug on it:

sudo shutdown -r now

• Thanks 1

@rob.bushkaufer,

Thank you very much. Just found that issue working on @mbking 's unit. The way the upgrade process works is to first check for an upgrade to udx. If none is available, then it continues upgrading packages including the kernel. If udx does have an update, then it will install udx first and then exits. Once udx restarts, it starts the upgrade again. 

For some reason pkg is not being upgraded automatically. We are trying to find the root cause. Should have a fix shortly. 

@larryllix, precisions for variables are way down on our list of things to do. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2